Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A different approach (mouldy boots)

• 02-11-2009 6:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭

Folks,

This might be of interest or might not, lets see.
    I have a pair of old boots that have gone half way round the world with me. For the past six months I have been unable to find them until the other night when I came across them all mouldy. So I decided to throw them out. But over the past few days, I have decided that before they go, I'd like to photograph them as we have been through so much together and they hold centimental value.

The atached photo, is the boots taken just now on the kitchen floor. As a beginner, I thought it might be useful / interesting to post here looking for ideas as to how I might take a great shot of these boots / setup / lighting / composition / whathaveyou. So, here they are. any suggestions as to how I might photograph them ?

attachment.php?attachmentid=95100&stc=1&d=1257184674

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

An ironic approach like below :D
    400_F_14894461_8jO39cHH3jKCoxtGYxFaEsVkwzHy7ZH5.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

ke ke ke ke ke :D:D

but seriously......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

How about placing on top of a pile of Autumn leaves. The colours should work well together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Oo I'd be for doing a stop motion jobbie on them. Bring them on one last little journey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

I was thinking stop motion too!

Also, another idea, how about photographing them beside prestine clothes? Like a tuxedo, sophisticated dress, or similar.

• Advertisement

wow, great to see great replies especially as Im a beginner (this thread could be very helpful to me and others)

Can I ask, what do you mean by stop motion ? I know that in general, stop motion means freezing time with a fast shutter speed, but in the case of the boots, they are just sitting there, they are not moving.....
    Are you talking about throwing / dropping them ?

good example here on wiki

Basically move the boots little by little and take a photo of each increment. Then put them together like a movie.

KarmaGarda wrote: »
    Basically move the boots little by little and take a photo of each increment. Then put them together like a movie.

ah you mean I end up with an animation, gotcha ya now. Unfortunately not what I had in mind. I am very much hoping to learn a bit about still photography, setup, composition and creatiuve ideas / inspiration etc. (but a big thank you for the response)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Receate this

van-gogh-shoes2.jpg

Actually looks like you have!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

^^^^^^^^ resize it plz its HUGE !!

so your not using them anymore ? Well ya could do the stop motion thing, but have the boots walking into fire/or set em on fire !

Well, you could go all out, hire a model and a studio and do a proper studio shot with the model wearing nice clothes and a pair of mouldy boots. Or better again, naked apart from a pair of mouldy boots.

Well, you could go all out, hire a model and a studio and do a proper studio shot with the model wearing nice clothes and a pair of mouldy boots. Or better again, naked apart from a pair of mouldy boots.

guys,
    I have just started into photography, I'm a student living in rented accomodation, can we leave the word "hire" out of this please ;)

dnme wrote: »
    guys,
    I have just started into photography, I'm a student living in rented accomodation, can we leave the word "hire" out of this please ;)

:D no worries! How about AnCatDubh poses nude for free then? I'm sure he'd love to :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

KarmaGarda: Or better again, naked apart from a pair of mouldy boots.
    guys,

Hey post it on the right site and you could get a big hairy builder over to ya ! If your into that sort of thing :P :P :P :P :P

One idea I have has is to bring them to an old derelect house, hang em near a window and try and get an atmospheric soft half lit pic. What would you think?

That could work. What sort of camera/lens/setup have you? Or do you have a point and shoot/bridge camera?

That could work. What sort of camera/lens/setup have you? Or do you have a point and shoot/bridge camera?

I have just spent my first years savings on a 50D with 17-85 kit lens. I also splashed out for a 430EXII and have a reflector board ordered off ebay. Lens not great aparently but as I say, I'm just starting and it will be a while before I save up enough to start buyng my first glass.

Wow, well you've got the gear for something quite good. For me it depends on the shot you want though. I'd start by googling Strobist and also Flash photography in general. See if there's something in that which you would like to learn, and then apply it.

For a rustic shot I might have been more inclined to use very little flash (if any), instead go for a very high ISO, get a noisy photo in a run down house, and see where that brings you. But that's just me! Everyone has their own style.

Anyway, as I said read up about strobist and flash photography first, then decide how you'd like to attack it.

