Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One step at a time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Sosa wrote: »
    Im at
    22:18 for 4m = 5:35p
    28:24 for 5m = 5:40p
    36:16 for 10k = 5:50p

The 10k was the week after the 5m race and i did way to much that week,cost me 5s a mile,i reckon that day.

I only need to knock off 55s from my 5m to get under 27:30,all going well,i'll be under 28 early next year and possibly undr 27:30 in the summer.
    Its possible.

You should go sub-28 for 5mile during summer, aim for that, the rest will follow !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

tisnotover wrote: »
    You should go sub-28 for 5mile during summer, aim for that, the rest will follow !

Not really spoilt for choice tno.
    The GSK 5 is on 4 weeks after cork,i wont be ready for that.
    Its usually a target race for me,im looking at the ardmore 5 in august,supposed to be a decent course for a pb attempt.

Date|Miles|Ave pace|Type|Weather|Weeks to Cork
    10-05-10|18.5|6:55p Overall|Long|Very Very Windy :(|4
    11-05-10|5.3|8;05|Recovery|Very Windy|4
    12-05-10|||||4
    13-05-10|||||4
    14-05-10|||||4
    15-05-10|||||4
    16-05-10|||||4

Just 5 slow recovery miles today and just as well as my friend the wind was out in force again.
    I'm getting fed up of this !

Long 16+|Med 12-16|Aerobic|Vo2|Recovery|Race|Total
    10|3|24|3|11|3|54

Wk 1|Wk 2|Wk 3|Wk 4|Wk 5|Wk 6
    61|58.23|58.47|58.7|60.2|62|

Wk 7|Wk 8|Wk 9|Wk 10|Wk 11|Wk 12
    55.5|46.8|32.6||||

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

im sure your consistency will pay off. keep it up.
    ps
    might'nt suit ya but the streets of galway 8km is a great race august 8th !
    chip timed fairly flat and limited to about 2000 entrants. nice race through the streets :)

im sure your consistency will pay off. keep it up.
    ps
    might'nt suit ya but the streets of galway 8km is a great race august 8th !
    chip timed fairly flat and limited to about 2000 entrants. nice race through the streets :)

thanks MFA...i heard of that race in Galway,i know a few runners who go up there every year and love it.
    Highly unlikely i will be travelling up to Galway for an 8k race though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Not really spoilt for choice tno.
    The GSK 5 is on 4 weeks after cork,i wont be ready for that.
    Its usually a target race for me,im looking at the ardmore 5 in august,supposed to be a decent course for a pb attempt.

Ardmore is a great one for PBs Sosa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Your talking yourself out of this marathon. I am better suited to shorter stuff rubbish..........
    From your three races this yr in my opinion your best race was the 10 miler. I was reading somewhere else that nxt year hopefully you wont be doing a marathon.Sounds to me that you are having a cop out before the event. If you want sub 3 run 90 flat to halfway and you will be at a 5 tiredness out of 10. No risk of not breaking 3 hours if you do that.

Your talking yourself out of this marathon. I am better suited to shorter stuff rubbish..........
    From your three races this yr in my opinion your best race was the 10 miler. I was reading somewhere else that nxt year hopefully you wont be doing a marathon.Sounds to me that you are having a cop out before the event. If you want sub 3 run 90 flat to halfway and you will be at a 5 tiredness out of 10. No risk of not breaking 3 hours if you do that.

If your saying i have doubts about sub 3 VR,your right...I have doubt...serious doubts.
    How can i possibly think otherwise,with the disaster in Dublin and Wexford not working out last week either.
    I am more suited to the shorter stuff,theres nothing wrong with saying that...endurance does not come easy to me...speedwork does.
    Thats not to say im talking myself out of it,i have trained hard the last 9 weeks with 4 more to go and will be giving it everything on the day,but,i have to mind myself in the first 18-20m or its all over again,and i do hope im not doing a marathon next year because that will mean i broke sub 3 and can concentrate on getting my shorter race times down further.

