Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PETSAFE BARK COLLAR

Options
  • 02-11-2009 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

PETSAFE BARK COLLAR: I BOUGHT A BARK COLLAR ON RECOMENDATION FROM MY LOCAL PET SHOP AS MY BICHEON IS A BIT OF A BARKER LATE AT NIGHT AND OUR NEIGHBOURS HAVE YOUNG CHILDREN. WE BOUGHT IT ONLY FOR WHEN HE GOES OUT TO THE TOILET LATE AT NIGHT SO HE DOESNT WAKE THE NEIGHBOURS. WE PUT IT ON HIM THE FIRST NIGHT FOR ONLY A FEW MINUTES AND THEN ON THE SECOND NIGHT FOR ABOUT AN HOUR BUT WHEN WE TOOK IT OFF THE DOG WAS MARKED ON HIS NECK (AFTER LITERALLY ONE HOUR) IT WASNT TOO TIGHT AS I WAS NERVOUS OF IT SO I MADE SURE IT WAS A COMFORTABLE FIT. THE NEXT MORNING HIS NECK LOOKED LIKE IT HAD BEEN BURNED IT WAS RED AND RAW AND SEPTIC. I BROUGHT HIM STRAIGHT TO THE VET WHO GAVE ME A CREAM AND TOLD ME IT WAS ACTUALLY A REACTION NOT A BURN WHICH WAS WHAT IT LOOKED LIKE. THE DOG WAS DEPRESSED FOR DAYS AFTER AND TOTALLY UNCOMFORTABLE. SO I PHONED THE COMPANY WHO MAKE THEM AND THEY TOLD ME THAT YES THEY HAD HEARD OF REACTIONS LIKE THIS HE THEN PROCEEDED TO SAY HAVE I NOT HEARD OF PEOPLE HAVING REACTIONS TO PRODUCTS IN A HAIRSALON?? I HAD TO LAUGH IF THAT HAPPENED TO A HUMAN THE SALON WOULD HAVE HAD SOME LAW SUIT ON HIS HANDS.I LOOKED IT UP AFTERWARDS ON THE INTERNET AND SAW THAT LOTS OF DOGS HAD THE SAME REACTIONS. SO PLEASE IF U EVER HEAR OF ANYBODY BUYING A BARK COLLAR TELL THEM NOT TO. IF THERE IS A CHANCE EVEN IF ITS ONE IN EVERY 10,000 DOGS WHO REACT IN THIS WAY ITS NOT WORTH IT.THE NAME IS A JOKE BECAUSE PET SAFE THEY ARENT!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Why are you shouting at me?

Also when people have a reaction in hair salons they usually end up being sued. Talk to ur solicitor and c if you have a case if you want to take things further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 stellabella

I know I work ina hairsalon thats why I had to laugh!! Im so angry my poor little dog, he's my little baby, I just hate the thought of it happening to someone elses dog :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

You're a great neighbour trying to not allow your dog wake the kids. If more owners took responsibility like that there would be fewer annoyed people living in estates around the country. Maybe there are some people here on the forum who could give tips on how to stop the dog barking without using one. It would be great if you could get him out of barking without having to buy another.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Have heard of the elec. shock collars giving some dogs a reaction when left on too long, sounds like a fault in the collar though I would deffo. take it further it sounds sore poor dog. Also if the collar is the Nylon type some dogs find it itchy but not so bad to cause a burn.

Bark collars are horrible things to use anyway, best thing to do is to stay out with the dog when the pooch needs to go for a pee/poop distract the dog when you think he's going to bark. Perhaps talk to a dog trainer that uses humane methods of training. It's a common problem although the neighbours have to understand that dogs do bark, they would have no right to complain about the odd bark coming from your garden, god knows kids can be loud during the day ..very loud.

As long as the dogs not left outside barking his little head off, once he's done his buisness bring him straight back in. An extra walk a day or an extra quick brisk walk in the evenings should help tire him out.

Not ideal but worst came to the worst wee wee training pads with tray in the house for night time pees.

