Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One step at a time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Some quality sessions by ya lately Sosa, good stuff !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Tempo

Lovely crisp morning,had hoped to do 5 straight miles as a tempo but i was fairly knackerd so settled for the 4.....
    Miles wil be scarce this week,hope to get runs in on Saturday and Sunday...i would say that would be it.

4m @ 7:22p
    4m @ 6:02p
    2.2m @ 7:23p

10.2m @ 6:52p

I was so tired doing the first 4 that i didnt plan to get anywhere near 24 mins for the fast 4,i was surprised to get that close...but happy
    Hope to have a stab at 5 in sub 30 next week....we will see how things go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Impressive tempo. You're in good shape with 4 weeks to go. Hoping to toe the line with you in Waterford.

Intervals

I have only ran on wednesday this week and the legs were like jelly starting off this morning,really really not in the humour today...not much sleep this week....

2m warm up really slow @ 8:08p and i thought i may aswell go home at that stage but decided to do as many as i could.
    Then i managed 6*600 all at sub 5:15p...the 5th and 6th were killers and packed it in after that,tbh i was happy to get 6 done,the plan was 10 all week,but realistically 6 was more than enough effort wise today.
    Then 1.6m warm down afterwards.

6.3m total

I hope to get 13/14 easy done tomorrow,no heroics here either as i hope to get the week off to a good start Monday with a tempo (not back to work until tuesday)

Still reckon i am ok for a stab at sub 80 in 4 weeks time.

Med Long

A fantastic day for running,i did an old half route from the house and back that i used to do a while back,not the easiest but the first 8m are out in the peaceful countryside and the last 5 are through the town and back out the dunmore road to the house.
    Felt really good from the ff and was quickly churning out 7mm easily enough....at 8m decided to break 90 mins again and got motoring at that stage knocking out a nice few 6:30/6:40p miles without putting the throttle down at all...finished very strong on the last 2 hilly miles to break 89 mins...very happy :D

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/56669998

13.11m @ 6:47p

Just short of 30m for the week,but as in the last few weeks,i got the most out of what i did.

Recovery

Just had a look back over the last few weeks and i have ran hard without any recoveries or easy runs so after the intervals on Sat and yesterdays session i decided that a tempo today would be a bit much so opted for a recovery stroll instead.

5m @ 7:56p

Rest tomorrow and i might run to and from work on wednesday...maybe
    Intervals Thursday then....
    This week i am going to do my tempo as part of my med long...cos i cant get the time to do them seperately this week...thinking of 4*2m in there with 2min rec...3 easy at either end aswell.

Intervals

A blustery morning but it was interval time,so go the gear on and headed to the park.

2m warm up @ 7:02p
    6*800 @ 5:24p,5:27p,5:30p,5:24p,5:32p,5:26p
    2min recovery ( 1 min walk,1 min jog )
    2.2m warm down @ 7:48p

I felt great for the first 2,then the next 2 were a bit harder.
    I thought today was the day i would get the 8 done but the 5th and 6th were really hard so ended it there.
    My current energy levels just wont let me push to where i was getting to before no.2 arrived,but i am happy to get a good 6 reps done.

8.2m total

Tempo

Had a bg session planned for today...15m w/4*2m @ hmp...but time restraints put paid to that,got out for 7.2m,so had to make the most outof it.

1m Warm up @ 7:09p

4m @ 5:52,5:55,6:03 & 5:48
    23:38 ( 5:54 Pace )

2.2m warm down @ 7:52,7:39,8:02 ( 0.2 )

7.2m @ 6:38p Overall

Today was the day to break the 30 mins as all i needed to do was a 6:21 5th mile but i just didnt have time,the 2.2 warm down was mostly uphill out the dunmore road and thee was no way i was flogging it up there !

Next week is another week......

Thats only 3 runs this week,20.4m in total.....
    I am going to try get 75/80m done over the next 2 weeks before the weeks taper leading up to the race...def need a 15 miler next week ( somehow )

Recovery

I felt a slight pull on my left glute during yesterdays warm down and was mildly concerned so headed outfor a recovery 5 tonight to test it out.
    No ill effects thankfully and enjoyed the chill of the November night.

5m @ 8:00p ( 39:59 )

Set out to try get as close to 40:00 as possible,i did look at the watch about once a mile but didnt adjust my speed or anything,had a nice feel for 8:00p tonight,its a welcome break !

Impressed with the training lately Sosa. Packing a lot of quality into the reduced time available but not forcing it, you still know when slow miles are called for. Impressive tempo yesterday also.