Many thanks Karma,

I have actually done a lot of reading and a fair bit on flash. Also youtube is an incredible source for beginners (of any subject), actually while I'm banging on, heres a serious recommendation for learners

http://digital-photography-school.com
    and in particular their forum
    http://digital-photography-school.com/forum/

It is a wonderful resource for learning (by far the best I have come across), the forum has sections such as "How I shot it" etc

Anyway back to your comments, the no flash / high iso sounds really interesting, also the only reason I mentioned the flash and reflector was to explain that I have quite a bit of leeway in terms of options here with this project.

This thread is becoming very useful, hopefully it will end up with a few different attempts and results.

Learning is half the fun

• Advertisement

Well, you've probably done most of your homework so! My advice is rather than getting stuck on the thought "I want to take a photo", instead try thinking what you want the photo to say. And how can you say it. To me it sounds like you may already have some idea of what you want the photo to say. So think about things like:

- A dirty/old/noisy feel by using an iso of 800+
    - B&W or sepia.
    - Clever flash positioning to either reduce or create lots of shadows to draw the viewer into the photo.
    - Silhouette of the boots or something like that.

Patience is the key. If you're not spending more time thinking about and setting up the photo then you're rushing it :D.

I have never done any Post production whatsoever, thats a whole other area that I will have to start learning.

Anyway, back to topic...

We have idea #1, boots in a derelect house. (Alol I have to do now is find a derelect house :D)

Any other suggestions ?

Hmmm.. to be honest unless you're Van Gogh you're really gonna have to think a lot about creativity to get this to be anything other than a-shot-of-old-shoes. You could have the best kit in the world and still not get anything (although that goes for any subject really). My best suggestion would be to think about why *you* were drawn to shoot the boots in the first place. They obviously mean a bit to you on an emotional level, or have some significance or specific memories. Then you need to figure out what you want to try to capture that. And to be honest I'm not sure we can help you with that - it needs to be from you - your vision (without trying to sound poncey). Still life's difficult for that reason. It can all too easily end up as a series of studies of a subject, with no real soul.

Maybe if you think about/tell us what you want to capture about them?

Hi Sinead,

Yea they have a sorta centimental signifigance and have been half way round the world with me. They ar enow beyond use so I am throwing them out, but before I do, I thought it might be a fun thread / project to throw open here.

I am a beginner and sometimes have trouble understanding how a photo was composed, why its good as opposed to bad or visa versa, how it was setup, why it was setup etc. So, I thought to myself, well what about an exercise where we expose these learner difficulties from the beginning, and come up with suggestions from people as to how I might go about shoting them.

I can put the boots on the floor and shoot them, (see above) and the result is a cold practical lifeless meaningless inventory shot. but why?

How do I change that ?
    How do I add warmth ?
    How do I add age ?
    How do I add decay ?
    How do I add sentimentality ?
    Is it possible to communicate their story ?

and then technically . . . . .
    How do I use light ?
    How do I shoot them
    Where do I shoot them?

I often look at others photos with similar questions. This is my first attempt at anything like this.

Hi Sinead,

I can put the boots on the floor and shoot them, (see above) and the result is a cold practical lifeless meaningless inventory shot. but why?
    How do I change that ?
    How do I add warmth ?
    How do I add age ?
    How do I add decay ?
    How do I add sentimentality ?
    Is it possible to communicate their story ?

Now ye're talking :)

Think about the tone for a start:

Should they be black and white?
    Shuld they have a lot of blue tones? Red tones?
    What sense of emotion do you want to portray?

Should they be small and isolated in the frame? Or should they fill it? Do you want to shoot them from a height (weak emotionally) or close and from below (suggests strength).

Do you want to have all detail in focus? - suggests a wider, brighter shot
    Or do you want to pick out teensy details and bring them to the fore - suggests a macro with a much shallower DoF in possibly less light.

Do you want to isolate the subject with them in brightness and the background not so important? Or place it in context in a wider 'environmental' shot, where the background is integral?

Keep thinking :) Can't really guide you with this - what do you see??

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Anyway, back to topic...

We have idea #1, boots in a derelect house. (Alol I have to do now is find a derelect house :D)

Any other suggestions ?

Click on one of the links in some of the sigs areound here - mine is pix.ie others have flickr.

Use the search facility and type in "boots". There are loads of photos of boots and you'll be able to draw some inspriation from other peoples work.