It doesn't take a dog long to do their last pee/poo of the night so perhaps standing out there with the pooch is the best option and bring the dog straight back indoors. If there's the odd bark I wouldn't worry.

Some people teach their dog the bark command which in turn the dog learns to stop barking when told, this might work. A trainer will fill you in on the details.

There's dogs all around us they all bark setting each other off so noone can complain as we all have dogs but we plan to move to the town and am dreading some neighbours freaking out over our pooches because they will bark when the bin man comes etc. we have to try and buy a house in a dog friendly neighbourhood which might not be easy lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

I have a dog, and use the Petsafe collar and have had no problems with it at all.

Firstly you couldn't really sue.... to sue you'd have to prove that it's a defective product, but it's not, even I could vouch for that.

Different things affect different dogs differently, you just have to find out what works for yours.

Yes it might be a little bit cruel for the dog at the start, but I'll tell you one thing..they learn, then they don't bark, then they don't get a shock, then everyone's happy... simple !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

The Rook wrote: »
    I have a dog, and use the Petsafe collar and have had no problems with it at all.

Firstly you couldn't really sue.... to sue you'd have to prove that it's a defective product, but it's not, even I could vouch for that.

Different things affect different dogs differently, you just have to find out what works for yours.

Yes it might be a little bit cruel for the dog at the start, but I'll tell you one thing..they learn, then they don't bark, then they don't get a shock, then everyone's happy... simple !

Surely you dont leave it on your dog all the time !!!?
    And just cause your ones not defective doesnt mean her one isnt quality control isnt seen as big a issue with animal products as many people and pets have learned the hard way.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭personaltrainer

I use this collar as well and it is the best product i ever bought!! I own a beagle who doesn't bark but howls all day and all night!!! All she has to do is smell the collar and shes quiet!! It's on her for a few hours a day when shes tied up outside but otherwise shes learned that if she howls it goes straight back on!!!!:D

Maybe your beagle is howling for a reason. It might be better to combat that rather than scare it into being quiet?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Phenix

I use this collar as well and it is the best product i ever bought!! I own a beagle who doesn't bark but howls all day and all night!!! All she has to do is smell the collar and shes quiet!! It's on her for a few hours a day when shes tied up outside but otherwise shes learned that if she howls it goes straight back on!!!!:D

wow lucky dog!! she's either tied up lonely and miserable outside or being shocked.....
    I am strongly against any type of shock collars. OP fair play to you for trying to do the right thing by your neighbours but as someone else suggested, try a dog trainer instead. any training meathods involving hurting/scaring your dog are unfair on the animal, its in their nature to bark, so you need to teach them when to bark and when not to!

Personal trainer, I wont comment on your use of a collar, or how great you think it is. But I would ask you to see if you can secure your dog without tying her. Unfortunately accidents can happen and a dog can easily choke themselves if tied unsupervised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I own a beagle who doesn't bark but howls all day and all night!!!
    Beagles always howl, you would have found that one out on researching the breed.
    All she has to do is smell the collar and shes quiet!! It's on her for a few hours a day when shes tied up outside

Tying the dog for hours & a collar ...in any country with a proper animal protection law you could go to court for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Why own a dog if its going to be tied up all day with a collar around its neck that shocks it if its decides to make a sound or bark??:(

Dogs bark, its natural for them to, ok excessive barking isnt, but thats what dogs do.

hold on a minute now.....
    my beagle is tied up for a max of 3-5 hours per day, she is walked at least 4 miles + every day and when I am in the house she is in with me. So just to clarify my dog is far from miserable...
    NEXT...it is NOT a shock collar either when she barks it sprays a very light odourless liquid (Which is more than likely water, but it comes in special cans).
    NEXT... if i was to let her loose shes either be robbed as shes a purebred or be run over by a car...
    I do not leave her in the house as anyone with a beagle knows they like digging and sniffing and she is MUCH happier outside, and sometimes looks to be outside when I'm around!
    She is tied up beside a stable using one of the special dog extension lines which even I cannot get into a knot so she hasnt gotten tangled up.
    She has a full bowl of dog biscuits, and more toys and chew bones etc than any dog i'v seen, so she is far from miserable.