• Advertisement

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Impressed with the training lately Sosa. Packing a lot of quality into the reduced time available but not forcing it, you still know when slow miles are called for. Impressive tempo yesterday also.

Thanks Gringo,
    Since i started running i have always been mindful not to push to much and its stood to me so far....
    The small fella is 5 weeks old now and the first 3 weeks i was stll kind of buzzing,now im just tired...ands its hard to get motivated to run,let alone tempos and intervals...and sub 90 min half milers...but i want to break 80 in 3 weeks and also 60 in January...if i do both on this low mileage.....it will give me food for thought when i have more time again ( in about 5 years :rolleyes: )

Are you coming down for the half ?
    Would be nice to have the company enroute,i can return the favour of course knowledge...i could run the route blindfolded,i know every bump and lump....

Intervals

A kind of a make-shift session tonight,had planned to get to the track with the club for 16*400's but got caught up in town doing a bit of shopping and by the time i got home i could have dorve down but would have had no warm up,so that had disaster written all over it.
    Instead i headed off on my own about an hour after coming home...

2m warm up @ 7:12p

4:51,4:52,4:44,4:53,4:46,4:56,4:46,
    4:48,4:44,4:58,4:50,4:54,4:51,4:48 Pace
    w/1min rec
    3.5m Total

2m warm down @ 7:57p

7.5m total

Enjoyed that !

Recovery / Aerobic

My first time running in and home from work.
    Left the house at the spritely hour of 5:55 ....it was fuppin freezin'...i was wrapped up to the gills but my face was numb for the first mile...got warmed up after that and took it very handy over the roads...got some enjoyable queer looks from drivers who obviously thought i was cracked...

3.5m @ 7:46p

The return leg was much better,ran some of the wintr league route and got traffic stopped for me and everything...cant ask for more than that

3.5m @ 7:19p

Sosa wrote: »
    Are you coming down for the half ?
    Would be nice to have the company enroute,i can return the favour of course knowledge...i could run the route blindfolded,i know every bump and lump....

Not sure yet if I'll be able to make it or not...it'll be a last minute decision I think depending on family/work. Would love to run it and will happily go with your course knowledge.

Tempo

Straight out the door today,had less time than usual and was nearly not going to bother but i thought i would do as little miles as possible just to go.
    Plan was 1m warm up,4 tempo and 1.25 warm down back to house.
    I did the first mile in 6:21,so at that stage i thought i would do 5m tempo today...it was very windy for the second half of the second mile and the full 4th mile,testing conditions but i was going well all the same.
    Finished strong with a 5:46 last mile to do the 5 in 30:17...considering the first mile which was suposed to be a warm up and the winds along the way it was a sub 30 ( effortwise ) today...very happy that i decided to run it.

1.5m warm down around 8:00p

6.5m total @ 6:30p
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/57977090

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Tempo

Straight out the door today,had less time than usual and was nearly not going to bother but i thought i would do as little miles as possible just to go.
    Plan was 1m warm up,4 tempo and 1.25 warm down back to house.
    I did the first mile in 6:21,so at that stage i thought i would do 5m tempo today...it was very windy for the second half of the second mile and the full 4th mile,testing conditions but i was going well all the same.
    Finished strong with a 5:46 last mile to do the 5 in 30:17...considering the first mile which was suposed to be a warm up and the winds along the way it was a sub 30 ( effortwise ) today...very happy that i decided to run it.

1.5m warm down around 8:00p

6.5m total @ 6:30p
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/57977090

Judging by the map - you ran past where I used to live.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Judging by the map - you ran past where I used to live.

Where was that beepbeep ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You also ran past where I used to live. Several times.
    Manor Street, Lombard Street, and out the Cork Road. Bloody students!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Where was that beepbeep ?

20 Cork Rd - I think McDonalds is nearly opposite now

• Advertisement

You also ran past where I used to live. Several times.
    Manor Street, Lombard Street, and out the Cork Road. Bloody students!
    BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    20 Cork Rd - I think McDonalds is nearly opposite now

The half in december starts outside mcdonalds/woodies....
    That is my usual 6m route that i have done since i started running...handy to add a bit on in the park then if you want before i head out the dunmore road to finish off.

Snow Runs

The roads were fairly bad yesterday so i decided to run to work as i had serious doubts about getting the car home at 7am this morning.
    I left early as i thought i would have to walk most of it,didnt happen though as conditions were not that bad.
    Ran a bit extra when i got there as i was very early.
    4.6m @ 8:20p

Managed to finish early @ 5am so got togged out and ran home,to my surprise the roads were perfect,i ran out the middle of every road,only one taxi passed me all the way home and he gave me a wave with a big smile,it felt like a scene from 28 weeks....very surreal but very enjoyable experience none the less,legs were grand and i would do it again...
    3.4m @ 7:52p

Who says runners are mad ?
    they are right,the lads inthe job already think i am cracked and im only there a month

Got 34m done this week but no long run again,thats 2 weeks now...i have to try get one in before thursday...i will be happy enough with that.

