Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firebrigade door damage, insurance not paying out..

Options
  • 02-11-2009 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone

My apartment had a small fire in it on Thursday night when i was out. I arrived home to a busted hall door. The fire brigade had to break it down to get in to deal with it.

However over the weekend while sorting it all out, I informed the buildings insurance people of the events. They are playing very hard to not pay out for the repair costs of the door, Claiming they don't have to pay out for intentional damage, and the fire brigade intentionally damaged my door. I find this a bit crazy as the alternative was to let my apartment possibly burn down + me die if i was inside(nobody knew).

Costs = new temporary door installed(used my bedroom door) while the required fireproof door is ordered(week waiting time) + installed + lock fitted + fire brigade fee

Has anyone experienced this issue before? Does anyone know if building insurance policy in complexes usually cover fire brigade damage? Would It be normal to also acceptable to claim for the firebrigade fee from this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Since you're living in an apartment, I'm assuming that you personally don't have buildings cover - buildings cover ordinarily relates to the entire apartment block and is looked after by your apartment block's management company, and is paid for out of your management fee.

Buildings insurance covers everything which isn't something that you would normally remove when you move home - so walls, doors, bathroom fixtures and fittings, built-ion warddrobes, kitchen units, etc etc etc.

The management company should be looking after the replacement of the hall door on your behalf. Did you speak to them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

Hi Seamus,

Yes the buildings policy is the policy that covers all the complex. I personally have contents insurance for myself. The buildings policy is payed from the MC fees each quarter.

I just got some good news about 5 minutes ago. It required a call from the Ombudsman but the insurance say they will cover the damage now. They just want a quote first. I get that tomorrow. I'm delighted. Constantly asking for things in writing so i can forward them to my solicitor helped also.

The ombudsman found it hilarious they were trying this. It was very stressful. I really didn't have the money to cover it this month.

The Management company are a giant joke. They are consistently completely useless. They sent carpenters who refused the job saying it wasn't worth their time. I'm dealing with the Insurance myself. The MC suppose to represent me as a resident but they had the cheek to tell me before talking to the insurance that they wont cover it because it was caused by my negligence. Which is wasn't at all. I wasn't even in the apartment.

Hopefully this post can serve as a reference to people in the future with the same issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Name and shame the Management agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Eh, all of them!

Advertisement