Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Rangefinding scope

Options
  • 02-11-2009 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭

So I'm looking for a rangefinding scope as recommended, but they all seem to be made for longer range than I need.
    What should I be looking for to mount on a .22?
    I want to hit the rabbit, not the flea on his back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I could be wrong but isn't any sort of laser/NV type scope falling into the restricted category? Many people use handheld rangefinders, you can start cheap and work up to very expensive Leica models, then again you can also find them for handy money in the US.
    I don't think you need anything more than 4x scope on a .22lr 32-40mm would be as big as I would go.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I think the rangefinder scope would be okay as the rangefinder is similar to what the fellows in justice use on the golf course whereas laser sights, holosights etc. are used by evil ninjas hellbent on world domination and the destruction of all things good. Or something like that ;).

I was looking for the rangefinder built into the scope on the basis that I won't need 5 hands to manage the lot only to find out after all the fumbling that dinner has moved on to the next county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

bushnell do one. its about €700. Its an ignorant looking scope though. For .22 I wouldn't bother. Set the scope 1" high at 50 and it'll be good for 80yds point blank.

You could set up targets at 25, 50, 75 and 100yds just to confirm where the bullet is striking.

a 3-9 x 40 scope is ideal for a 22

Perhaps something in a mildot reticle might suit

I definitely don't want to look like one of these lads who thinks he's going into 'nam and not out down the fields for a bunny or two, on the other hand:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Who recommended ya a rangefinder scope?

Why not just buy a hand held rangefinder?

€700 would buy you a Leica crf 900 with change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Slug chucker

The Burris isn't great, they all only go up to 12X mag. They are quiet clunky and require weaver/picatinny rail for fitting. The optical clarity is about as good as a cheap BSA (no offence to BSA owners but for €700 I expected more)
    It is handy for its bullet drop reticule and it's really fast to range a target, push the remote select the correct reticule and bang (once it's calibrated)
    A lot of pro's and a lot of con's on this one.
    For a .22 I wouldn’t bother, I’d personally buy a hand held laser rangefinder like the rest of the guys recommended. Some even calculate elevation angles into bullet drop.
    Cheers,
    Slug Chucker

:Dto avoid all this scope nonsense buy a 17hmr. flat to 100yds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Jonty wrote: »

Where's the fun in that though :P

(HMR here I come... hopefully :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭buckshotbrolan

+ one on that!!!:D Would recommend one over a 22 any day!
    Check out youtube, 22 vs 17hmr.

Won't the shots take ages switching between the rangefinder and the rifle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

bushnell do one. its about €700. Its an ignorant looking scope though. For .22 I wouldn't bother. Set the scope 1" high at 50 and it'll be good for 80yds point blank.

You could set up targets at 25, 50, 75 and 100yds just to confirm where the bullet is striking.

a 3-9 x 40 scope is ideal for a 22

Perhaps something in a mildot reticle might suit

Couldn't agree more. Spend half the the difference in price on practice ammo and there won't be a bunny safe within a hundred yards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I could be wrong but isn't any sort of laser/NV type scope falling into the restricted category? Many people use handheld rangefinders, you can start cheap and work up to very expensive Leica models, then again you can also find them for handy money in the US.
    I don't think you need anything more than 4x scope on a .22lr 32-40mm would be as big as I would go.

Yep!
    you'd be wrong-
    these items have nothing to do with the restricted list.

Even at that I'd say you're being over cautious in your take of the legal side of this.

Firstly any and all issues around this issue revolve around the words light beam, even though the distance measuring devices us a laser its safe to say that this is not a typical light beam as seen on Sic-fi movies:)

Anyway a 4 mag scope is a bit small imo:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Ivan, a laser is a light beam by definition.
    Please don't go advising people they don't need to worry about licences, especially when the statute is very explicit on this particular point.
    Scope with laser rangefinder - licence or authorisation mandatory. End of discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Anyway a 4 mag scope is a bit small imo:rolleyes:

Small for what .22lr? You have to be joking, 4x is perfect for rimfires, sure you could get a 3-9x but they are a lot more expensive and I don't shoot much past 100m with my Anschutz anyway.
    None of the many late rabbits ever complained that 4x was too small.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

kowloon wrote: »
    So I'm looking for a rangefindint practice you need a bit more field crafg scope as recommended, but they all seem to be made for longer range than I need.
    What should I be looking for to mount on a .22?
    I want to hit the rabbit, not the flea on his back.

What the hell would you want a range finder for with a 22. You are talking maximum on the outside 100yds. If you need a range finder for 22 you need a bit of field craft training

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

What the hell would you want a range finder for with a 22. You are talking maximum on the outside 100yds. If you need a range finder for 22 you need a bit of field craft training

I Could not agree with that statement.

Know your distance.
    Know your drop.

Even more so with the 22lr.

Its a clean kill the hunter is wanting - not just the hit and hope that many people seem to have.

I use a range finder and drop chart and dial in the drop on the scope I can head hit rabbits @120m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭meathshooter

found this browsing http://www.retrevo.com/s/Leica-7x42-BD-Binoculars-review-manual/id/21051bh248/t/1-2/ has to be in the money $480 I use a leica 900 myself if I'm unsure of distance.also great crack guessing the distance and then using the range finder to see if your right

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055719877

I'm not sure I can judge distance anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

I have always found it hard to judge distance unless there was something near by that I could compare size against. In places I used to hunt often, I would often walk and step out land marks along ditches to have an idea of the range.

one could use a mildot reticle for ranging

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Sparks wrote: »
    Scope with laser rangefinder - licence or authorisation mandatory. End of discussion.
    Afraid in this case I have to disagree with you ;).
    Bushnell’s Yardage Pro rangefinders use an invisible, eye-safe Class 1 laser beam (as classified by the FDA), which is “bounced” off distant objects with the press of a button
    So an invisible light beam that is only active for a very brief length of time is not a 'light beam' as described in the act. Being invisible and all :)

There's nothing in the act about duration of the light beam nor its specific characteristics (other than it being a part of the scope). It's a laser - by definition it's a light beam, whether that definition is statute-based or based on physics. There's no such thing as a laser which is not a beam of light. I mean, that's what the name itself actually means - Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation.

Arguing that a laser isn't a light beam under the act is taking the mickey on at least two seperate levels and any solicitor or barrister worth his pay would crucify you for it if you tried it in court.

A stand alone rangefinder, even if used in conjunction with a rifle, would be fine right? Or could it be seen as circumventing the law by using essentially the same device but detached?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

kowloon wrote: »
    A stand alone rangefinder, even if used in conjunction with a rifle, would be fine right? Or could it be seen as circumventing the law by using essentially the same device but detached?
    No it's not a problem, but notwithstanding Sparks' contribution I would still advise that a laser rangefinding scope is not what is considered under the act. It may not say it specifically, but the spirit of the definition refers to sights that are designed to operate in the dark as opposed to other uses of a laser.

Otherwise you'd also be in trouble if you strapped your cd player to your rifle. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Sparks wrote: »
    There's nothing in the act about duration of the light beam nor its specific characteristics (other than it being a part of the scope). It's a laser - by definition it's a light beam, whether that definition is statute-based or based on physics. There's no such thing as a laser which is not a beam of light. I mean, that's what the name itself actually means - Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation.

Arguing that a laser isn't a light beam under the act is taking the mickey on at least two seperate levels and any solicitor or barrister worth his pay would crucify you for it if you tried it in court.

I wandered into my local airsoft shop, last week. They had laser sights for the airsoft pistols etc.....

So is it only against the law when attached to what is classed as a firearm? Or is it a case of them been illegal to own full stop??

So is it only against the law when attached to what is classed as a firearm?
    The DoJ advised the IAA (the airsoft NGB) that it wasn't an issue if strapped to an airsoft as they're not firearms. If you had laser grips for your CF pistol though, I reckon you'd hear a different take on things.

rrpc, if you strapped a cd player to your firearm, it wouldn't be designed to work with the firearm so it wouldn't be a component part - you'd really have to have p'd someone off to get that kind of case taken against you. But a laser rangefinding scope is pretty much the solid incarnation of what the legislation says in part (g) of the definition. I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole without something in writing from my local Super, it's just not worth the hassle.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Can either of you (Sparks or rrpc) put up the part of the act that deals with this issue.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

From Section 1 of the Act as amended, which is where all the definitions are (or most of them anyway):
    “firearm” means—
    (g) except where the context otherwise requires, any component part of any article referred to in any of the foregoing paragraphs and, without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing, the following articles shall be deemed to be such component parts:
    (i) telescope sights with a light beam, or telescope sights with an electronic light amplification device or an infra-red device, designed to be fitted to a firearm specified in paragraph (a), (b), (c) or (e),

• Advertisement

Are you telling me I can never own that CD player/microwave combo gun from Beverly Hills Cop III? :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement