Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One step at a time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Sosa wrote: »
    Tempo

First run since Saturday,time is tight for me anyway but throw Christmas into the mix and and it becomes a real problem to try get out.
    Anyway got 10 done just now,so have to be happy with that,no plan setting out as i was very tired,but got going after a while.

4m @ 7:08p
    4m @ 6:03p
    2m @ 7:39p

6:49p Overall

Coming out of Basketball retirement for one night only tomorrow night...the youngsters have challenged the old guard to a pick up...i have not touched a ball in nearly 3 years so it should be fun....few pints after to quench my thirst...i might run out and home aswell...just to get a few miles in,see how i am tomorrow.

Very nice session, enjoy the game tomorrow, sounds like fun ! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Aerobic

I felt a slight niggle on my left glute during the 2m warm down last night,tonights "coming out of retirement basketball match" was in jeopardy...so i had to try run a bit today to see if it would be ok...very unusual as walking this morning i could feel it but as soon as i started to run it went away and has not come back...thankfully...so i have dusted off the Air Jordan XIV's that were my pride and joy and am ready to take flight tonight.....:rolleyes:

3.1m @ 7:19p

Had planned to run today but after last nights basketball i can barely walk...
    the legs are ripped out of me,i would not manage 10 metres now,never mind 10+ miles...no injuries,just muscles that i have not been using running got the fright of there lifes,i thought i was 25 again,i knew that was going to happen...no big deal,i wont run now until Monday.

My new runners arrived today,Adidas Supernova Sequence...i have my eye on them a while...if they are comfy i will get the other colour in town next week as i need 2 pairs.

Enjoy the Christmas festivities everyone...i will be :D

Had planned to do the Baldy Man beach run tomorrow but the legs are still sore from the baketball on the 23rd,i recovered from Cork quicker !
    I was in serious enough discomfort on Christmas Eve and yesterday to a lesser extent,coming around today but still nowhere near doing a tempo or anything fast.
    So i wont be doing that,i will see how the legs are tomorrow and will certainly run...hopefully a handy 15m...if i am not capable of that,i will do what the legs allow.
    Note to one self ....throw the Air Jordans in the bin...its not worth it...

Aerobic 7.2m

First run since Thursdays Basketball massacre and i felt the last 4m.
    Clipped away nicely for the first 3 @ around 7:10p...then i started to feel the groin pulling,by mile 5 it was sore and the last 2 were getting worse so cut it short.
    7.2m @ 7:32p

The basketball was a bad idea but whats done is done,i will have to take a rest day tomorrow again and try it out on Wednesday for something easy with the aim of doing a tempo and med long from Thurs-Sun.
    Less miles that my usual small weekly total the last 2 weeks.,13m last week and at best 30m this week...that will give me 2 weeks to the half,if i could get in a good 40m week with another tempo and med long that week and then have a mini taper the week of the race...we will still have a cut of sub 80,but its dwindling away from me at this stage.

Dungarvan might be a more realistic target race at this stage,but we wont give up the chase yet.

• Advertisement

Intervals

The aches dissapeared overnight thankfully,had a bout of flu the last 2 days also but uniflu and loads of sleep shook that off...i was tempted to run today but decided not to until i got a text saying that a group were heading to the track at 2pm for intervals...this was 1:30...i got the gear on and headed down.

3m warm up @ 6:51,7:09,7:12p
    6*800 " 5:03,5:04,5:09,5:10,5:03,4:52
    2m warm down @ 7:51 & 7:55p

8m Total

Delighted to get that done today,didnt think the legs would hold that pace.
    Im meeting up with a few lads on friday for 10,i have a feeling it will be fast enough...

2 runs to report

Yesterday : 10m Tempo

Felt tired starting off but said i would try my usual of 4m/4m and 2m
    Did the first 4 @ around 6:50p then set off for the 4 fast miles,was feeling it after 0.5m so kept going to see if i would get going,didnt happen struggled to finish 3m @ 5:57,6:03 and 6:00...3 easy home after that.

