Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Trim

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 tommygarv

Hi Everyone,
    Hope you are all well
    We are nearly there, the house in butterstream will be finished in next couple of weeks and we will be moving in, cant wait! I have been looking up broadband providers but it would appear UPC doesnt cover butterstream manor for phone & broadband. Anyone using anyone apart from eircom?
    Thanks as usual for all your advice
    Tommy

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

tommygarv wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,
    Hope you are all well
    We are nearly there, the house in butterstream will be finished in next couple of weeks and we will be moving in, cant wait! I have been looking up broadband providers but it would appear UPC doesnt cover butterstream manor for phone & broadband. Anyone using anyone apart from eircom?
    Thanks as usual for all your advice
    Tommy

Hi Tommy,

Welcome to Trim (nearly)! Good luck with the move, make sure you are happy with everything in the house before you accept it, get a thorough snag done.

As for broadband - UPC generally only do MMDS around here (which is a TV only service via a square grid roof aerial) - no broadband or phone service with it. Someestates may have the cable service you need for broadband - I suspect Knightsbrook might be one - but I'm not sure.

I use Vodafone for phone and broadband, and it's been very good overall, very few problems in the last nearly 2 years I have been here. I have a 7Mb broadband package with line rental and free anytime Ireland calls for around €45. You will need to get Eircom to enable your line, but then you just switch provider as soon as the line is active. You can use any other provider that works over DSL phone line.

Hope that helps!

Hey Paulo, thanks for that! Yep happy with the house, should be moving in next week, Butterstream Manor here we come, cant wait. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭vinn

steer well clear od mahons waste
    they give everyone a different price have a look at their web page no clear prices displayed
    thorntons or aec are good operators
    as for butterstream manor its a fab place hope you enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Foxylocks

Hi Everyone!
    Hope you are all well!

I was just wondering if anyone knows of a residents committee for butterstream manor? If not I strongly think there should be one set up. There are alot of issues amongst a fair few of us and we would like to address these with the builder and hopefully get them resolved. For instance:

The amount of pot holes and raised manholes on the roads.
    The amount of broken street lights
    Broken paths
    Landscaping

These are just to name a few.

I don't want to discourage people who are looking to buy in butterstream its just that since the estate was built, certain things have lapsed and there are a lot of concerns that we should address. Afterall, the builder is still responsible for the estate before he hands it over to the council to be maintained. I know there is construction still going on but there has to be a continuity of maintenance with the exisitng residants.

I do know that there are a few neighbours that have issues with their house and they have asked thr builder to address them and they are still waiting to hear from him. I strongly think we need to make our voices heard on this, after all we are paying enough money on our mortgages why should we sit back and wait for nothing to happen.

If anyone knows of how we can get the ball rolling on this I would love to hear from you.

Thanks in advance
    Foxylocks :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Foxylocks wrote: »
    I don't want to discourage people who are looking to buy in butterstream its just that since the estate was built, certain things have lapsed and there are a lot of concerns that we should address. Afterall, the builder is still responsible for the estate before he hands it over to the council to be maintained. I know there is construction still going on but there has to be a continuity of maintenance with the exisitng residants.

I'm sure you already know that unfinished estates are one of the mains reasons for councils not taking them over in the first place.

This is an old story at this stage and I don't have any recent figures to hand but is definitely something to bear in mind:
    http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/councils-refuse-to-take-over-twothirds-of-new-estates-1937680.html

I'm not trying to put the fear into you but it's something your committee should be aware of. As you say yourself, you are stronger as a group and should tackle the builder head on before he completes the houses and rides off into the sunset.

The builder needs to see that it's in their interest too to have the estate finished to a respectable level so that they can pass it over to the council and not risk having to be dragged through the courts for any future maintenance costs.

This issue needs to be addressed quickly while the developer still has the funds. Best of luck with the whole thing.

Edit: Google "councils taking over estates" you'll see plenty of stories about this matter from around the country

Hi!
    Thanks for taking the time to reply!

I'm hopnig to god that our estate if not going to be one of them!!
    I know plenty of people living in ghost estates that have nothing done to them and never will have, they look the pitts!

Hi...Does anyone know if Stephen the builder has pulled out of the site? All the machinery and the sign are now gone....i thought there was planning permission for a couple of more detatched houses to be built?
    Seems that there is no sign of him coming back just wondering if anyone knows anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 olympian2012

"Hi...Does anyone know if Stephen the builder has pulled out of the site? All the machinery and the sign are now gone....i thought there was planning permission for a couple of more detatched houses to be built?
    Seems that there is no sign of him coming back just wondering if anyone knows anything?"

Heya Not sure if there was any more building going on in town, but thought I would say to you best people to contact would be the County Council in Navan! perhaps the planning department

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ammini

tommygarv wrote: »
    hi everyone,
    just a quick post, we are close to completing on a house in butterstream manor, just wondering how you all are getting on as I see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 ammini

Hai there we myself and my husband is panning to buy this newly builthouse in buttersterem just wondering how u all r getting on with the house is it worth?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

We moved out from Swords to Trim last June and are delighted with the way things are panning out, love the town and the people are cool.

Can't see us moving again

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Carlan450

Im looking at moving into trim and am interested in the 3 story town houses in Butterstream. There seems to be a few in this thread living there. anyone have any idea what these buildings are like? quality, noise travel from attached house etc...?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Mooby

Looked at these house and they seem to be well finished and well built. Have heard no complaints about them locally. Good location and a nice estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Alan T Corcoran

Hi

I hope you don't mind me jumping on this thread, you all seem v happy in Trim , my family and I ( 2 young kids and 3rd on the way !) are looking at moving to either Athboy or Ballivor as Trim prices are a bit out of our range , do you have info on the above areas. would really appreciate any info anyone out there has to share on these including the areas themselves , social clubs , schools , .Commutes into Dublin for work purposes and general standard of living there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Hi All,

Just wondering how people are getting on now in Butterstream. I was looking at the big 4 bed detached houses that are currently being built. They look like good, well built houses. Anyone in the current 4 bed detached (or other) houses have any issues with finishes, quality etc?

Thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Hi

I hope you don't mind me jumping on this thread, you all seem v happy in Trim , my family and I ( 2 young kids and 3rd on the way !) are looking at moving to either Athboy or Ballivor as Trim prices are a bit out of our range , do you have info on the above areas. would really appreciate any info anyone out there has to share on these including the areas themselves , social clubs , schools , .Commutes into Dublin for work purposes and general standard of living there

Out of both places, and this is just my personal opinion, I'd go for Athboy over Ballivor. Ballivor would be way too quiet for me - I'd be bored out of my mind, Athboy is a bit bigger and has more going on. Bear in mind I spent most of my life living in Dublin suburbs, so the quietness might not bother other people.

It depends what your priorities are really, I suppose you can add between 15 and 20 minutes onto a commute compared with Trim. That would be just a bit too much for me from Dublin (again personally speaking), especially as the roads get pretty bad once you pass Trim.

There is a bus (route 111) that will take you from Athboy to Dublin city, it's fairly regular in the mornings and evenings. The bus service from Ballivor is much more sporadic from what I can see, think it's the 115A.
    Hi All,

Just wondering how people are getting on now in Butterstream. I was looking at the big 4 bed detached houses that are currently being built. They look like good, well built houses. Anyone in the current 4 bed detached (or other) houses have any issues with finishes, quality etc?

Thanks

I remember there was at least one poster on here who had bought in Butterstream. Do a search for "Butterstream" within this form and you'll find the poster(s) who did, send them a PM. Look like nice houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

Hey guys, trying to resurface this post!

My self and my other half are looking to move to trim in the coming months.

Waiting on our house to sell, seem to be attracted to houses in tower view and boardsmill.
    Is anyone living here ?
    How is broadband and connection etc, the best provider?
    We're both quite active, seems there are quite a few gym classes around and things to do..

Any help with the area or Trim at all would be much appreciated!!

Hi There

I posted on this thread in 2011 with the same questions. We moved to Trim that year and have never looked back. The town is simply brilliant for anyone. The town itself has everything you need, the people are great and the atmosphere is second to none. The Trim Tidy Town do an amazing job keeping it so clean and huge amounts of flowers go up in spring. Always events going on. This weekend they are closing the main street and having a Christmas Market.

In terms of activities you will not be lost, we have Aura Leisure Center, Knightsbrook Hotel Leisure Center. For outdoors Trim has a very engaged Cycling Club, Running Club and Canoe Club - all can be found on Facebook. All other sports like GAA etc are very well represented also, i just personally don't know much about those. For kids there is a huge new play park by the river. In the town itself next to the Castle you will see huge area's of green fields, these are the Porch Fields and are fully open to public use. The various large areas are looped with walking paths and a brilliant resource for a walk, run, cycle etc. Numerous times across the year events are held in this area like Vintage Car Rally etc.

In relation to broadband etc I believe all providers or most can be found in the town. We have Fibre Optic so no issues there. I cannot comment on areas outside of the main town though like Boardsmill, I wouldn't be sure. If you search Facebook for 'Trim General Discussion Board' this is a very active group were people ask for advise on broadband and everything else so you can search the group or ask a question and you will always get a good response.

In terms of location, its going to be personal choice. Living in the town means your only a walk from everything you could want. Moving outside the town likes Boardsmill will be more isolated but your living surrounded by fields which has its advantages. Boardsmill is a lovely area. Personal choice. Buying or renting in Trim can be hard to find these days and it is more expensive than other areas near by like Navan etc however its all relative.

I personally commute to Blanchardstown to work and takes approx 40minutes door to door.

Happy house hunting and if you make the move welcome! Its a brilliant town!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Geranium40

shakencat wrote: »
    Hey guys, trying to resurface this post!

My self and my other half are looking to move to trim in the coming months.

Waiting on our house to sell, seem to be attracted to houses in tower view and boardsmill.
    Is anyone living here ?
    How is broadband and connection etc, the best provider?
    We're both quite active, seems there are quite a few gym classes around and things to do..

Any help with the area or Trim at all would be much appreciated!!

Hi
    As I said, go for it. We moved from Dublin 12 years ago and have no regrets. Trim is a great town, very friendly with great amenities and schools. As regards Trim or Boardsmill (I live in Boardsmill) you have to decide if you want to be in a town or out of it. I prefer the space, quiet and privacy but you have to drive everywhere.
    What I would strongly recommend if you move is to get involved in activities, clubs or voluntary work. It is the best way to meet people. You should come to the Trim market this weekend to get a flavour of the town.
    Best of luck with your decisions

• Advertisement

Both posts sound amazing.

Thank you!!

Putting my mind at ease!
    I've grown up in Dublin, and I was worried of drastic change!!

I work in Cabra myself so, the drive of roughly 40 mins is grand :)

Thank you for your replied and keep them coming!!

Both posts sound amazing.

Thank you!!

Putting my mind at ease!
    I've grown up in Dublin, and I was worried of drastic change!!

I work in Cabra myself so, the drive of roughly 40 mins is grand :)

Thank you for your replied and keep them coming!!

Can't really add much to the posts above, other than agreeing with both of them. We moved 7 years ago from Dublin and love it here. Great community feel to the place and as stated above, you should throw yourself into the local activities and you'll get to know people really quickly.

Cabra is grand for a commute, by car 40 mins or so will get you there if you leave early enough. I get to Phibsboro in 45 mins in the morning, and back home in under an hour usually depending on traffic.

Tower View is very central, you can walk to town in minutes from there. Boardsmill is a few miles out so you need to decide what you are looking for really. Outside of town, the broadband could be more of an issue, I know people who live a few miles out of town and have poor (or zero) broadband and rely on 3G/4G broadband. There are increasing wireless options though.

If you grew up in Dublin city, I'd say moving out to Boardsmill could be a shock to the system, but everyone is different. I like to be able to walk to town so I live in one of the small estates in Trim. It's all relative though - someone once asked me if I'd ever move to the country, and I replied "I thought I had!!!". Out in Boardsmill and the likes, you will of course get a bigger house and gardens to go with it, so it all depends on what you prefer.

In town, you should have decent broadband via phone line, so Eir, Vodafone etc. are an option and should get you 100Mbit. Some estates also have cable (i.e. Virgin).

Stuff to do - all stated above, absolutely loads on. GAA, soccer, running/athletics, cycling, drama, canoeing, scouts, martial arts etc.. You have the gyms as stated and there are also strength/conditioning classes around also. Plenty going on.

The river, the castle and steeple and the Porchfields are an absolute gem though. They really make the town what it is and I'm glad they have been preserved and kept so well.

Good luck with your move!

Thank you for this,
    Broadband is a an issue with the other half as he works from home and needs a good connection!
    definitely something we will have to look into.

is there a walking area that dogs can be off leash?
    Forest type areas?
    I have two large dogs, places are limited in Dublin, parks here and there but normally occupied with young children enjoying the outdoors (of course this is brilliant but i wouldnt allow my two off lead as one would be far too interested in what the children are doing, ie, steal the football and leg it!!)
    id really love access to some sort of forest walk if they are available!!

i was really worried about moving but these posts really make me feel at ease.

Apart from friends saying im mad(they afraid of moving from beloved Dublin :/ ) im really excited.

The distance from where i live to town in dublin could take 1.5hours during rush hour! 20 mins with normal!! so realistically, there is zero difference in commute!

I work afternoon to evening so wouldnt hit rush hour, which makes it alot more desirable!

That and there is a hell of alot more options with the pricing being significantly lower than dublin houses :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

My main problem with Trim is that we only moved there last year :D I'm serious about that too. There's a slight regret we didn't buy when prices were a good bit cheaper a few years ago.

Trim was on my radar about 6-7 years ago and we viewed a couple of rentals there just before we got married.

We got a super deal on a great house in Ratoath at the time, which we jumped at, and that was where we stayed until last year when we finally bought in Trim having been priced out of what we would have liked house-wise in Raotath.

I couldn't fault Ratoath but we just love Trim so much more. Lovely neighbours. Friendly but not too familiar. People acknowledge each other out walking/running around. I've joined the GAA club myself. Fighting against the dying of the light...

I haven't seen the pubs mentioned in the other posts. There's some great wee spots. Aldi is coming to the town too. Planning passed by Bord Pleanala so just waiting to turn the sod.

I'm so excited :)

Wish the process would hurry up!

So we have accepted an offer on our house in Dublin, meaning, the ball is rolling to move to Trim.

Nervous, but thats normal im sure! nervous of the unknown!

Very few houses on the market at the moment so not sure what to do in regards to waiting or am i choosing the best of a small bunch.

I know no one can answer to anything ive just said! just thoughts going through my mind!

So we have accepted an offer on our house in Dublin, meaning, the ball is rolling to move to Trim.

Nervous, but thats normal im sure! nervous of the unknown!

Very few houses on the market at the moment so not sure what to do in regards to waiting or am i choosing the best of a small bunch.

I know no one can answer to anything ive just said! just thoughts going through my mind!

Yes, not a great selection at the moment. If you can the best option might be to rent and wait for the right house to come up.

Talk to the local estate agents would be my recommendation, local knowledge is worth a fortune when hunting for houses. They will know of houses that might be coming up soon but which are not online. Also sometimes people don't want their house plastered all over websites so talking to estate agents is well worth it.

If you are after a new build, I know planning has recently been granted for a bunch of houses of mixed type at the back of Knightsbrook off the Dublin Road. I'll post a link if I can find one.

PauloMN wrote: »
    Yes, not a great selection at the moment. If you can the best option might be to rent and wait for the right house to come up.

Talk to the local estate agents would be my recommendation, local knowledge is worth a fortune when hunting for houses. They will know of houses that might be coming up soon but which are not online. Also sometimes people don't want their house plastered all over websites so talking to estate agents is well worth it.

If you are after a new build, I know planning has recently been granted for a bunch of houses of mixed type at the back of Knightsbrook off the Dublin Road. I'll post a link if I can find one.

oh please do if you find it.
    I spoke to estate agents today, they said there a few to crop up end of the month.
    Told her what im looking for/what i have liked that have already been on sale and sold.. and she said i should be looking at the older builds (I want a large back garden as we have two large dogs)
    mentioned the area avondale?

but obviously if the right house pops up new or old we can re think what we actually need/want.

Advertisement