Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating - English, History?

Options
  • 02-11-2009 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi all, I've made the decision this week to repeat my Leaving Cert, as my college course doesn't appeal to me as much as I thought it might. I got 470 points last year and I'm aiming for 500-515.

The subjects I'll be doing are:
    English
    Irish
    Maths
    German
    History
    Music

First what I want to know is, which of these subjects have different courses to last year? Will the German Bildergeschichte and Rollenspiele be the same? And the Irish poetry?

Secondly, the History course is perplexing me. As far as I can make out, I can do the "Dictatorship and Democracy" and "Movements of Political and Social Reform" that I did last year. What document questions must I prepare for? Can anyone recommend a third essay topic? And can I use the same Research Topic that I used last year?

Thirdly, in English, it would be great if someone could suggest texts for the comparative study for me. I have already read the Grapes of Wrath, so it would probably be easier for me to use that and two others. So I'd love a recommendation.

Thanks all. I'll remember you in August!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

dhyland wrote: »
    Thirdly, in English, it would be great if someone could suggest texts for the comparative study for me. I have already read the Grapes of Wrath, so it would probably be easier for me to use that and two others. So I'd love a recommendation.

Check the texts you did this year against the 2010 list so you can see what texts/poets you can use again: http://www.education.ie/home/home.jsp?pcategory=17216&page=&maincat=&ecategory=17233&sectionpage=&link=&subject=17601&language=EN
    You'll have to do a new Shakespeare play but not necessarily as your single text - it may be easier to work King Lear into a comparative.

Don't think the Irish poetry has changed (am not teaching it this year so open to correction).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

Hey! English course has changed, you'll have to look into the texts but poetry is Longley, Rich, Walcott, Boland, Yeats, Kavanagh.. I'm repeating as well and finding it kind of hard.
    History docs are Coleraine University, The apprenticeship boys and the Sunningdale Agreement.
    Everything else is the same though AFAIK!

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Secondly, the History course is perplexing me. As far as I can make out, I can do the "Dictatorship and Democracy" and "Movements of Political and Social Reform" that I did last year. What document questions must I prepare for? Can anyone recommend a third essay topic? And can I use the same Research Topic that I used last year?

Is movements of political and social reform from the irish section? If it's the one I'm thinking of(Parnell etc), do that, dictatorship and democracy and sovereignty and partition. Or you could do the USA book instead of dictorship and democracy.
    You're not supposed to use the same project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dhyland

Thanks for the help - I have a clearer image now(although I still don't know about German)

Now, is it possible for me to study on my own and sit the physical exam in my old school(or anywhere really) without having to attend said institution? If so, how do I register? I've scoured the net and can't find any information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

Yep! You can just ask your old principle can you do the exam there and maybe you could sit in on a few of the classees?
    It is possible to study on your own...if you actually study! It could be tough but that's what the internets for!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Now, is it possible for me to study on my own and sit the physical exam in my old school(or anywhere really) without having to attend said institution? If so, how do I register? I've scoured the net and can't find any information.

You need to get onto the department of education to apply to sit the LC as an external student (you need an exam number!). Ring them, don't think there are any online forms

Advertisement