Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon Ixus 200 IS

• 02-11-2009 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

Contemplating buying this as a present at Christmas but unsure as to what accessories are essential. Ideally I'd like to not spend any more than the 303 stated (even more when you include postage) but then again, I don't want the person to receive a present that's missing vital parts!

Canon Ixus

Appreciate any feedback, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Fnergg

You need to buy a memory card as well. Go for a 2GB SD card.

Are you sure you want to buy the IXUS 200? There are cheaper IXUS models.
    See: http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/cat9.html

Regards,

Fnergg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

I have the IXUS 100 as well as the D90, cant fail the IXUS, its a deadly camera

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Raging Bob

Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty set on the Ixus and I see that it's a lot cheaper on amazon so I might just order it off there. Although there aren't many cases on that site that are suited for the Ixus 200 for some reason?

Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

Ixus 200 is £248 incl postage here: http://www.digital-cameras.com/product.asp?ProductName=Canon-Ixus-200-IS-Silver&ProductID=10395 They have bundle offers that include cases, cards and spare batteries. Even with sterling its still cheaper than Pixmania.

Just bought a lens of them last week and it arrived within 3 days.

• Advertisement

Cool, thanks for that. Did you bother with the spare battery? Might just leave that out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

Raging Bob wrote: »
    Cool, thanks for that. Did you bother with the spare battery? Might just leave that out.

I wasnt buying a camera. I got a lens, but I do find a spare battery handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

I bought the 980IS from Amazon during the summertime. Check the price & spec, it beats the nuts off of the 200 imho and the price is comparable..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/IXUS-Stylish-Black-Optical-Zoom/dp/B001G7PBGO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1257336086&sr=8-1

Thanks for that. It's 357 on Amazon which is a little bit out of my range unfortunately!

Know of anywhere else doing the 980 for a similar price?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Whatever one you get, the only "accessory" that will be required is a memory card, as you cannot use the camera without one. The retailers will bundle in a card but even at their discount prices you can often buy them cheaper elsewhere, but it is convienient to get them together. Depends on how tight the budget is.

The other items are in the "nice to have" catagory.

The spare battery is handy if the person will be using the camera a lot without getting to a place to recharge. Once again you can pick up generic batteries at a much cheaper price than you will be offered one in the bundle.

A Case is also a good idea to protect the camera. For a P&S there are often other small cases around which will fit the camera as well as bits & bobs for good prices.

Having said that it can be nice to have the whole kit arrive together if it's a gift.

The market for P&S Cameras is very competitive & there are a lot of good models out there. You will not go wrong getting a Canon as I don't think they make a bad camera in the compact range, in fact I think they excell in this area. If you are still unsure about the model there is a sticky at the top of the forum which can help you confirm your choice.

Thanks CabinSail, taken on board. Will probably just go for the memory card and the case.

I know these "which one should I get" threads are tedious but I genuinely want advice here (don't want to screw up!). I'm looking at these two now as the 980 IS seems out of reach.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Digital-IXUS-Camera-Optical/dp/tech-data/B001T9NH0Q/ref=de_a_smtd

and

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Digital-IXUS-200-Camera/dp/B002LSI1J6/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

Is there a huge difference between the two? Which would you guys go for?

Thanks!

Sorry to bump this but need an expert opinion asap! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

Had a quick read of both cameras. If you have the extra money then I would defo vote the IXUS 990. It seems to have more features and a much better all round performer in comparison to the other one. Both seem to be very good quality cameras though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

Advertisement