10m @ 6:47p Overall

Today : 12.5m Med Long

No plans to run today because i have a mass to go to in the morning so was only out of bed and it was either then or never so off i went...struggled though the first 4m then got going and then got itred for the last 2...happy to do that though,the half is 2 weeks today,so another med long next w/e and that will have to do me.

12.5m @ 6:48p

Its been a laong time since i did anything similar to that back to back...it was tiring at the end today...just shows if you dont keep up the mileage these type of sessions are very tough.

Not looking forward to the half at all,will have to make a decision leading up to it what time to go for,as if i go for sub 80 and blow up that could hinder the 2 weeks after that i have for the Dungarvan 10...mentally and physically.
    We will see what happens.

Recap of 2010

Another progressive year running wise where i set PB's at 1m,5k,4m,5m,10k,10m and Marathon.
    Along the way i ran 2196.2m....
    My best result was the sub 3 in Cork but the best race i felt i ran was the 4m in March...i did it @ 5:35p,22:18...the fastest pace i have ever raced ( bar the mile race obviously )
    The mile race was another big milestone to pass...to go sub 5 on my one and only try was a great feeling.

Onwards and upwards for 2011 for another full set of PB's.
    No plans to run a marathon next year but my targets are :

1m - Sub 4:50 :eek:
    5k - Sub 17
    4m - Sub 18
    5m - Sub 28
    10k - Sub 35:30
    7.5m - Sub 43:45 ( 5:50p )
    10m - Sub 60
    Half - Sub 80

One Step at a Time .............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Recap of 2010

Another progressive year running wise where i set PB's at 1m,5k,4m,5m,10k,10m and Marathon.
    Along the way i ran 2196.2m....
    My best result was the sub 3 in Cork but the best race i felt i ran was the 4m in March...i did it @ 5:35p,22:18...the fastest pace i have ever raced ( bar the mile race obviously )
    The mile race was another big milestone to pass...to go sub 5 on my one and only try was a great feeling.

Onwards and upwards for 2011 for another full set of PB's.
    No plans to run a marathon next year but my targets are :

1m - Sub 4:50 :eek:
    5k - Sub 17
    4m - Sub 18
    5m - Sub 28
    10k - Sub 35:30
    7.5m - Sub 43:45 ( 5:50p )
    10m - Sub 60
    Half - Sub 80

One Step at a Time .............

Great 4 mile target and me thinking i could get close to you in ballycotton.;)

Great 4 mile target and me thinking i could get close to you in ballycotton.;)

Done in error VR ...sub 22 i meant.
    I ran 22:18 last year,thats where i must have got the 18 from.

Typical KK comment :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Recovery & Aerobic Yesterday

Recovery 3.5m to work @ 7:39p
    A nice handy stroll to wake up...did the trick

Aerobic 5m Home @ 7:13p
    Home a different way for a change...felt tired,legs were heavy,still have not shaken this flu that has bothered me since Christmas...
    With the bag on my back i was happy with the pace considering.

Tempo planned for the morning,not feeling it tbh...will decide tomorrow.

Aerobic

Missed my run yesterday but managed to get out for a spritely 6 before work tonight.
    Hope to do 10 tomorrow and 13 Sat or Sun morning.
    Depending how i feel tomorrrow i may do a tempo in that 10 or i may wait until the w/e and do it during the 13..we will see what happens.

6m @ 6:39p

Med Long

Got a med long in at last but it was a slog,had planned some fast miles in there but the i knew from the off the legs were not going to respond this morning,felt very tired so decided to just clip along handy instead.
    The "plan" is to do something fast tomnorrow...we will see if that happens.

12.5m @ 7:07p

Tempo

After last weeks paltry 26m week,i knocked my usual 10/7/4 tempo on the head and did 4m straight instead.
    I set out to do 6 at 6:06p but after 2 fast "stupid" miles did 4 faster ones.

Mile 1 - 6:59
    Miles 2,3,4,5 - 5:58,5:58,6:00,5:58
    Miles 6,7,0.5 - 7:40,7:46,7:28

7.5m @ 6:41p

So its decision time for Saturday.
    I feel i need a rub on the calves badly,legs feel very sluggish the last 2 weeks,that 4 was tough this morning,felt easier to do those sessions in recent weeks.
    So if one felt they needed a rub would they think its ok to get one done 72 hrs before a race or would they feel they need longer to get the benefit from it.
    Personally i usually would go a week before,but thats not an option at this stage...if i do go Wed morning should i get the works or tell him to take it easy with the race in mind ?
    Opinions appreciated.

Tempo
    I feel i need a rub on the calves badly,legs feel very sluggish the last 2 weeks,that 4 was tough this morning,felt easier to do those sessions in recent weeks.
    So if one felt they needed a rub would they think its ok to get one done 72 hrs before a race or would they feel they need longer to get the benefit from it.
    Personally i usually would go a week before,but thats not an option at this stage...if i do go Wed morning should i get the works or tell him to take it easy with the race in mind ?
    Opinions appreciated.

Only just saw this now Sosa, did you get the massage this morning ?? Def a good idea to get a light one if the calves are at you. You should have loads of time to be right for Sat if you get one today.

tisnotover wrote: »
    Only just saw this now Sosa, did you get the massage this morning ?? Def a good idea to get a light one if the calves are at you. You should have loads of time to be right for Sat if you get one today.

No,booked in for 3 tomorrow....i reckon i will be ok,i wont get the works done,just enough to get me through these 2 races.

Yesterday Recovery and Aerobic

AM 3.5 @ 7:51p
    Sluggish run into work,felt tired but it served its purpose after Mondays tempo.

PM 4.5 @ 7:17p
    Much better coming home,even with the heavy bag,this felt easy all the way.

Physio today,hope this fella can ignite some spark into the legs for the w/e....

Recovery

Went to the physio yesterday,he did a fair bit of butchering on the legs,but reckons they will be grand again by Saturday.
    Strange thing,everytime i go for a rub i feel the calves need a bit of work and all the physios tell me that the calves are in ok condition and that its the hamstrings that feel tight,whereas i feel no problem at all with the hammys....

Anyway...

5m @ 7:36p

Pretty eventful last couple of days.
    I woke up yesterday morning with a pain in my coccyx (tailbone),i didnt fall or hit it of anything and it was perfect going to bed on Wed night...so i did my slow 5m about an hour after getting up as it wasn't that bad....as the afternoon went on i started to feel it again.
    I went to work last night and it got progressively worse as the night went on,so much so that everytime i went from sitting to standing i got severe shots of pain,i looked it up on the interweb and got the fright of my life when it said those symptoms were that of a fractured or dislocated coccyx...:eek:
    I hoped that it would all dissapear when i got up today but it didnt,so off to A&E for the afternoon,the doctor was more interested in my marathon times and what i had hoped to run tomorrow in when i told him i was a runner...eventually i got it out of him that he didnt think it was fractured or dislocated as he did a few excercises that would have been excrutiating if it had of been.
    So he prescribed me 75mg of diclac and said if i had no pain tomorrow it was up myself to run,so far the pain is now minimal,will see how i am in the morning before making a decision.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭aero2k

Great that you found a doctor that didn't just give the stock response "you've hurt yourself, you can't run".

Best of luck, I hope you wake up raring to go - I need to read another epic race report!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

nasty sosa! hope you feel better and able to run tomorrow...best of luck with the recovery and race mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Didn't realise race was today. Best of luck, hope the tail bone problems don't hinder.

How did it go today Sosa? Conditions looked like the day of the Cork Marathon up here today!

Just over 84 mins.
    Didnt race it at all,ran within myself all the way,more so on the tough miles.
    Weather was worse than cork imo and with the tailboone thing i decided not to risk it,i was happy just running tbh.
    Full report later

Just over 84 mins.
    Didnt race it at all,ran within myself all the way,more so on the tough miles.
    Weather was worse than cork imo and with the tailboone thing i decided not to risk it,i was happy just running tbh.
    Full report later

hard luck sosa, better to edge on the side of caution with the 10miler coming up soon in what will hopefully be more favourable weather!

Waterford Half - 1:24:11

With the scare of the tailbone/weather and nothing really done on an endurance level i decided not to race today.
    Sub 80 i wanted and nothing else mattered,so with that in mind i was out to enjoy the day.
    Woke up with the rain lashing against the window and the wind blowing a gale...not the best of starts,but with zero pain from the tailbone courtesy or some diclac anti inflammatories i was happy to be moving freely.

Off we went bang on time and i got blown through a very fast easy mile one just over 6mm,had to slow myself down as the wind did most of the work...then the fun started,our friend the wind hit us in the face just as we passed the old infirmary and it was to stay with us right up to 7m...at some parts it was really tough going,so slowed down more so on these miles....reached the turn for home in 18th position,was running with another club mate for the duration,he was within himself also so we chatted alot...at this stage we had the wind on our back,but to break 80 i probably needed 6*5:50/55's to manage that,i had no interest in chasing the clock and not getting there,possibly injuring myself and having a major setback with the dungarvan race on in 2 weeks time.
    Clipped home nicely around 6:15's from 7 onwards and it felt easy.
    Thats the tempos at sub 6 kicking in there...was happy with that.

So all in all,very happy to come through unscathed and have an appetite now to train hard this week and ease up then the week of the dungarvan race...sub 60 here i come...no taking it easy up there.
    anther thing,met a pal of mine from when i worked in dungarvan,he is a 68 min half man,offered to pace me for 80 mins as he wasnt racing it....another day and i would have taken him up on it...he ended up running 76 at ease...so he may well have killed me along the way.

Didnt take any more anti inflamms after the race,i want to see tomorrow what shape i am in,no sense in masking pain thats there,hope they did the trick for today,but i wont be taking them anymore now unless the pain comes back,if it does im stopping running until its sorted.

Met a few boardsies...menoscemo...village runner who is quickly becoming a serial pacer :D and Macanri...nice meeting you all.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/63556428

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Good to meet you too Sosa. That's some time and you taking it easy :O

Thanks for the race report, sounds like you ran a controlled race and within yourself, thats saying a lot cos 1:24 isn't a slow time either and in the conditions that were there on Sat!

All looking good for the 10mile, hope that injury fecks off!

tisnotover wrote: »
    Thanks for the race report, sounds like you ran a controlled race and within yourself, thats saying a lot cos 1:24 isn't a slow time either and in the conditions that were there on Sat!

All looking good for the 10mile, hope that injury fecks off!

Thnaks tno,it was controlled,a few tough parts in the strong winds but always in control.
    The injury is a strange one,its not muscular,it seems to be behind the tailbone,sitting down on a wooden chair is very uncomfortable when not taking the anti inflamms.
    I had not taken any tablets since the morning of the race but will take one now,it started coming back last night,but oddly enough i dont think running will make it worse...that maybe me talking with blinkers on...will have to see.

• Advertisement

Aerobic

Handy 6,legs feel great...the tailbone thing is coming back though,will have to be careful about this.
    Its not as bad as last week thankfully,but it may get there....

6.2m @ 7:17p

The injury is a strange one,its not muscular,it seems to be behind the tailbone,sitting down on a wooden chair is very uncomfortable when not taking the anti inflamms.

I had not taken any tablets since the morning of the race but will take one now,it started coming back last night,but oddly enough i dont think running will make it worse...that maybe me talking with blinkers on...will have to see.

Well done on the race. It'll stand to you come Dungarvan.

As for the tailbone....bust mine a good few years back (didn't fracture it, just very bruised) and then did over 20 skydives on it less than a week afterwards. Was fine as long as I nailed the landings. 10 minutes roaring on the ground sorted out the occasions when I didn't. Anyways, there was no longterm damage done but I do get a pain returning in it every now and then...like maybe once a year, can never pin down exactly why or when it returns but doesn't seem to hinder me at all. So if the doctor said it was fine to run on then I'm sure it is. I wonder could you have hurt it years ago? Fell on your ass in a basketball game?

As far as i know i have never fallen or impacted it anytime ever,and its the only time it has ever hurt,its quite uncomfortable now,during the 6 this morning it was fine on the flat but hurt a bit on any sort of an incline.
    Im a bit worried but not as worried as last Thurs/Fri when going from sitting to standing was killing me,i wouldnt fancy a run now,i'll put it that way,i hope it clears up.
    I did change runners lately,going from saucony to addidas...could that affect your tailbone ?

False alarm on the coccyx prognosis...i now think its a glute strain/tear i have as i can feel a tender spot on my left buttock,last week the pain was coming through the tailbone with no apparent sore spot.
    I was talking to my physio last night and he said that a torn or strained glute muscle sends shocks to the tailbone in early stages of the injury,so now he has to try fit me in his busy schedule asap.
    I have not given up on Dungarvan yet,we will see what happens over the next couple of days...
    At least its not fractured like i was thinking last week....
    I have a good feeling that i will be racing next Sunday and if i cant get much done in the mean time i will break 60 in Mallow instead...good to have Plan B in March to fall back on.

False alarm on the coccyx prognosis...i now think its a glute strain/tear i have as i can feel a tender spot on my left buttock,last week the pain was coming through the tailbone with no apparent sore spot.
    I was talking to my physio last night and he said that a torn or strained glute muscle sends shocks to the tailbone in early stages of the injury,so now he has to try fit me in his busy schedule asap.
    I have not given up on Dungarvan yet,we will see what happens over the next couple of days...
    At least its not fractured like i was thinking last week....
    I have a good feeling that i will be racing next Sunday and if i cant get much done in the mean time i will break 60 in Mallow instead...good to have Plan B in March to fall back on.

hey sosa, that kind of sounds like what i had recently/have, everytime i tilt my pelvis, ie bend over etc its sore around my tailbone/glute/lower back all on the right side....the physio worked my hammy, glute and lower back and is "OK" now but not perfect. it looks like you have caught your injury in time and even though im not out of the woods yet, im able to run so you should be ok for next sunday....best of luck with it anyway.

im also using a tennis ball to massage my lower back/glute, you should ask your physio if its ok for you to do that.

seanynova wrote: »
    hey sosa, that kind of sounds like what i had recently/have, everytime i tilt my pelvis, ie bend over etc its sore around my tailbone/glute/lower back all on the right side....the physio worked my hammy, glute and lower back and is "OK" now but not perfect. it looks like you have caught your injury in time and even though im not out of the woods yet, im able to run so you should be ok for next sunday....best of luck with it anyway.

im also using a tennis ball to massage my lower back/glute, you should ask your physio if its ok for you to do that.

Thanks Seany..i'll be asking him all sorts of questions when i ever get to see him.
    Im a glass half full type of person anyway so i'll be doing all i can to toe the line next Sunday.

• Advertisement

Aerobic

The injury felt much better throughout yesteday so i tested the waters after the school drop this morning,i did 2 laps of the park easy to see if i got any sight of a twinge...felt good so i ventured out a bit and finished with 2 more laps of the park for a pleasant 6m...felt the slightest hint of a pull going up a steep hill,so that tells me i running fast is out of the question for another couple of days as i felt it when i stretched the legs a bit.
    But delighted to come through unscathed and will see how it goes next couple of days,i wont be rushing back to hard training to soon.