I know your just trying to gee me up...thanks

11-05-10|5.3|8:05|Recovery|Very Windy|4
    12-05-10|10|7:25|Aerobic|Not too windy|4
    13-05-10|Rest||||4
    14-05-10|||||4
    15-05-10|||||4
    16-05-10|||||4

Its been a long long time since i did an easy 10,everything is >6 or <15 ( hope i have those right way round ) so this was a pleasure this morning,out my old 8.5m route through the rolling country lanes out past ballygunner...really enjoyed this.
    I had 6x10s hill sprints to do at the end but felt a little something in my right achilles/ankle area so knocked that on the head.

Rest day tomorrow before an LSR on friday.

10|3|25|3|11|3|55

55.5|46.8|32.6||||

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Looks like youve put in a nice bit of mileage overall in your training plan. You're deffo in the right shape to get sub 3..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

If your saying i have doubts about sub 3 VR,your right...I have doubt...serious doubts.
    How can i possibly think otherwise,with the disaster in Dublin and Wexford not working out last week either.
    I am more suited to the shorter stuff,theres nothing wrong with saying that...endurance does not come easy to me...speedwork does.
    Thats not to say im talking myself out of it,i have trained hard the last 9 weeks with 4 more to go and will be giving it everything on the day,but,i have to mind myself in the first 18-20m or its all over again,and i do hope im not doing a marathon next year because that will mean i broke sub 3 and can concentrate on getting my shorter race times down further.

I know your just trying to gee me up...thanks

I seriously thought you would run a good one in wexford. The mind plays horrible games in longer races.In a marathobn you go through bad spells. The problem is you gave up when you couldnt hit your target. If that is true the question is why ?? I honestly think you will run a 2.50 marathon before you run 27.30 for 5.
    Your training has gone really well. I reckon you could run an 86 half marathon after A 90 MIN FIRST HALF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

I seriously thought you would run a good one in wexford. The mind plays horrible games in longer races.In a marathobn you go through bad spells. The problem is you gave up when you couldnt hit your target. If that is true the question is why ?? I honestly think you will run a 2.50 marathon before you run 27.30 for 5.
    Your training has gone really well. I reckon you could run an 86 half marathon after A 90 MIN FIRST HALF.

+1

I gave up on the day at 8m....i had run 7m on my own up hills and into a severe headwind...thats 3 good reasons,and could not face another 5 of them when at the time the best i could have got was around 84 mins.

I will have a bet with you if you want,i guarantee that i will run 27:30 for 5 way before i run 2:50 for a marathon.

Im going to take it real easy for the first half in Cork...to make sure that i have every ounce of energy possible for the 2nd half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

I will have a bet with you if you want,i guarantee that i will run 27:30 for 5 way before i run 2:50 for a marathon.

I don't know about the 'way before'....a minute is a lot to take off the 5 mile time over the summer....you'll prob struggle to hit the consistent mileage over the complete winter so you may not get there before next Spring....at that point, with a sub 3 under the belt in the marathon, probably a very good HM time from waterford in december, would be you be tempted back into running say a spring marathon like Rotterdam?? I think you would be good for <2:50 then with the sub 3 monkey and the endurance doubts off your back....maybe VR is more on the money than you think.....

What I find difficult at the moment is not knowing whether all the training I've been doing is a complete waste, i.e I'll bonk. Whereas for Ballycotton 10 I had absolute confidence that I was getting better each week. If Cork is a complete failure, then I'll be thinking why didn't I just continue tempo's and intervals after Ballycotton and maybe run sub 59min in John Treacy 10 this weekend?

But if things go well in Cork, there'd be a lot less doubts during marathon training next time round....take away the doubts and then suddenly training becomes a lot more 'rewarding'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Gringo78 wrote: »
    What I find difficult at the moment is not knowing whether all the training I've been doing is a complete waste, i.e I'll bonk.
    That is the attractiveness of the endurance event. For a 10 mile race, you can run 10 miles the week before at an easier pace, and get a feel for how much extra you can give on the day. You can't predict how a marathon is going to go until at least mile 20, so it's important to get your strategy right on the day, and even then, things can still go astray. Sometimes you just have to take a leap of faith.

