Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oil fired boiler problem

• 02-11-2009 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

My boiler keeps cutting out after a few seconds. I've recently got a delivery of oil but its not air locked. I think the problem is the thermostat because when I take it out of the boiler the probes are extremely hot (even after a very short time) and the boiler cuts in again almost immediately in the cold air. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Check that the pump is running - if not, then the boiler will heat up very quickly and the thermostat will cut it out. Pumps often stick after a prolonged period without use, there should be a screw cover on the end that you can remove to see the end of the shaft. If it's not turning freely switch of the power and use a screwdriver to free it up. There should be a slot in the end of the shaft.

If there pump is OK is there water in the boiler????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

could be the photocell is dirty in the burner or there might be air in the line. if it is photocell you might have combustion probloms. have you a lot of smoke aswell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

As Pete says, the boiler seems fine - it's right up at its temperature. The thermostat seems to be working as it should. Is the water circulating ? Do you have any heat in the radiators ?
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 adam.e

Try hitting the reset button if that doesnt work clean the photocell

Advertisement