Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple AirPort Express share internet with Three USB dongle?

Options
  • 02-11-2009 2:16pm

Hi Lads N Lass'

Considering getting a new iMac & getting rod of this powerbook.

Long story short, have a question....

If I get an AirPort Express, then connect to the internet on the iMac
    (Using a Three USB dongle) not an Ethernet cable or anything similar
    Is it possible to share the internet access using the AirPort express to devices such as my iPhone?

Someone said it is possible, someone else said it wasnt, someone else said it was, but with an extra router or something.

Could you let me know what you think....and if it is with the extra router, what one would you recommend ?

Cheers
    Spy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

The in build WIFI on the iMac will go the trick nicely with no need for routers or any add ons; I have my iPhone hooked up to mine right now :)
    Hi Lads N Lass'

Considering getting a new iMac & getting rod of this powerbook.

Long story short, have a question....

If I get an AirPort Express, then connect to the internet on the iMac
    (Using a Three USB dongle) not an Ethernet cable or anything similar
    Is it possible to share the internet access using the AirPort express to devices such as my iPhone?

Someone said it is possible, someone else said it wasnt, someone else said it was, but with an extra router or something.

Could you let me know what you think....and if it is with the extra router, what one would you recommend ?

Cheers
    Spy

Hamndegger wrote: »
    The in build WIFI on the iMac will go the trick nicely with no need for routers or any add ons; I have my iPhone hooked up to mine right now :)

Cool....but does it allow you to go on the internet on your iPhone
    Eg, does the iMac share the internet over wifi ?

Never mind, found out how to do it without AirPort
    Link below incase anyone needs it in the future.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/8156.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Never mind, found out how to do it without AirPort
    Link below incase anyone needs it in the future.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/8156.html

You should bear in mind that this solution will require WIFI/Airport or Bluetooth unless you wish to connect via cables to; which is hardly as practical as you seem to want. Setting up a WIFI on the iMac will be by far the most simple solution to hand.

Hamndegger wrote: »
    You should bear in mind that this solution will require WIFI/Airport or Bluetooth unless you wish to connect via cables to; which is hardly as practical as you seem to want. Setting up a WIFI on the iMac will be by far the most simple solution to hand.

Yea, its all set up and stuff now, thankfully ! Took 2 seconds and is exactly what I wanted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement