Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nautilus won't open /home - corrupted filenames

• 02-11-2009 6:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

Not sure how this happened, last thing I did before this started was add gnome-system-monitor onto gnome-panel.

I can open up nautilus, but if I navigate to /home or any of it's subfolders it just shuts down. If I navigate to /home in terminal I can see a lot of corrupt files;

??????nLn-?yw?NY?If???k????X-?$?%m??BOz????e?K=R%%Pሬ䚬?k??最F1?W????3h?????????%U????~??
    ??O

I've tried resetting permissions for home folder but I'm kind of assuming nautilus isn't opening these folders because of the corrupted files. How do I remove/isolate the corrupted files from terminal, seeing as I don't actually know what they're called and I can't find any way to reference a file called "??O" .. This is infuriating because I'm on a deadline for work tomorrow. I'm going to go home now and see if I can copy the workspaces I need onto a USB drive and work on the home computer. Any other advice at this stage would be appreciated, as I can't rely on hopefully finding a fix by tomorrow so I'll do a full reinstall later if nothing works. :/ Gaaaaaah

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Also, I did try opening it up as root but that didn't work either.

Further update;
    After getting home I now get
    Could not update ICEauthority file /home/rick/.ICEauthority

and I can't open a root shell in Mint recovery mode as it won't accept the root password.

Just burned a new live-cd, giving that a shot.

edit:
    Can't open /home from the live-cd either, so I'm pretty much assuming several files got corrupted soemhow and nautilus won't display them. Copying /home over to a usb drive. Crisis averted, although I do wish I had those 3 hours back. :D / :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Did you try an fsck?

Advertisement