.....waits in anticipation for everyone to once again give out about the way a dog is treated, even thou they've never seen her or seen how she is when inside compaired to been tied up...:p

Who suggested you leave her loose? My point about her being tied still stands. Dogs can and do choke themselves. A run would be much safer.

I doubt the dog would be able to tie the rope in knots either way. But they can get snagged etc. Anyway, I was only trying to help. Risk it if you want.

Hold on, you said yourself "i use this collar too", so why all of a sudden is a different collar??

Secondly, why the need the tie the dog up, can you not build a run for her and keep her safe in there? Tying a dog up will not stop it from being stolen.

Just wondering why you changed your story from the first reply.

How did I change my story??????????:confused:

She would did herself out in seconds if we built her a run...

And how I tie up my dog etc has nothing to do with what the origial posted is talking about..its about the collar..

And just so you know and can stop telling me (or helping..thank you helena!) my dog is a purebred she is insured and she has a dog license. She has had a litter of pups each of which sold for 500+ euro. I compete her throughout the summer in both ireland and the uk so please dont tell me how to look after my dog!!
    :rolleyes::D

You said you had one of the shock collars, and then you say its not a shock its a spray one, thats what i meant about changing the story.

If you build a run and concrete or pave it they wont be able to dig their way out.

What has pups, the price of them and showing the dog got to do with the shock collar??

I own a rottweiler that is insured, has a licence and is an irish champion, but i dont need to tie him up or put shock/spray collars on him.:rolleyes:

I have heard of dogs hanging themselves on ropes and collars so id just be very wary of leaving any dog tied up when you are not around. I dont even leave a collar on my fella when im not there, my cousins dog hung itself on her garden fence before so im terrified something would happen so i would never take the risk.

Lots of people spend money on dogs. It doesn't mean they know what they are doing. I'm not saying you don't, but saying how expensive your dog is or how much you can sell pups for isn't proof of how well you treat her.

I only mentioned that they can choke themselves as I've seen it personally on 2 occasions. One of the dogs had been used to being tied all their life and still managed to get into trouble. Luckily she survived, as there was someone in the house at the time. But hey, if you want to take offence then go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Phenix

personaltrainer, you said yourself that your dog only has to see/sniff the collar and is imediatly quiet....this says to me weather is a shock or spray collar your dog is afraid of it and therefore should not be used.
    as another posted said, build a paved run instead of tying her up. The fact that you breed her and make generous money on her pups has nothing to do with this topic either. If you feel the collar you use is perfectly harmless, would you use it on her pups if they were making noise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

my two have a 40ft by 15ft enclosed area with two purpose built kennels, and a rain shelter of approx 8ft by 5ft and a floor covering of shingle/pebbles, they have fresh food and water every morning and eve and sleep in the kitchen, walked 2 miles in the morn, 4 miles in the eve, and get the back garden to play in after the walk. they bark as people go past, but then don't all dogs, that's what they do (they are fenced in by minimum 2 1/2 meter all round)

neither of my two are show dogs, not sure what they are as they came from the home, but i tell ya what - if i got €500 each for pups they would have a Jacuzzi installed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I use patio slabs for the dog run no chance of them digging out through that it's cheaper than concrete too. If the dog is by a stable surely it's the countryside or on your own land so it doesn't matter if she howls a bit so shouldn't even need the collar. Horses get used to that kind of noise many work alongside beagles (sadly) when fox hunting etc.

Don't understand what the price of the dogs pups has to do with how well the dogs are cared for.

As said, if the dog is afraid of something that's not the way to train a pooch. It's not fair on the dog at the end of the day just because it's easier on the owner doesn't make it fair to the dog.

Not disputing that anyone here doesn't care of look after their dog, but perhaps taking on some of the suggestions (like training using humane methods) might make the dogs like happier and may help deal with the bones of the barking issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

How did I change my story??????????:confused:

She would did herself out in seconds if we built her a run...

And how I tie up my dog etc has nothing to do with what the origial posted is talking about..its about the collar..

And just so you know and can stop telling me (or helping..thank you helena!) my dog is a purebred she is insured and she has a dog license. She has had a litter of pups each of which sold for 500+ euro. I compete her throughout the summer in both ireland and the uk so please dont tell me how to look after my dog!!
    :rolleyes::D

Ok so do the decent thing & use all the money you have made to build a big decent run with a wire mesh or concrete floor that she can't dig out of.

If you are going to make money from your dog then at least give her a safe environment.

The reason that people are telling you how to look after your dog is that many of us feel that you should not tie it up. Whatever price you sell pups for or where & when you compete has nothing to do with your ability to look after a dog.

If as you claim this dog matters to you why risk injury by tying her ?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Discodog wrote: »
    Whatever price you sell pups for or where & when you compete has nothing to do with your ability to look after a dog.

Exactly. Any idiot can put a male and a female dog into a pen together, doesn't mean you're a good dog owner.
    Puppy farms sell puppies for lots of money, does that automatically mean they are super brilliant amazing dog owners?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 john p

I use a petsafe bark collar my vet told me to get it, we tryed trainer it did not work, put it on when he needs to be quite, you have to be fair to your neighbours best product ever, my vet had previously put asleep hundreds of dogs because of barking issiues,That is what happens in real life thats one vet There 3000 in Ireland do the math,

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭meisha

i am shocked by you personaltrainer :( your poor dog..not only have you admitted you tie your dog up and put a shock collar on her but you breed from her too :mad: i cant believe that!!! do u leave the pups outside too? dog owners like you make me sick i feel really upset for your dog,that is not treating her right she deserves so much better!!

john p wrote: »
    I use a petsafe bark collar my vet told me to get it, we tryed trainer it did not work, put it on when he needs to be quite, you have to be fair to your neighbours best product ever, my vet had previously put asleep hundreds of dogs because of barking issiues,That is what happens in real life thats one vet There 3000 in Ireland do the math,

Any vet that put down a dog due to barking issues would be breaking his solemn Hippocratic oath. Out of interest I just checked with my vet who is a friend & she would refuse to destroy a dog because it barked. As she put it "barking is what dogs do !"

I would a) change vets asap b) report him

Putting down dogs because they bark???? now ive heard it all, how sad, poor doggies:(

Its a pity people dont invest time and patience into getting their dogs trained properly instead of getting them pts because they bark.
    Theres usually reasons that dogs bark excessively, so its up to a responsible owner to do the right thing by the dog and now have it pts because it cant be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭meisha

most of the time its boredom...do the right thing and keep the dog indoors!!! cant see a reason for getting a dog then leaving it outside tied up..how cruel!!!!!!

Exactly. The reason why so many dogs in Ireland bark is because they are outdoors. If I put my two out into the garden, of course they will eventually bark as they will hear another dog. When in the house I praise them if they bark as it means that they have heard something or someone. They are warning me & any potential intruder which is rather nice.

When I have been in England the place is so quiet at night. The dogs don't bark because they are indoors sharing life with the family. Why do you need to keep a dog outside ?. Think of all that wonderful interaction that you miss out on - I am typing this with a greyhound asleep on my lap sshhhh !.

Poor dogs, kept outside in the cold & wet, no company & a nice electric shock when they bark - the dog might even be barking to protect you !. Your dog gives you absolute loyalty & affection surely it deserves a little in return ?.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately Discodog, we are a nation of dog owners and not dog lovers.

Yes there are a small minority of people like ourselves that treat dogs as part of the family, but we seem to be the minority, so the rest of the doggies suffer.

Like you, i dont understand why people get dogs and leave them outside and walk them here and there when they feel like it, and then give them back, get rid or pts because they do what normal dogs do, or because the dog is bored (due to the owners) and when they start becoming destructive they decide to take the easy option and dispose of the dog, so sad:(:(

Advertisement