Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Trim

Options
  • 02-11-2009 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi all , my self and the partner are just about to buy a house in Trim ......... signing next monday in fact.

We are moving to a place called Butterstream Manor, just off Kildalkey road (new development ) just wanted to know if anyone had any information on the place such as what the estate and the sourrending estates are like ?? and would anyone be able to tell me what tv, phone , broadband they are using around there and who are the bin company for that area ??

all info rellivent or irillevent would be greatly appreicated at the moment thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Myself and my family are moving soon to Trim also all going well. Different esate but here's what I have found out so far - might be different for your estate:

- Waste is handled by a private operator Mahon Waste. http://www.mahons.ie/index.php
    This might be different depending on the estate.

- Broadband seems to be either via telephone line (DSL) or mobile broadband USB stick from mobile operators. If chosing the latter, make sure you are in the coverage area. I am unaware of other options but there could be some wireless internet providers (these seem to be dearer than the phone line options). Having looked at a few, Vodafone landline and broadband seems to be the best pricewise for me. I use UPC cable here in Dublin at the moment which is great but unfortunately not an option in Trim.

- Television - UPC offer packages through MMDS as far as I know in Trim - that's not cable but an aerial and subscription. Sky of course is available, or analogue/digital Irish channels with an aerial and the right TV/decoder. You can get the BBC/ITV etc. channels on a dish for free.

Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Chelios

Butterstream Manor is nice quiet estate although I dont think its finished at the moment. Other surrounding estates are Eldergrove and Avondale (across the road) and Castle Abbey just up the road towards the town are nice quiet estates too.

There is a short cut into the town if you are walking. Just walk to the end of Eldergrove or Avondale and there is a pathway along the river which brings you to the pedistrian bridge beside the playground and pitch and putt course. Would take about 5 minutes to do it instead of the 10 or so minutes by road.

A while ago I spoke with the developer of the estate just after some little gurriers caused €25000 to his machinary but he was going mad over the 6-7 little trees they knocked. He said they only cost him about 2-300 each but it was the amount of work tendering to them that he was vexed over. That was the only time I have ever seen trouble in that part of the town tbh.

Mahon Refuse in Oaktree Business Park, Athboy Rd, Trim would be the main collectors in the area.

Dont know what the broadband is like though.

Overall Trim is a very nice town and is kept very clean. Of course there are problem people in it but show me a town who doesnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 leo09

Thanks alot you have been very heplful. looks to be a nice area.
    Don't like the sound of the troublemaking in the area but i suppose you could get that anywhere. if anyone has anything to add on the houses themselves let me know.

If anyone has anymore info on Butterstream manor or trim it's shelf please let me know it would be much appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JennyMon

Hi Leo09, We could be neighbours! We bought also in Butterstream Manor...cant wait to move down :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 leo09

yeah everything in the area looks goods. don't know to much about trim itself yet.

Hi jennymon what do you think of the estate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JennyMon

I love it!!! They have it designed really nice...Really like the drive into it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Moved to trim april just gone and have to say i love it, Pubs are awesome :D . Nah them aside its a great place to live town is very well kept. The walk way down buy the boyne is terrific for a walk more so during the summer.. Once you settle you wont regret it! I dont!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Foxylocks

Hi!!
    How have you all settled in??
    I'm moved in a year ago.....and I'm lovin it....Don't miss dublin at all!!! Well except for the chineese takeaway I practically lived in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Our lease is up a few months now and we're looking to move into a larger place.

Better value seems to be had in both Navan and Trim. We're currently in Ratoath.

I'll be moving work to beside Dunshaughlin in a couple of months. The OH works in Mulhuddart. Do people think Trim is too far for a commute to Mulhuddart? Anyone got an idea how long it'd take?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Here a little over a year now, and settled in great. Love living here now, kids happy in new school/creche etc. and think we made the right move. Being able to walk out of the house and take a stroll or run by the Boyne is fantastic.

Nice sized town, has most things I'd want nearby (although I would like a bigger - meaning cheaper - supermarket). :) Loads to do though and the GAA and Aura centres are great facilities to have close by.

• Advertisement

Our lease is up a few months now and we're looking to move into a larger place.

Better value seems to be had in both Navan and Trim. We're currently in Ratoath.

I'll be moving work to beside Dunshaughlin in a couple of months. The OH works in Mulhuddart. Do people think Trim is too far for a commute to Mulhuddart? Anyone got an idea how long it'd take?