6m @ 7:24p

Aerobic

Another enjoyable trot in glorious running weather today...the back felt stronger again today thankfully and that allowed me to pick it up slightly from yesterday.
    I will take tomorrow or Monday as a rest day before hopefully doing some intervals on Tuesday at the track,i really hope to get this session in as i like to have a hard session 5 days before a race,looking well for next weeks race...
    Im not putting myself under any pressure though as i have Mallow to fall back on.

6.2m @ 7:07p

Aerobic

Nearly didnt get this done again today,one hundred and one things got in my way but i got it done in the end...at 8pm on a full belly of pasta and a few cuts of garlic bread !
    Had hoped to do 10 but didnt think i would last 1...a few hairy moments in the first few minutes but settled into a nice easy relaxing run listening to the off the ball lads.....
    Really happy to get 8.5 done.

8.5m @ 7:16p

The glute/tailbone issue is just about gone ( i think ) real test tomorrow as i do intervals at the track...i need to have confidence in running fast before i head up on Sunday.

Intervals

Passed the test with flying colours...im ready for Sunday !

Real good session on the track tonight.....felt great to get a blow out,i have not run fast in over 2 weeks...badly needed.

2m warm up @ 7:00,6:56 ( a bit fast but i was late leaving the house )

4*1k @ 5:04,5:14,5:01 & 5:17 pace
    I did a bit to much talking after 1 & 3 and paid for it breathing wise...you really need to recover totally...
    We alternated leading out the pack...i led out rep 3...jesus its tough leading at that pace and no-one in front of you.
    Last one i was hanging on.
    2:30 recovery inbetween reps.

2*400m @ 4:45p & 4:35p
    Loved these...could have done more but settled for that much

2m recovery home up the hills @ 7:56p & 8:21p

Total 8m @ varied paces...real good session

Intervals

2m warm up @ 7:00,6:56 ( a bit fast but i was late leaving the house )

4*1k @ 5:04,5:14,5:01 & 5:17 pace
    I did a bit to much talking after 1 & 3 and paid for it breathing wise...you really need to recover totally...
    We alternated leading out the pack...i led out rep 3...jesus its tough leading at that pace and no-one in front of you.
    Last one i was hanging on.
    2:30 recovery inbetween reps.

2*400m @ 4:45p & 4:35p
    Loved these...could have done more but settled for that much

2m recovery home up the hills @ 7:56p & 8:21p

Total 8m @ varied paces...real good session

Very nice session!! The 4th 1k rep will be easier next time out. Good confidence boost ahead of dungarvan!

• Advertisement

Recovery and Aerobic

Lovely fresh morning earlier...i was a bit over dressed,but you just dont know what its going to be like at 6am at this time of year....really enjoyed it.
    I then ran home the same way and picked up the pace a good bit,when i got home i had to drop my car out for a service...drove out there and ran the 2m home.
    Rest day tomorrow followed by 4/5 real easy on Saturday morning...and then we will have fun on Sunday !

4m @ 7:51p
    4m @ 7:01p
    2m @ 7:22p

10m total

Best of luck tomorrow, I'm sure you'll smash the 60.

Recovery with Strides

Lovely fresh morning,the calm before the storm....
    Dropped the big fella to hurling and set off on a real relaxed easy run.
    Near the end i did a lap of the park where i did 3*200m strides along the 1k route just to stretch the legs a touch.
    Really looking forward to tomorrow now...roll on.
    I will have plenty of company along the way,last years 60:36 got me 49th...so i wont be lonely !

4.2m @ some pace as i forgot the garmin :eek: mapped it out when i got home...i guessed it was 4,a touch off :D

best of luck tomorrow...

All the best tomorrow Sosa! :)

see you up there tno...gonna be a cracker

59:36 ..... great day !
    29:53 and 29:43 for each 5...really happy with negative split.

Full report later

Well done....nice to have that one ticked off

Great stuff, very nice PB! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Excellent running Sosa. Fab time; well done!

• Advertisement
Advertisement