Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Page numbering in Word

• 02-11-2009 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Am writing a report and need to have both roman numerals (e.g i) and arabic numerals (e.g 1).

I know it is something to do with section breaks, but cannot understand it.

The preliminary pages of my report have to have roman numerals.

For example, I will have:

title page (I think it assumes i)
    Abstract page (ii)
    Title page (does this take iii?)
    Introduction page (1 and so on to the end of the report.

Any help please??

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Try this:

* Click the Insert tab on the Word 2007 Ribbon (if you have 2007)
    * Find the Header & Footer area - beside it is "Page Number"
    * Choose Page Number→ Chose location of where you want the numbers, etc, to go then → Format Page Numbers (below location lists)
    * Choose the style you want from the Number Format drop-down list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Thanks Biggins,
    But it seems more complicated than that as I have two different styles!

I don't understand?
    Are you saying that in a header or footer you want both sets of characters to appear beside each other?
    Q. What version of Word have you?

No, no sorry.

I need them as follows:

title page (I think it assumes i)
    Abstract page (ii)
    Title page (does this take iii?)
    Introduction page (1 and so on to the end of the report.)

Its not as simple as just entering the numbers. Think its to do with section breaks but cannot figure this out.

So you need all four lines above - in the actual header or footer, that right?
    If so (although its a pain) can you not just chose to insert them manually also?
    You have to chose "Edit Header" (or Footer) to do so (very bottom, under all the graphic examples of standard one line headers/footers).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

For Word 2007, http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081019224811AAohSaL
    1. At the top of the first page you want Arabic-numbered, click the Page Layout->Page Setup->Breaks icon.
    2. Insert a Next Page type section break.
    3. Click the Insert->Page Numbers->Format Page Numbers menu item.
    4. In the Page Numbers dialog box, click the Format button.
    5. If you don’t want the page numbers to be continuous between the two sections, set Page Numbering to start at number one. The radio button should switch to Start At.
    6. Click OK.
    7. Go back to the first page of the document (now in the first section).
    8. Repeat steps 3-4, but this time set the Number format to Roman Numerals.
    9. Repeat steps 5-6. (Note: The actual insertion of page numbers in the page header or footer doesn't have to happen. Only the formatting selection is necessary. To avoid the insertion, click the Cancel button instead of the OK in Step 6))

Ok, after figuring this out - thanks for the replies! Its all to do with the sections (I needed two from two different number types). I could not edit it manually though!

Incidentally, if you dont want the i appearing on the first page, you need to go to the help section and type in "Remove number from first page" and it will instruct you from there.

Phew!

Advertisement