Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Subaru and the direction of the Impreza...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Yes the most recent EVO's are even more desirable, although the running costs mean it isn't quite in the same affordable category. The shorter touring range count against them as well in more practical ownership terms.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Someone already said it that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and to me this is beautiful...
    typerimpreza.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

unkel wrote: »
    While those lads are polishing their paintwork on their 1.6 Impreza, I'm enjoying the sound of a great V8. And it ain't a VAG V8 and I ain't no VAG head ;)

Theyre certainly not 1.6's, the OP made a huge mistake mentioning his 1.6 Impreza as perfect...

Unkle im probarbly mixing you up with Onkle, apologies for calling you a VAG head ;) Ok ok youve a V8, there must be a beautiful sound off her, theres an awesome sound from that flat four of the Impreza too, what a rumble and a serious deep noise from the exhaust too. STI obviously, no more mention of the 1.5/1.6's!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Nic'name wrote: »
    This thread is totally off topic, the original post is to discuss the new styling of the Toyota/Subaru concept car. Shall wait to meet up with my buddies in the pub to discuss it instead.
    I have addressed this in my PM to you just prior to you posting this. Was my PM not clear?
    You are causing this thread to go off topic, now stop whinging that people follow you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I like the styling of the STI models, the 22B, P1 etc. but you can't call them design classics. It's kind of liking the styling because of the knowledge of what they are. If you ask a layman or woman about the styling of an Impreza, Evo, or any thing like that they won't like it, cause they're not design classics, they're not art. But petrol heads love the look because of the fact that the looks reflect what we know they're capable of.
    Put it another way. Lets say the Impreza never existed. Then lets say that some Chinese company randomly released some sh!tbox with a 1.3 weedy engine, but looked exactly like the Impreza turbo. (bear in mind, this is an alternate universe where the Impreza never existed!). Everyone on here would say "look at that thing, looks like it crashed into halfords" and other such negative comments would follow. Now switch back to the real universe and look at the same thing, and we like it, probably because of images of McRea sideways through a Welsh forrest with it covered in mud.
    And for the record, the 1.6 Impreza is slow! I destroyed one in a race with my "girly" Celica when I had it!! And I never considered the Celica quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I think Biro is spot on with what he says.

The Impreza and Evo are not beautiful sexy cars, there mean ugly powerful cars that have a great following because of there power and capability and the image brought on by there rally pedigree.

When you start mentioning 1.6 versions though all that goes out the window and and as Biro says a 1.6 Impreza is dog slow, my g/f's father had one for years and it was a shockingly slow car for a 1.6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

RB5.jpg

Come to think of it, the RB5 model looks exactly how an Impreza should. Purposeful, but without all the naff livery and gold wheels. The spoiler is an acquired taste but at least in a sombre colour, it looks so right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

I'd wait until you see Subaru's version, there's tons of different concept versions out there.

For example the concept version of the toyota model pictured in this thread is nothing like the one going into production. I for one like the direction toyota is going with there model.

ft86-2.jpg

Biro wrote: »
    And for the record, the 1.6 Impreza is slow! I destroyed one in a race with my "girly" Celica when I had it!! And I never considered the Celica quick.

That was a bit of an unfair race, the 1.6 Impreza is only 88bhp and your celica was a 1.8 190bhp model?

• Advertisement

GigaByte wrote: »
    That was a bit of an unfair race, the 1.6 Impreza is only 88bhp and your celica was a 1.8 190bhp model?

Nope, I had the "even girlier" 140bhp model. 190's were like hens teeth way back when I was buying 5 or 6 years ago. I had to settle. The point was that I was in a car that I didn't consider quick, and it was far quicker than a car that someone else thought was so quick that nothing could keep up with it, apart from the turbo version...

I'd wait until you see Subaru's version, there's tons of different concept versions out there.

For example the concept version of the toyota model pictured in this thread is nothing like the one going into production. I for one like the direction toyota is going with there model.

ft86-2.jpg

That looks sweet!

Biro wrote: »
    Nope, I had the "even girlier" 140bhp model. 190's were like hens teeth way back when I was buying 5 or 6 years ago. I had to settle. The point was that I was in a car that I didn't consider quick, and it was far quicker than a car that someone else thought was so quick that nothing could keep up with it, apart from the turbo version...

Ah ok, my mistake. :o

Good point though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ft86-2.jpg

Oh I like that. Aggressive little car! And nothing girlie about it at all. Is that going into production?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

That's the (Toyota) FT-86 isn't it?

JHMEG wrote: »
    That's the (Toyota) FT-86 isn't it?

Yip it is indeed!

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Oh I like that. Aggressive little car! And nothing girlie about it at all. Is that going into production?

Yes its going into production. Toyota wanted to build a sports car to sell along side the new Lexus LFA that would be much more afordable to the mass market. You should be able to buy either one in 2011. The choice is yours :D

lexuslfalive_06.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Aha-shake

Is now too late to point out the photo shown in the OP of the orange "concept" is a complete piss poor photoshop that does no justice to what Subaru will actually be making?

Based on its sister car the FT86, it looks very promising styling wise.
    Just reserve your judgement until it's unveiled instead of basing it on some gaudy photoshop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Subaru have never been much into styling, the company tends to let the mechanicals do the talking.
    Remember this :
    Subaru_Brat_Ad.jpg

These were 4wd back when it was unusual to find it on small cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

Nah - it wasn't the mechanicals that did the talking :D

http://img220.imageshack.us/i/earl123joy3hh4.jpg/

original link for all you doubters out there;

http://imcdb.org/vehicle_45175-Subaru-Brat-1987.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Yes its going into production. Toyota wanted to build a sports car to sell along side the new Lexus LFA that would be much more afordable to the mass market. You should be able to buy either one in 2011. The choice is yours :D

lexuslfalive_06.jpg

I think I will start saving now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Good news Frankie, It's a lot nearer to production than it was when this thread died :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

ha,this is one funny thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

lexuslfalive_06.jpg

wasn't this on TG recently? Prices quoted about £300k stg...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭gibbon75

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    wasn't this on TG recently? Prices quoted about £300k stg...?

Yes indeed it was (in the last episode of the recent season)

Advertisement