Aerobic

Planned 13 today but yet again time restraints held me back,but tbh the conditions were poor with the snow.
    the paths were deadly,so i ran on the road when i could,thankfully roads were fine,just had to run on paths sometimes.

8m @ 7:29p

If i had to stay on the paths,it would have been over 8:00p...so i was happy to get a nice few stretches out on the road.

Maybe 13 tomorrow,but doubtful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

hope things improve on the weather from for ya, so as it wont your quality sessions.....had to run on a tredmill today myself :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Would you not do it on a threadmill if you got a chance ?? You dont want it to be a cop out if you dont break 80 min..........At 10 miles when legs are getting tired you want to know you ran 90 min the week before and not I lost some endurance by not doing it.

Would you not do it on a threadmill if you got a chance ?? You dont want it to be a cop out if you dont break 80 min..........At 10 miles when legs are getting tired you want to know you ran 90 min the week before and not I lost some endurance by not doing it.

I know,i will see how things pan out,i had done 3 halfs in a row all under 90 mins,but none done the last 2 weeks.....it has to be tomorrow or Wednesday....back to work Thursday....Sat is a possibility if i dont get it done by then...but i would rather not,i had a short tempo planned for that day while the older fella is at hurling...
    If i dont get it done,so be it...i will have to go with what i have done.

• Advertisement

Aerobic

Didnt get the 13 done again today,so Saturday morning is my last chance for that,i will have to fogo my tempo that morning if i am running at all with the weather.

Today i did a mile easy to get me out of the estate ( 7:39 ) and off the icy paths,then out on the roads for 5 steady miles ( 6:45p ) and then 1.7m recovery miles ( 8:10p )

7.7m @ 7:02p

Happy to get out and lets hope it clears up before the w/e and especially for next w/e.

Recovery

A slow trot over to work and back today,left the house at 6 this morning and i was a bit nervouse but i ran on the tire marks on the road and i was fine.
    Plenty of grit on the main cork road so it was safe as houses...got a bit dodgy going up through Lismore park but slowed down even more to make sure i got there in one piece.
    I saw a fella walking up the folly with ski sticks as aids...not very often you would see that

3.5m @ 7:57p

The way home was slower as i couldnt run all the time on the road as there were more cars around so i spent a good bit of time on the paths which were real bumpy and uneven,i hate that.....

3.5m @ 8:16p

I hope to do 13 on Saturday morning at a decent clip...we will see what the weather gods have instore for us !

Bad week...didnt get out today as planned,the roads are now perfect but the paths are real uneven and slippy,but the problem is now that the traffic has started to build back up again so i cannot just leg it up the cork road like i was last week...so i gave it a miss.Cant help but have doubts for sub 80.
    Only 3*13m runs in prep for this and none the last 3 weeks,so that will be 4 by next week...and i have to try crank out 13*6:06...tall order even if well prepared...
    I reckon with the tempos and intervals i have been doing i would have a good stab at my 5m/10k PB now but the half is a tough one.
    Might be no harm if its postponed ( selfish...i know ) give me another few weeks to get a few med longs done.

Bad week...didnt get out today as planned,the roads are now perfect but the paths are real uneven and slippy,but the problem is now that the traffic has started to build back up again so i cannot just leg it up the cork road like i was last week...so i gave it a miss.Cant help but have doubts for sub 80.
    Only 3*13m runs in prep for this and none the last 3 weeks,so that will be 4 by next week...and i have to try crank out 13*6:06...tall order even if well prepared...
    I reckon with the tempos and intervals i have been doing i would have a good stab at my 5m/10k PB now but the half is a tough one.
    Might be no harm if its postponed ( selfish...i know ) give me another few weeks to get a few med longs done.

if its postponed, ill run it! :) anyway wouldnt worry too much about the distance, once your running in the "comfortably hard" zone which is below 6:06 for you, you will be grand id say...

Im running tomorrow,even if its only a mile or 2 at 10:00 pace...im cracking up...

• Advertisement

Im running tomorrow,even if its only a mile or 2 at 10:00 pace...im cracking up...