I don't think anyone can establish whether or not they are suitable for long or short distances until they have trained for and run at least a couple of successful races at those distances. After running your first 10k fun run, would you decide at that point that you're not suited to running that distance?

I think positivity is important. You've got to take risks, but at the same time, you've got to set out to do the best time that you can on the day, rather than heaping pressure on yourself to hit x or y per mile or finish z minutes under the clock. You've got to enjoy the experience. If nothing else, it keeps your heart rate low and reduces the work levels. You should be running just as comfortably as you do, during your long runs. I like to take breaks during a marathon, where I find someone up ahead who is running at a slower pace, and I file in behind them for 20-30 seconds to force myself to ease off the pace, recover, relax and chill, before pushing on again.

Sorry for the verbal diarrhea/monologue. Just thinking to myself that the end result of marathon training shouldn't be an exam or a test, it should be a reward and an enjoyable experience.

I don't know about the 'way before'....a minute is a lot to take off the 5 mile time over the summer....you'll prob struggle to hit the consistent mileage over the complete winter so you may not get there before next Spring....at that point, with a sub 3 under the belt in the marathon, probably a very good HM time from waterford in december, would be you be tempted back into running say a spring marathon like Rotterdam?? I think you would be good for <2:50 then with the sub 3 monkey and the endurance doubts off your back....maybe VR is more on the money than you think.....

What I find difficult at the moment is not knowing whether all the training I've been doing is a complete waste, i.e I'll bonk. Whereas for Ballycotton 10 I had absolute confidence that I was getting better each week. If Cork is a complete failure, then I'll be thinking why didn't I just continue tempo's and intervals after Ballycotton and maybe run sub 59min in John Treacy 10 this weekend?

But if things go well in Cork, there'd be a lot less doubts during marathon training next time round....take away the doubts and then suddenly training becomes a lot more 'rewarding'.

If Sosa or yourself Gringo go sub-3, I think its fair to say both of ye will park the marathons for a while. A failed attempt at going for a 5mile PB is a lot easier to rectify than one going for a 2:50 (or even <3).

Sounds like your going through the same thought process as me yesterday there, wondering about the training you've done for Cork. Put it this way, if you compare to what you put in last year, there's simply no comparison ! You have to take the confidence from that ??

I don't know about the 'way before'....a minute is a lot to take off the 5 mile time over the summer...

I never said i was going under 27:30 this summer,but certainly have a crack at sub 28 early next year and then sub 27:30 early 2012 or the summer 2011 if all is going well.

I have a 5m next Sat night,doubt i will set a pb as i wont be pushing to the extreme limit....i will be doing the GSK 5 miler 4 weeks after Cork,but only because thats a good event and dont want to miss it,but wont be anywhere near ready for a PB by then,hope to be ready for the Ardmore 5 in August for a lash at a PB attempt.

I never said i was going under 27:30 this summer,but certainly have a crack at sub 28 early next year and then sub 27:30 early 2012 or the summer 2011 if all is going well.

Yeah, thats why I suggested maybe the bet is not such a good idea & VR is probably right. Fast forward to next December 2010....you've just run <78min in the half, you nailed the marathon in Cork running the last 10k picking up the pace all the time, all the doubts are gone, you trust the type of training you did for Cork cos it worked so well........could you see yourself being tempted back into running say Rotterdam where you would run <2:50? All hypothetical but I can see where VR is coming from.

Yeah, thats why I suggested maybe the bet is not such a good idea & VR is probably right. Fast forward to next December 2010....you've just run <78min in the half, you nailed the marathon in Cork running the last 10k picking up the pace all the time, all the doubts are gone, you trust the type of training you did for Cork cos it worked so well........could you see yourself being tempted back into running say Rotterdam where you would run <2:50? All hypothetical but I can see where VR is coming from.