Dubh G., my better half works in Blanch 5 days a week. Takes her 30 mins door to door on the R154 through Batterstown, picking up the M3 at Dunboyne. No real time saving by going via the toll on the M3, maybe 5 mins max., but not worth €1.30 twice a day. Dunshaughlin is 15 mins drive away.

I'm biased of course, but as a place to live, I personally think Trim is streets ahead of Navan.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Only 30 min to Blanch is that a realistic time in traffic? I'm currently living in Dun Loghaire right beside work but I hate it, want to move back to Meath and travel but travel time would have to be an hour at most meaning I'm stuck here.

But 30 min to Blanch/M50 would give me loads of time to take the M50 to Dun Loaghaire, hhhmmmmm food for thought!

Well that's what it takes us to get from here to Blanch. 20 mins from Trim will get you to the bridge crossing the M3 (assuming you go through Batterstown and don't take the toll), another 10 mins from there and you are at the N3/M50. I travel to and from work in rush hour (as does my wife) and that's what it takes. There's no hold-ups now with the M50/N3 junction upgrade, and the fact that coming from Trim you have priority at the roundabout near the garden centre. Also you now freeflow from the N3 onto the M50, so no hold-ups there either.

For Trim to Dun Laoghaire, I'd go via Summerhill, Kilcock, M4 and M50 though to avoid the toll. That journey takes me a shade under an hour at the weekends. Not sure what that route would be like at rush hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

In terms of renting, are Daft or My Home the only places vacancies are advertised? Or are there some old school landlords out there that still use shop notice boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

PauloMN wrote: »
    For Trim to Dun Laoghaire, I'd go via Summerhill, Kilcock, M4 and M50 though to avoid the toll. That journey takes me a shade under an hour at the weekends. Not sure what that route would be like at rush hour.

Thanks its something I hadn't considered before will look into it over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

Hi

I leave Trim every morning at 0715 and I'm sitting at my desk at 0750 never late for my 0800 start (exceptt during the mad weather)

I leave work at 16.30 and I'm home at 17.15

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Cgoodie

If your going anywhere south of the city from Trim going to Kilcock and using the M4 is your best bet - it's about 20 mins morning and evening to get to/from the M4 roundabout plus you avoid the toll.

I would think getting to Dun Laoghaire at rush hour would take up to 1.5 hours which isn't so bad in my opinion anyway.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

One word of warning - be prepared for anything up to 15 minutes to get off the Summerhill Road at the T Junction in Kilcock - it can be a flippin' nightmare at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Hughes40

leo09 wrote: »
    Hi all , my self and the partner are just about to buy a house in Trim ......... signing next monday in fact.

We are moving to a place called Butterstream Manor, just off Kildalkey road (new development ) just wanted to know if anyone had any information on the place such as what the estate and the sourrending estates are like ?? and would anyone be able to tell me what tv, phone , broadband they are using around there and who are the bin company for that area ??

all info rellivent or irillevent would be greatly appreicated at the moment thanks

I'm just a stone throw away from your new estate. It's a nice estate too. We're using UPC coz we got broadband, tv and phone through one package,,, I don't like upc telly,, compared to sky it's very slow to load and navigate.

This should interest you, we've rented our house during the solheim cup this year and organized to stay with my mam. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056154110 . It could help you with your furnishing!!
    One word of warning - be prepared for anything up to 15 minutes to get off the Summerhill Road at the T Junction in Kilcock - it can be a flippin' nightmare at times.

+1 but only at certain times

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭alanajane

Piece of useless information, where your estate is built was once the home of the most beautiful gardens tended by a Mr. Jim Reynolds who owned the farmhouse there I not sure if that house is still standing. The gardens were open to the public and was even visited by Prince Charles himself many years ago.
    AES also have a bin collection in Trim and I think they are a bit cheaper.
    It lovely area to live in, good luck to ye all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 tommygarv

hi everyone,
    just a quick post, we are close to completing on a house in butterstream manor, just wondering how you all are getting on as I see some of you have been living there for a year now. Any advise? Everyone happy? Good place to live?
    On a side note I will be working in Blanch so that drive is ok but anyone know how long it would be to Crumlin hopsital?
    Cheers in advance

tommygarv wrote: »
    hi everyone,
    just a quick post, we are close to completing on a house in butterstream manor, just wondering how you all are getting on as I see some of you have been living there for a year now. Any advise? Everyone happy? Good place to live?
    On a side note I will be working in Blanch so that drive is ok but anyone know how long it would be to Crumlin hopsital?
    Cheers in advance

I hate the kip, worst decision I ever made to move here. :D

Nah, it's great, very happy here after a year and a half almost. Love being able to stroll out the front door and walk along the Boyne.