Eh........ no i'm not........conditions worse today....the race must be in doubt,unless a serious thaw comes our way.....soon

10/7/4 Tempo

Oh yes.....back in action...badly needed.
    Have not had a decent session in 2 full weeks,no run at all in 1 week and that was only a short,slower than recovery paced trot into work and before than was last Monday...needed to get out today.
    I usually do this session about 5 days before a race but even though the race is 3 days away i needed a blowout badly.
    I had to drive to the local shop and run from there as the estate is deadly dangerous...

Mile 1 - Warm up @ 6:29p ...( i know,a bit fast for a warm up,but i was just so happy to be out there i got carried away :D )

10 mins @ 5:52p
    2 min jog
    7 mins @ 5:51p
    2 min jog
    4 mins @ 6:06p
    2 min jog

0.5m Warm down @ 7:44p

4.3m covered in that session,with the mile warm up and 0.5m warm down,that was 5.8m in total...loved every minute of it.
    Felt great to be running,i am just a happier more content person when i can get out there and get a sweat going.

I ran about a mile of the course for Sat,still very icy on the hard shoulder out the tramore road so i had to run on the main road which was was 90% perfect,still have to watch out for the shiny icy patches,but the sun was blazing so it was melting,just hope it doesn't freeze over the melted ice again tonight,we would be back to square one.

Aerobic & Recovery

Aerobic

Ran the long way to work today,not as cold and the paths are thawing nicely from the inside out so there was a little path of clear pavement forming on the paths so most were accessible,but i ran mostly on the road when i could.

6.3m @ 7:08p

Recovery

Ran the usual way home with a little extra loop to make 10m for the day.
    A bit more icy this way so had to be more careful,but was fine.
    Had to walk at times and really slow other times,but it served its purpose.
    Passing the RSC i had a look in and its like an ice rink in there...

3.8m @ 8:03p

Total 10.1m

Aerobic

Another trek into and home from work...conditions much better this morning and even better on the way home,dare i say by tomorrow morning we could have raced !

3.5m into work @ 7:20p
    3.5m home @ 7:19p

Another handy 7m for the week.
    Rest tomorrow and hopfully a med long Sunday.

Tempo

Had a master plan thought out from earlier in the week to get a med long in today but it was thwarted 5 mins before i left the door.....typical.
    Turned out i only had an hour so had to make the most out of it again and i did.

2m warm up @ 7:32,7:03
    5m @ 5:46,5:52,5:56,5:56,6:06 - 5:55p ave
    29:36 total
    0.5m warm down @ ??? Slow
    7.5m total @ 6:19p

Really enjoyed that this morning,took the foot off the pedal for the last one as i had sub 30 in the bag after 4...so enjoyed the last mile.
    Still would have preferred a half in 89:** but beggars can't be choosers....
    but i do need to get in at least 2 med longs before Jan 8th.

Tempo

Had a master plan thought out from earlier in the week to get a med long in today but it was thwarted 5 mins before i left the door.....typical.
    Turned out i only had an hour so had to make the most out of it again and i did.

2m warm up @ 7:32,7:03
    5m @ 5:46,5:52,5:56,5:56,6:06 - 5:55p ave
    29:36 total
    0.5m warm down @ ??? Slow
    7.5m total @ 6:19p

Really enjoyed that this morning,took the foot off the pedal for the last one as i had sub 30 in the bag after 4...so enjoyed the last mile.
    Still would have preferred a half in 89:** but beggars can't be choosers....
    but i do need to get in at least 2 med longs before Jan 8th.

what benefit would a half be in 89 ? why not one in 84 with 2 x 4 miles at phmp ?

what benefit would a half be in 89 ? why not one in 84 with 2 x 4 miles at phmp ?

Yeah your prob right vR,i feel in great shape for the shorter stuff at the minute....but i have a half and a 10m coming up in the next 6 weeks so i need to adddress that.

Yeah your prob right vR,i feel in great shape for the shorter stuff at the minute....but i have a half and a 10m coming up in the next 6 weeks so i need to adddress that.
    your beginning to sound like my mrs but she says it in a sarcastic way......

your beginning to sound like my mrs but she says it in a sarcastic way......

Does your mrs talk to you about being in good shape for short distance races ?
    That kind of talk would be double dutch to mine.

Intervals

Tough one today,only off nights and not really feeling it but decided to go down to the track,i have not been there in ages,it was a great session.
    Met up with 2 other fellas and we are all roughly the same level.

3.2m Warm up @ 7:18,7:08,6:55,6:45p
    6*800 @ 5:09,5:01,4:57,5:05,5:00,5:01 Pace
    1.8m warm down @ 7:40 & 8:10p

8m total.

