Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One step at a time

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Great run but I agree with sosa. It wont count until you do it in dungarvan. I would rather it 10.1 as thats normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Great time regardless Sosa, well done. would be good to know if everyone else had under 10m on their garmins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Sosa wrote: »
    Good news and bad news...

The good news is i broke the hour...59:53
    The bad news is my garmin had the distance at 9.95m.

Full report later

That's a bit **** but you're pretty much there anyway....do it officially in Dungarvan. I reckon the 81m you were short would have taken you 18sec giving you 60:11. A great time and coincidentally my PB for the distance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

well done sosa, either way it sould give you great confidence going forward! what was the ave pace/mile on the garmin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Great run but I agree with sosa. It wont count until you do it in dungarvan. I would rather it 10.1 as thats normal.

Its not valid,all it does is prove to me that i will beat that on a flatter 10m route and also that a sub 80 half is within my reach.
    Great time regardless Sosa, well done. would be good to know if everyone else had under 10m on their garmins.

Was talking to the winner after and his was 9.95 also.
    Gringo78 wrote: »
    That's a bit **** but you're pretty much there anyway....do it officially in Dungarvan. I reckon the 81m you were short would have taken you 18sec giving you 60:11. A great time and coincidentally my PB for the distance!

60:10 actually gringo...:D
    finished witha 5:39 paced last mile so i put 0.05m at 5:39p into the running calc and i got 17s...add that on and you get 60:10...
    nice to stay ahead of the rebels !
    seanynova wrote: »
    well done sosa, either way it sould give you great confidence going forward! what was the ave pace/mile on the garmin?

6:01p seany...lost time on hilly miles and gained on a few downhills,but just not enough.

Run for Life 10m ( 9.95m )

Bitter sweet today,broke the hour but the course was short...some would claim it,i am not one of those people...at the pace i ran the last mile,the extra 0.05m would have taken me 17s....brining me up to 60:10...still a PB by 26s so although i cant take that either...its nice to know that i WILL do it in Dungarvan and that a sub 80 at the half in December has now become a very real possibility.

The Race

I positioned myslf in the front row today for the first time as i meant business and i was right to do so as very quickly we were off and i was second after about 200 metres,quickly reigned myself in when i saw 5:23p...and slowed acordingly to do the first mile in 5:50...very nicely done and now in 4th position.
    The next mile was almost flat and got through that in 5:57/8...going nicely along and enjoying the good weather.
    Mile 3 & 4 were all uphill,nothing mountainous but steady up all the way and lost time here,both arond 6:10/11...no panic as i knew this would happen,i just sped up on the flats and downhills trying to make up time.
    Mile 5 has a big downhill so i was able to clip down there very nicely,long stride,minimal effort to go sub 6 on that mile...passed through 5 in 30:10...slipping a bit but hills are hills nd you cant burst up them totally or you will blow up,i was going as fast as i could manage while staying in control.
    Mile 6 was ok...a little downhill and some flat,did that one sub 6 also....was getting tired after 6 but knew the real hills were coming so was just trying to stay in control and not let it bother me.
    Mile 7 had a nasty climb in it and it took a bit out of me,i was over 6:00 here,but not to much so trying to do the maths i thought at that stage that sub 60 was well on but then the first half of mile 8 had 2 nasty,nasty hills that killed me...i was 6:30p for the first half of that mile,i got that back to 6:15p overall for the mile through sheer hard work,which also nearly killed me,forgot then to look at the watch passing 8,but felt then that i needed 2m in around 11:30...to do it,felt it was gone then...but pushed on as best i could to try break my 60:36 time from earlier in the year...mile9 was favourable,some downhill and flat but one hill in there jut so you didnt forget the others,when i crested th last hill i knew that it was all flat and downhill from here on and felt a suge come from somewhere...did m9 under 6 also and then let the shackles off...bombed the last mile like a 400m interval...didnt look at the garmin once,coming nito the park i saw the clock...59:39...59:40...jesus chr~!st i though im going to do it...flew up the finishing straight with every ounce i had to cross the line in 59:53...waited on the celebrations until i looked at the distance covered...9.95m....i wasnt gutted as i knew that i wasnt going to cover that in 6s so kind of felt relieved.....
    But a great result that has stoked the fires now for the half in december and dungarvan in january.....

I really didnt feel i was in that sort of shape today,so im delighted with the performance and result.
    4th place also,my highest to date and i unofficially smashed my PB by 26s.

Happy Days

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/53307465

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

A bit of bitter sweet as you say Sosa, but a very good race and time nonetheless, tx for the race report and splits.

I've no doubt you'll smash that time in Dungarvan, you know what it takes now.

tisnotover wrote: »
    A bit of bitter sweet as you say Sosa, but a very good race and time nonetheless, tx for the race report and splits.

I've no doubt you'll smash that time in Dungarvan, you know what it takes now.

I am happy to let it hold until Dungarvn,will be all the sweeter to do it at a real race with a few around me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Great running sham, well done

• Advertisement

60:10 actually gringo...:D
    finished witha 5:39 paced last mile so i put 0.05m at 5:39p into the running calc and i got 17s...add that on and you get 60:10...
    nice to stay ahead of the rebels .

We'll discuss your dubious maths in Dungarvan Sosa....until then I'll leave you off. Great time especially since you basically ran it solo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

running performance: :)
    poss short course: :mad:

Recovery 4.2m @ 7:39p

A nice easy run today just to do something,no ill effects from yesterday and the pace was very easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

well done yesterday sosa, sounds like a very well paced, controlled run - sub 80 now in december and you'll have finished off a great year of running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭jfh

well done sosa, i've been following your log for a while now, watching the progress you have made is amazing and and it's a great motivation for the rest of us to keep up the hard work.

Aerobic 8m @ 7:04p

Its been a busy few days for me since the race Sunday,i was supposed to be working the night after the race but Mrs Sosa was not feeling the best and with only 2 weeks to go to the new arrival i took the night off to stay at home and just as well i did as we were out inthe hospital early monday morning and we welcomed our new baby boy that evening at 6:02....a bit of a whirlwind of a day,then on tuesday i had a medical for a new job (which if i didnt pass,something would be wrong somewhere)...which i got :Dand then i was up there talking to the HR people finalising everything...so tuesday my head was all over the place with the new littleman and new job to add to the mix.
    I now have the bones of 2 weeks with the famly before i start the new job on Nov 1st...happy days,10 mins from the house....

The run today just kind of happened,dropped the big fellas hurley and helmet into him to play after school and not worth my while heading off to come back again so i got a nice 8 done in fantastic Spring weather.

Dont know when i will run again,no plans....maybe tomorrow,maybe the w/e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

we welcomed our new baby boy that evening at 6:02....

congrats sosa!!

he arrived at 6:02, was that 6:02m/m by any chance? he is off to a good start!!!! ;)

all the best lad....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Congrats on the new arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

great stuff Sosa, congrats on the newborn and the new job, happy days :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

Congrats on both counts Sosa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

+2. congrats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Good man x 3 . best wishes on your young lad , 9 days early??
    New job close to home friggin lucky man, & sub 60 10 miler - take it as who says garmins are 100% correct??

Abhainn wrote: »
    Good man x 3 . best wishes on your young lad , 9 days early??
    New job close to home friggin lucky man, & sub 60 10 miler - take it as who says garmins are 100% correct??

He was due the 29th...i suppose he was eager to get here
    They say good things come in three's alright,but i did the lotto last night anyway as i can do no wrong this week !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

ah brilliant. Congrats to you and your partner. Hope all are well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Congrats on the new arrival and nice one on the new job too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Congrats - what's Santa Claus bringing you?
    BOB_Ironman.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Congratulations, you'll have to source some size 1 XC spikes for the little fella :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Huge congrats sosa, hope wife and baby are doing well.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Congrats - what's Santa Claus bringing you?
    BOB_Ironman.jpg

How much is that going for beepbeep? :D
    Mines at the age now were it could be fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

+1 congrats. happydays.

