Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iron Rich Recipes

Options
  • 02-11-2009 2:08pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

Need to start cooking Iron Rich food, the target audience doesn't eat liver, kidney or any fish, need help, there's only so much brocolli and black pudding I can cook :)

All suggestions appreciated (don't say Iron Filings though :))

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭smallgarden

any red meat,i know uve ruled out kidney and liver but any red meat e.g. steak,burgers would be good sources of iron.make sure to match iron rich food with vitamin c foods as it helps you absorb it better

• Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Spinich

kale

don't forget to include lots of vitamin C or else your body won't be able to absorb the iron

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Lamb Karahi

Serves 4

500g neck or shoulder of lamb, diced
    1 large onion, diced
    4 cloves garlic
    thumb-sized piece root ginger, peeled & quartered
    3 fat chillis, roughly chopped (I always leave the seeds in, but deseed if you want)
    1 tin tomatoes
    1 tbsp cumin seeds
    2 tbsp ground cumin
    1 dessertspoon turmeric
    1 dessertspoon paprika
    2 tsp salt
    300g spinach, large stalks removed
    Tin of chickpeas
    Bunch fresh coriander

1) Heat a glug of sunflower or groundnut oil in a large wok and cook the onions over a medium heat until completely soft and slightly coloured.

2) While they're cooking, combine the tomatoes, garlic, ginger and chillis in a blender and whizz until smooth. If the sauce is very thick, add a bit of water and smooth again.

3) When the onions are cooked, remove from the oil with a slotted spoon, add to the tomato mix and whizz again. Return the whole lot to the wok along with the lamb, salt, cumins, turmeric and paprika. Allow to simmer over a low heat for at least an hour, but the longer the better, tbh. If the sauce looks like it's reducing too much at any stage, add a spoonful of water but if your heat is low enough you shouldn't need to.

4) About half an hour before serving, wilt the spinach in a pot with literally a few drops of water, then tip into the rinsed out blender and puree. Add to the curry along with the drained chickpeas and heat through.

5) Just before serving stir in the chopped coriander. Serve with rice, griddled flatbreads (I also have a great recipe for these if you want it) and yoghurt on the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Spag bol!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Anything green pretty much.

This thread is mocking me :( I;m not allowed iron rich foods because I'm anti-coagulant therapy (warfarin) to keep my IRN levels up :(.

I miss avacados, and liver, and spinich, and sprouts... shoot me now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I'm planning on giving this (Colcannon cakes with poached eggs and hollandaise sauce) a try tomorrow. The potatoes, cabbage and egg will all provide relatively high amounts of iron, and the Vit C in the cabbage will help as well.

Advertisement