As regards advice, only thing really I'd suggest is that you investigate a water softener. Our water was so bad it was resulting in our litte girl having skin rashes (as well as all the other problems with showerheads etc..).

Not sure on drive to Crumlin, should be under an hour I guess. Blanch is around 30 mins drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Foxylocks

Hi

I moved to Butterstream over a year ago now and I love it!
    One complaint i do have is the water...I'm an avid tea drinker and the water isn't the same I have to boil bottled water but I don't mind :)
    It usually takes me about 20-30 mins to get to blanch and my dad lives just off Rialto so to get to crumlin i'd say about an hour. Might be a good idea to go by kilcock and come down M4 onto the N4...cut across the M50 southbound and come off at th tallaght exit down to crumlin might be a little easier

brilliant guys thanks a million, all the advise is great!

PauloMN did you install a water treatment system? If so can you recomend anyone? I am currently looking at getting one installed as everyone tells me the same thing about the water in Trim and may be best to do it now while house is built.

Also I know that their will be no management company in the development so it will be up to the residents to arange for common ground grass etc to be cut, has this been started or talked about yet?

Thanks again everyone, could be neighbours soon!

Have a good day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Meathgirl

draffodx wrote: »
    Only 30 min to Blanch is that a realistic time in traffic? I'm currently living in Dun Loghaire right beside work but I hate it, want to move back to Meath and travel but travel time would have to be an hour at most meaning I'm stuck here.

But 30 min to Blanch/M50 would give me loads of time to take the M50 to Dun Loaghaire, hhhmmmmm food for thought!

Hey
    I drove to Dun Laoghaire every day for two years from Athboy.... in less than an hour some days!
    I went via summerhill, kilcock and onto the M4....... also cuts out the toll bridge..... traffic moved along nicely and never found it much of a chore....

Go for it! Move home!!

MG

brilliant guys thanks a million, all the advise is great!

PauloMN did you install a water treatment system? If so can you recomend anyone? I am currently looking at getting one installed as everyone tells me the same thing about the water in Trim and may be best to do it now while house is built.

Also I know that their will be no management company in the development so it will be up to the residents to arange for common ground grass etc to be cut, has this been started or talked about yet?

Thanks again everyone, could be neighbours soon!

Have a good day

I did, had to as the water was so bad. Mine cost around €600, I believe similar models were up to €1000 during the Celtic Tiger madness, so you should definitely shop around as there are bargains to be had. I used EW Technologies (they're in Blanch) but there's loads of companies to choose from.

Best of luck in Trim, I'm sure you'll love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

Cgoodie wrote: »
    I would think getting to Dun Laoghaire at rush hour would take up to 1.5 hours which isn't so bad in my opinion anyway.
    anyone know how long it would be to Crumlin hopsital?

Anywhere south of the Liffey I always use the M4 because the Phoenix Park can be a nightmare coming from the M3/Blanch side.
    Trim to Kilmainham takes me 50 minutes on a bad day so Trim to Crumlin shouldn't take more than that really. Go to Kilcock, take the M4 and then the M50 southbound to the Long Mile Road and you're there.
    I'd follow the same route to get to Dun Laoghaire, staying on the M50 southbound all the way.
    Both of these routes are toll-free, another reason to choose the M4 from Kilcock instead of M3 and then having to pay the West Link toll.

Hi Guys!

Back again, our house in Butterstream is being built as we speak. Looking forward to moving in. We are looking for some short term accom for 3 months from August till end of October, does anyone know any private landlords or short term accom / house shares in Trim?
    Cheers all

Tommy

Hi Guys!

Back again, our house in Butterstream is being built as we speak. Looking forward to moving in. We are looking for some short term accom for 3 months from August till end of October, does anyone know any private landlords or short term accom / house shares in Trim?
    Cheers all

Tommy

Your best bet would probably be to contact one of the estate agents, there's two in Trim (SherryFitz and TE Potterton) that I can think of offhand, could be others also.

http://www.tepotterton.com/index.php
    http://www.daft.ie/sfroyal/

• Advertisement

Thanks PauloMN, tried agencies but 6month rental at least! thanks anyway, appreciate the help :)

Advertisement