Congrats, delighted to read that and great news on the jobs front. I suppose you'll be able to run to and from work so???

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Congrats, delighted to read that and great news on the jobs front. I suppose you'll be able to run to and from work so???

that will be the plan gringo...its about 6m the long way,4 the short way.
    Both have a nice few hills in there.
    I'll suss out all that in due time.

My luck has run out though,i didnt win the lotto last night ! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Woddle wrote: »
    How much is that going for beepbeep? :D
    Mines at the age now were it could be fun.

Check the logo - it's an IM one, wouldn't fancy dragging it behind me on a swim though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

congrats Sosa, great news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭aero2k

Hi Sosa,

Sorry I didn't get on here in time to wish you good luck in the 10 - I was thinking of you on the day.

Congratulations on the new arrival, the new job, and that fantastic run. It sounds like you did a great job of coping with the hills, sometimes I think it's not just that they're physically harder to run up, but that they disrupt your rhythm and when you see the pace slipping on the watch it can be a head wrecker too.

You'll smash 60 in Dungarvan.

aero2k wrote: »
    Hi Sosa,

Sorry I didn't get on here in time to wish you good luck in the 10 - I was thinking of you on the day.

Congratulations on the new arrival, the new job, and that fantastic run. It sounds like you did a great job of coping with the hills, sometimes I think it's not just that they're physically harder to run up, but that they disrupt your rhythm and when you see the pace slipping on the watch it can be a head wrecker too.

You'll smash 60 in Dungarvan.

Thanks aero,its been a pretty good week,and its not over yet...we havethe euro millions tonightand the bumper lotto tomorrow...so it might get better :D

My race plan was to slow on hills and speed up on the downhills and it worked well,i tried to even out the effort over the course of the race.
    It was a tad short at 9.95,so i would have been 60:10...but it was only a charity race that i ran on my own from start to finish and not a farourable route to add to the mix,with all that in mind.....roll on Dungarvan !

I have not run since last wedneday...4 days ! my longest stretch without a run since i started my 2m slog around the estate 3 years ago....i was itching for a run today,i was ready to explode...but being up to my eyes in nappies and night feeds,sterilising bottles and so on...meant that i was lucky to get out today tbh.

No plan for the run,just to run and feel the cool breeze agaist my face...ah how i missed that the last couple of days.

Watching the botched up live stream of the marathon that froze every 2 mins nearly drove me round the twist...i had to get the gear on...and quick.

Bombed up the hill of the estate and it just kept going from there.
    I did the first 5m in 30:58 and slowed a bit then on the very hilly 6th mile,when i saw that mile only took me 6:40 i decided to keep clipping along,finishing the last 3 all under 6:30 and it felt nice and easy.

Total miles 8.5
    Average pace 6:18

Well done to everyone that ran in dublin today,cant wait to read the reports tonight

Intervals

Thankfully got out today for these,the plan was 8*800 but could only do 6 due to time constraints...pity.

1.5m warm up
    6*800 @ 5:27p,5:28p,5:30p,5:29p,5:26p,5:23p
    1 min walk,1 min jog rec
    1.5m warm down
    7m total

The plan was to keep them around 5:30p but i was finding the pace tough,a few sleepless nights since the new man of the house came home saturday and a few windy sections of the park were the cause,surprisingly the first 4 were tough and the last 2 felt much easier,it was a pity i could not do the last 2 reps.

I have entered the half in Dec where i am determined to break 80 mins regardless of lack of sleep/new job/less running...i feel i can still do it with all that thrown at me.
    I reckon i will be lucky to get 4 days running a week,some will be 3 i'd say.
    The idea is a short interval,long interval and med long a week,if i get a fourth in it will be easy with hill repeats.

well done again to all at DCM,some cracking tmes there...the sub3 group is expanding rapidly...now we have a good few under 2:50 and 2:40...great running...

Aerobic 6.5m w/6*160m hill repeats

While all you DCM runners are puttng the feet up,i was out in the lashing wind and rain tonight...and loved every step of it !

I did the first 4m around 6:55p...that got me nearly a half mile away to the hill i picked tonight...so i jogged up to that and went straight into them...it was 0.1 of a mile and i dont know how long they took me as i was pitch dark, so i went on effort...160m back down as a recovery and off again....felt good and will increase these to 10 on a harder hill in the lead up to the half.
    After those i had about a mile back to the house which i used as a recovery as i dont have time for a proper recovery run,i will use the odd mile at the end of a session for now.

7:14p Overall

Aim now is to somehow get 15 done over the w/e....6 weeks to the half and i want to do 5 med long in the next 5 weeks if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Congrats on all of the very fine achievements Sosa! Great news, and a great run too. Lucky man!

Med Long 13.11m ( Waterford half route )

A glorious morning for a run,started off sluggish but got to 5m and started motoring from then finishing fast.
    The aim is to do a 14/15m run for the next 4 w/e and finish them fast...
    1 mile today...2m next week and so on.
    Similar set up to my marathon training for cork..it stood me in good stead for that.

Nipped under the 90 mins for the half route which was nice as i started consevatively but got stronger as i went on.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/54833034

35.11m for the week...not good mileage but i did alot with it...thats about all i can manage up to the half....if i have 4 more weeks like this i will have a great shot at breaking 80 ( weather permitting )

• Advertisement

Intervals

Not in the humour for these today,but i got an hour spare and time is precious so i went for it.

1.3m warm up
    6*800m @ 5:29p ave
    1 min walk and 1 min jog recovery inbetween reps.
    1.3m warm down

I had planned to do 8 but a mixture of time going against me and the lasagne i had at lunch,i called it a day at 6.
    I only did 6 last week also,certainly will do 8 next week.

6.6m total

Tempo

Its a big change for me not to have any easy/recovery runs...you always have to be on your game even if you are not in the mood and so was the case this morning...
    10m run...6 easy with the last 4 planned sub 6 pace.

Set off nice and handy,the forst 1.5m was uphill but no wind...no hassle...then i turned right at the hospital and i was hit by a tornado which i battled against for the next 4.5m...that got me to 6m in 44 mins...7:20 pace which felt easy enough going into that wind so probably more like sub 7:10p on a nice day...
    Then we hit the 4 fast miles...
    Mile 1 - 6:07
    Mile 2 - 5:56
    Mile 3 - 5:57
    Mile 4 - 5:58

23:58 for 4m

Fell asleep a bit on mle 1 and was 6:12p through the first half of it...got it back to 6:07....and motored from there...the last mile was tough but got there...plan is to hopefully hit 5 in sub 30 next week.

Total 10m in 68:02
    6:48 Pace

Aerobic

The big fella was finshed school early today so i went down a bit earlier again to collect him,parked up outside the front gates and got a sneaky 5.7 done...happy to fit it in.

5.7m @ 7:01p

Tomorrow he has hurling in the morning...my hill repeats
    Sunday he has a party...my med long

:D

Hill Repeats

Lovely morning for it,would be ideal for the half in 5 weeks if the weather gods are listening.

2.15m warm up @ 7:07p

8*1min hill climb w/1min rec back down
    Pace of reps were 5:32p,6:13p,6:10p,5:55,6:04,5:50,5:51,6:10
    2.3m total.
    67 metre climb

2m warm down @ 6:59p

6.45m total

Very happy with the effort this morning,but should i take longer recoveries ?
    I found that i was running out of hill after 3,had to go up through an estate...thankfully was all hilly in the area i went to this morning but if i took 90s rec,i could stay on the main hill and do them faster.

Which is better ?
    I would like to hear peoples opinion on this,i am new to hill repeats so not sure on pace i should do them at or rec time inbetween.

-Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Not an expert on hill sessions by any means. Did 1 with the club a few months back but had to ditch them for marathon training specific sessions. The session involved 4 x 1 loop (loop was almost a mile). The mile would have been fairly hilly with a long flat stretch at the end. There would be a 90 second recovery in between. Pace for each loop would have been fairly fast 6 to 7 min pace.

Then the next week, the hill session would have been 4 x 1 loop but with no recovery! Though the pace would be slower than the last week (7 mins and over).

Probably best to mix the hill sessions if youre gonna do them once a week, different distance and pace etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Hill Repeats

Lovely morning for it,would be ideal for the half in 5 weeks if the weather gods are listening.

2.15m warm up @ 7:07p

8*1min hill climb w/1min rec back down
    Pace of reps were 5:32p,6:13p,6:10p,5:55,6:04,5:50,5:51,6:10
    2.3m total.
    67 metre climb

2m warm down @ 6:59p

6.45m total

Very happy with the effort this morning,but should i take longer recoveries ?
    I found that i was running out of hill after 3,had to go up through an estate...thankfully was all hilly in the area i went to this morning but if i took 90s rec,i could stay on the main hill and do them faster.

Which is better ?
    I would like to hear peoples opinion on this,i am new to hill repeats so not sure on pace i should do them at or rec time inbetween.

-Thanks

Hi sosa,

I can only tell you i did, which was a fair amount of hill work in one training block this year; they were pretty much as you described. 1' on a 8 - 10% incline. I'd do you first one - take a mark of where I got to and try and hit that mark on the subsequent ones. I ran them at about 5k in terms of effort but did a straight jog back down recovery keeping it at 90" for the first one and bringing it to 80" as i did more of them

i think in total i did about 5 of these; and then they were replaced with more occasional lighter hills which were 12 X 30" as maintance work. I found them great for strength.

• Advertisement

Med Long

Perfect conditions again today,i had company for once which was nice...
    Plan was 13m with 11 around 7:15 and the last 2 at HMP....
    We did the 13 @ 6:55...with the last at 5:41...would have been better off doing the last 2 at 6:06 (hmp) rather than the fast one...but shur whats done is done.
    I could feel those hill repeats in the legs today.

41.75m for the week,great but tough going with no easy runs.

Rest day tomorrow as i somehow have managed to run the last 4 days :eek:
    Taking it week to week here,no idea what i will get done next week.

3 great sessions in a week.........The new baby isnt holding you back;)
    Have you planned any specific half marathon like at 3 x 3 at half marathon pace with maybe 3 min rec. Your flying it. Keep it.

3 great sessions in a week.........The new baby isnt holding you back;)
    Have you planned any specific half marathon like at 3 x 3 at half marathon pace with maybe 3 min rec. Your flying it. Keep it.

Thanks VR,but i wont be doing 3*3...not a chance...9m at 6:06...no way.
    I have 5 straight planned for next week in my tempo and the following week...2*3....we will see after that.

I will also be doing intervals at some stage...and the med long.
    Maybe only 3 runs next week...i hope to somehow fit in the hill repeats.

Thanks VR,but i wont be doing 3*3...not a chance...9m at 6:06...no way.
    I have 5 straight planned for next week in my tempo and the following week...2*3....we will see after that.

I will also be doing intervals at some stage...and the med long.
    Maybe only 3 runs next week...i hope to somehow fit in the hill repeats.

wHY WOULDNT YOU DO 3 X 3 and cut out one of the sessions ?? Breaking the half hour in training would be sweet.
    I tend to go of the boil after marathons. Put up weight and ass around and will get into it again in december hence why pacing the half suited me.
    Buy the way look up reslts in kilmacthomas 09 just to let you know I finished in front of you. They are a few others.:D:DCant let ye blas get too cocky. Nxt year I will have my work cut out though.

wHY WOULDNT YOU DO 3 X 3 and cut out one of the sessions ?? Breaking the half hour in training would be sweet.
    I tend to go of the boil after marathons. Put up weight and ass around and will get into it again in december hence why pacing the half suited me.
    Buy the way look up reslts in kilmacthomas 09 just to let you know I finished in front of you. They are a few others.:D:DCant let ye blas get too cocky. Nxt year I will have my work cut out though.

Its a victory in itself that you go back to Feb09 to find that :D

I broke 24 for 4 during the week,but would not have managed another one...will have a lash hopefully wednesday

• Advertisement
Advertisement