Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need help on how to obtain a Tax Clearance cert

• 02-11-2009 5:59pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok so I started a 3 month public sector contract and I was told that I need to have a Tax Clearance cert so I can be paid. I applied for one through Revenue.ie online application service but I never got one. I have now rang up the tax office and they have just told me that I need to register for an income tax number before I can receive and Tax Clearance Cert. I have no idea how to do this!

So, are they right in saying that I need a Income tax number?

How do I go about getting one?

This is very worrying for me because I am seriously low on money and I can't get paid until I get this sorted so any help is much appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

There is no such thing as "income tax number"

There is however a PPS Number which I presume is what they are talking about.

Do you have a PPS Number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭mickbyrne

You need to register as self employed for Income Tax, hence the Referance to an Income tax number. You may also need to register for a VAT, and get a VAT number depending on what your annual turnover is likely to be. If the registration is for you as a self employed person, your Income Tax reference number will be the same as your PPS number. You need a form TR1 from the revenue website to register.

I would advise that you go to an accountant. If you are doing a 3 month government sector contract, it is likely that your annual sales will be greater that the VAT registration limit. If you need to be registered but are not, the penalties can work out to a large sum of money.

Regards, Michael
    www.perspective.ie

Advertisement