Yeah,if all that happened all the doubts would be gone and the belief in the type of training i did would be there,but just to win the bet i wouldn't run a marathon :D

Put it this way, if you compare to what you put in last year, there's simply no comparison ! You have to take the confidence from that ??

I know I'm heading into the marathon this year better prepared, but preparing better than the cr*p training I did last mar/apr/may is easy (I hadn't a clue how to train then).

My bonk last year was pretty straight forward though....by mile 12 I was running at an avg HR the same as my avg HR for Ballycotton 10. I was also hitting peak HR's equivalent my 4mile race pace HR from about mile 3 meaning I was not running even paced at all and was burning off glycogen stores to beat the band. The fact that I got to 20 miles having only drank half a bottle of lucosade and no gels gives me confidence that I have fairly good energy stores and if I run efficiently, at even effort & take my gels, I won't hit the wall.

• Advertisement

but just to win the bet i wouldn't run a marathon :D

Typical blah...:D

I know I'm heading into the marathon this year better prepared, but preparing better than the cr*p training I did last mar/apr/may is easy (I hadn't a clue how to train then).

My bonk last year was pretty straight forward though....by mile 12 I was running at an avg HR the same as my avg HR for Ballycotton 10. I was also hitting peak HR's equivalent my 4mile race pace HR from about mile 3 meaning I was not running even paced at all and was burning off glycogen stores to beat the band. The fact that I got to 20 miles having only drank half a bottle of lucosade and no gels gives me confidence that I have fairly good energy stores and if I run efficiently, at even effort & take my gels, I won't hit the wall.

Read Abhainn's race report last nite, very good read. So is Misty Floyd's and aero2k's report from DCM last year, have a look at his mile splits:

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AcN2ILvWdxnoZHM0ZjJ0OV8wZ25uaGczZGo&hl=en

Very tempted to go out with yourself and Sosa on this one !

Read Abhainn's race report last nite, very good read. So is Misty Floyd's and aero2k's report from DCM last year, have a look at his mile splits:

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AcN2ILvWdxnoZHM0ZjJ0OV8wZ25uaGczZGo&hl=en

Very tempted to go out with yourself and Sosa on this one !

You should,we wont be legging it off,i have learned from dublin,and will be easing into it.
    We would help each other along.
    I like the sound of that,at least we wll be together for the first half...and whatever happens after that,we will deal with it.

13-05-10|Rest||||4
    14-05-10|20.5|7:08 Overall|Long|Sunny,warm and windy|4
    15-05-10|||||4
    16-05-10|||||4

My best ever LSR today,felt sluggish starting off,but got into it after 4/5m.
    Plan today was 10 easy and then 10 around pmp.
    Not to much focus on the splits today as it was still very windy in parts.
    The 10 easy just flew along,i was listeneing to Tom Dunne on newstalk and before i knew it i had passed the 10m point in 1:15:44 ...7:34p...bombed on then for the next 10,mile after mile went by,but i didnt do them as fast today and went slower up the hills and into the strong headwing when it was there and faster at other oppurtunities.
    This strategy felt real easy....
    Did the last 10 in 1:07:08 - 6:42p...delighted with that and could have kept going.
    0.5m recovery then to get to 20.5m for the day.

I did take 3 gels this morning (with 3 small bottles of high5 4:1 super carb drink...) though,something i never do for LSR's but had to try them out for cork.
    They were high5 gels,didn't say isotonic on the wrap but they were very watery and easy to take and obviously gave me a kick as the run felt easy.
    Thats that sorted for cork,i wont take them again now.

Sungod is coming up to Cork with me,so i will have my high5 up there.

11|3|25|3|11|3|56

55.5|46.8|32.6||||

You should,we wont be legging it off,i have learned from dublin,and will be easing into it.
    We would help each other along.
    I like the sound of that,at least we wll be together for the first half...and whatever happens after that,we will deal with it.

Could get to half way's together alrite, but i'd say i'd def be erring on the conservative side if I saw ye flying off, ye are over two mins faster over 10miles than me like !