Really happy with the splits,just hung on the shoulder of one of the lads and let him do all the running,i just hung on...i could barely manage 6*5:30p on my own...big dofference doing intervals in company,i can manage the tempos going solo but intervals are tough on your lonesome

• Advertisement

Intervals

Tough one today,only off nights and not really feeling it but decided to go down to the track,i have not been there in ages,it was a great session.
    Met up with 2 other fellas and we are all roughly the same level.

3.2m Warm up @ 7:18,7:08,6:55,6:45p
    6*800 @ 5:09,5:01,4:57,5:05,5:00,5:01 Pace
    1.8m warm down @ 7:40 & 8:10p

8m total.

Really happy with the splits,just hung on the shoulder of one of the lads and let him do all the running,i just hung on...i could barely manage 6*5:30p on my own...big dofference doing intervals in company,i can manage the tempos going solo but intervals are tough on your lonesome

very strong pace sosa! what was the recovery?
    im the opposite at the moment, cant run tempos but intervals seam ok....well....in the head anyway

seanynova wrote: »
    very strong pace sosa! what was the recovery?
    im the opposite at the moment, cant run tempos but intervals seam ok....well....in the head anyway

2min hands on knees...slow walk....

Aerobic

Had planned a recovery tonight after last nights efforts but after a bit of soreness last night and stiffness early today i came around very fast when i got the gear on and did 7.5m @ 7:22p and it felt like a recovery...happy days.
    Still need a med long soon...i might get it done Friday.

Aerobic

My first run over 8m in 4 weeks and i enjoyed it.
    With the bad weather to hit here over the w/e i needed at least 10m under my belt if we are going to be hindered again.
    Sungod has kindly offered to get me into the gym if its ice's over again,and i will take him up on the offer if i get stuck.

10m in 1:08:19 ( 6:50p )

Ran into work this morning,weather not as bad as i thought it would be...no ice and it was "only" 0 or 1c ....i believe we will be the last to get the snow this time.
    It could be a different story on the way home...it could be a blizzard by then !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Thats some top running Sosa and a nice pace. Even your previous intervals are very tasty! any 5km to 5m race coming up would deffo be worth going for. Id say there could be a pb in ya...

smmoore79 wrote: »
    Thats some top running Sosa and a nice pace. Even your previous intervals are very tasty! any 5km to 5m race coming up would deffo be worth going for. Id say there could be a pb in ya...

I have been thinking the same recently,I have a 5m and 10k in Feb...in successive weeks,both courses are where my PB's are for the distance...i am looking forward to them but unfortunately that won't help me in the half marathon i have in 3 weeks and the 10m two weeks later...i need a few med log runs badly.

i need a few med log runs badly.

hey Sosa,

what do you think is a resonable distance to be running LSR's when training for a 10m race? im thinking consistant 13mile runs and maybe one 15m...?????

hard to know though, at the moment my most is 8m but i dont have the time until january to crank it up!

seanynova wrote: »
    hey Sosa,

what do you think is a resonable distance to be running LSR's when training for a 10m race? im thinking consistant 13mile runs and maybe one 15m...?????

hard to know though, at the moment my most is 8m but i dont have the time until january to crank it up!

If i had the time Seany i would be doing 16/17's for the half and 12/13 for the 10m but i am finding it very hard to get out for those runs.
    I managed 35m this week,the 2nd most miles in a week in about 3 months.
    When your coming from 50/60 average...its a big drop
    Yesterday was the first run i did in a month that was over 8m...not good,but i hope to get in 2*13 in the next 2 weeks w/tempo in there...so i will be hoping that i dont blow up after 8/9m on Jan 15th !

Recovery & Aerobic

Into and home from work yesterday....well wrapped up.

3.5m @ 7:51p

Fairly cold starting out yesterday morning,but just a stroll all the way

6.5m @ 7:19p

home the long way to make up a bit of mileage for the week,i did 35.5m....biggest total in a long while.
    I had the bag on my back and didnt realise the difference it makes,but when i got home i had to walk my sons friend up to his house around the corner and jogged back down...the difference was huge...must have been close to 10kg in there with the towel and stuff from the morning run and clothes i brought home from work

• Advertisement

Tempo

First run since Saturday,time is tight for me anyway but throw Christmas into the mix and and it becomes a real problem to try get out.
    Anyway got 10 done just now,so have to be happy with that,no plan setting out as i was very tired,but got going after a while.

4m @ 7:08p
    4m @ 6:03p
    2m @ 7:39p

6:49p Overall

Coming out of Basketball retirement for one night only tomorrow night...the youngsters have challenged the old guard to a pick up...i have not touched a ball in nearly 3 years so it should be fun....few pints after to quench my thirst...i might run out and home aswell...just to get a few miles in,see how i am tomorrow.

Advertisement