Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co-signed lease, moving out. What should I do?

Options
  • 02-11-2009 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I moved in with a friend of mine into a new house in July. A brief romance ensued, but an inevitable breakup occurred. Now I'm in a situation where I want to leave the house, but I also want to ensure that my name is off the lease if possible. Especially if I'm going to have to sign a new one elsewhere.

I want to talk to my landlord, who is a gentleman, but I'm not sure what course of action to take with him.

Has anyone ever been in this situation before?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Explain that you need to move. If you have signed a one year lease, you can be held to it - you have agreed to pay for the full property for the full year, paying monthly is a matter of convenience. However, you can nominate a (reasonable) replacement. If the replacement is rejected, you can walk away.

Advertisement