Very nice run there today, I ike the last 10miles!, good to get the gels tried out too. I can keep the hi-5 all to myself so in Cork ;)

Could get to half way's together alrite, but i'd say i'd def be erring on the conservative side if I saw ye flying off, ye are over two mins faster over 10miles than me like !

Very nice run there today, I ike the last 10miles!, good to get the gels tried out too. I can keep the hi-5 all to myself so in Cork ;)

Yeah,i will have my own supplies.....
    Felt great today,some difference from Monday,rest day yesterday helped and the 3 gels....

13-05-10|Rest||||4
    15-05-10|6|8:24|Recovery|Dull but warm|4
    16-05-10|||||4

Nice stroll of a run with Sungod and Dukie this morning.
    Very leisurely pace that never quickened thankfully.
    My right quad was a bit sore from yesterdays efforts.not injured,just muscle soreness which is no big deal.
    I had 5 planned for tomorrow morning to bring the weeks running over 65m but if its not perfect in the morning i will give it a miss as 5m at 7:30/40p is not going to hamper any plans at this stage.
    Have to be cautious.
    I got the green light to race the Portlaw 5 next Saturday which is great news,that will keep me going next week now.

11|3|25|3|12|3|57

55.5|46.8|32.6||||

13-05-10|Rest||||4
    15-05-10|6|8:24|Recovery|Dull but warm|4
    16-05-10|Rest||||4

Decided not to run today,the legs were ok but i started off with the power hose out the front and got carried away...spent 5hrs out there...slouched on the couch now....no interest in a run.

Official taper time now,but really starts next monday as this week i'll do the guts of 50m inc the race next saturday...

3 weeks to go now....that was a fast 10 weeks from when i started off the program.
    It was a good decision to go for 13 weeks as i had the low mileage recovery week recently which was the plan.

11|3|25|3|12|3|57

55.5|46.8|32.6|60.3|||

17-05-10|4|7:24|Aerobic|Fantastic Sunshine|3
    18-05-10|||||3
    19-05-10|||||3
    20-05-10|||||4
    21-05-10|||||3
    22-05-10|||||3
    23-05-10|||||3

Lovely run in glorious conditions.
    Finished off with the customary Monday 6x10s hill sprints.
    Last LSR tomorrow :D

This week has more or less the same layout as last week,just cutting back some miles on the runs to drop 10m overall.

11|3|26|3|12|3|58

55.5|46.8|32.6|60.3|||

• Advertisement

17-05-10|4|7:24|Aerobic|Fantastic Sunshine|3
    18-05-10|17|7:09p Overall|Long|Dull and very windy again|3
    19-05-10|||||3
    20-05-10|||||4
    21-05-10|||||3
    22-05-10|||||3
    23-05-10|||||3

For some reason i was exhausted last night,fell asleep on the couch around 9:30...woke up at 1...didn't know what year it was...crawled up the stairs trying my best not to wake up...and still found it hard to get out of the bed at 7:30 ....
    I had thoughts of doing 20 again today but decided against it from early in the run and went for 17 instead.
    I have plenty of LSR's done and even though this was the last one,don't feel bad about reducing it.
    I did 5 easy followed by 4-3-2-1 @ pmp and 1m easy.
    The recovery inbetween sets was another mile,making 17 altogether.
    The 3 i cut short wwere only going to be slow anyway.

5 @ 7:40,7:36,7:38,7:43 & 7:38
    4 @ 6:55,7:00,6:48,6:38
    3 min jog
    3 @ 6:36,6:42,6:31
    3 min jog
    2 @ 6:44,6:39
    3 min jog
    1 @ 6:49
    1 @ 7:47

Thats it for me on LSR's...lads and ladies....

Taper started on my last mile of 7:47 and i was smiling.
    Very little for the rest of the week....rest tomorrow...followed by a couple of 4's,then the race Saturday night and a slow 12 Sunday morning.

12|3|26|3|12|3|59

55.5|46.8|32.6|60.3|||

Advertisement