A quick look on pix.ie shows a few nice examples on the first page.

God I'd love to study photography formally

God I'd love to study photography formally

Doesn't have to be 'formal' :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭chevron

Love the idea of this tread. very helpful and informative.

an other idea you could do with them in the old house is have them partially standing against a window (heel on window sill and toe part on glass( maybe some rains/water drops on the glass?). one at up to 30 degree angle and the other 45 degree angle ..as if they are looking out longing to be traveling again and the outside would be full of autumn colored trees and leaves on the ground.

Just a thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Couple of other ideas based on the fact that you want to convey the many journeys undertaken:

Create and image where you shoot through a hole in the shoes which reveals a landscape image - Shoes could be out of focus in the shot.

Take them to a beach , create some footprints in the sand and place the shoes at end of footprints walking into the horizon, to symbolise the journeys?

Anyway those are off the top of me head but there is loads of scope here .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I do like the Macro idea as there is a lot of texture that would look good with a low DOF to isolate it. Maybe the companion boot off in the background.

You could also take them out around to various Shoe Shops & place them in line with the nice new boots or other footwear & look for various compositions around that. You would have to think first & be ready as I doubt the staff would want them on display too long.

What's actually wrong with them, other than a bit of mould? When I was a Student they would have been considered quite good. Shoes only were replaced when the holes were large enough to wear out socks.

CabanSail wrote: »
    What's actually wrong with them, other than a bit of mould? When I was a Student they would have been considered quite good. Shoes only were replaced when the holes were large enough to wear out socks.

Would you like them ? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

Reminds me of a shot I took!
    I hope I'm allowed to post links?
    http://adriatic22.deviantart.com/art/Old-Boots-139098278
    same on flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/adriatic22/4018282732/
    Any inspiration?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Would you like them ? :D

They look too small for me & my student days are well behind me, but thanks for the offer! ;)

ah I dunno, they're size 12's :P
    Trust me CabanSail, if you saw the inside of these boots, you would never want to put a foot in them again. They're pretty bad.

• Advertisement

It seems that I cant find a suitable delerect house anywhere. So option #2 is to go to a beach and do what someone suggested earlier.

Perhaps a trail of foot/boot prints either going into or out of the water and maybe a DOF shot with th eboots in focus and the trail / sea slightly blurred in the background. Do you think this could work ?

It seems that I cant find a suitable delerect house anywhere. So option #2 is to go to a beach and do what someone suggested earlier.

Perhaps a trail of foot/boot prints either going into or out of the water and maybe a DOF shot with th eboots in focus and the trail / sea slightly blurred in the background. Do you think this could work ?

I say go for it. Sounds like it could work.

I gave the boots their first and last outing today. I was in Donegal for the weekend so I had an opportunity to stop off at Murvagh beach this morning and later found an old derelect house heading through Co. Galway.

I tried the boots in verious positions and poses but found this really difficult. I took a lot of photos and imo the beach just does not work. I am showing you just a sample of what I consider to be the best but what do I know. The derelect house seemed to work much better but it was hard to meter in the contrast of dark rooms and sun rays. I am posting a few here and I's really love to know what you think and any suggestions as to how I might improve them.

attachment.php?attachmentid=95585&stc=1&d=1257701438

attachment.php?attachmentid=95586&stc=1&d=1257701470

attachment.php?attachmentid=95587&stc=1&d=1257701471

attachment.php?attachmentid=95588&stc=1&d=1257701503

attachment.php?attachmentid=95589&stc=1&d=1257701511

2 or 3 more to follow . . .

attachment.php?attachmentid=95590&stc=1&d=1257701696

attachment.php?attachmentid=95591&stc=1&d=1257701707

attachment.php?attachmentid=95594&stc=1&d=1257702058

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

You could try burying the boots in the sand slightly, apart from additional textures of the sand it might look like someone is buried there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Snap Happy

I prefer the position of the boots in number 3.
    Like it was disgarded and fell over. A little less posed.

Number one looks like to left them there and walked out in to the water never to return.

I like number 6 & the colour in number 7 not pushed about number 8 (But like it croped number 2 I think)

A good idea here the Assignments - 3 very different photo's with the something the same in it. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055661119

Or also a game - Someone picks a small prop, people sign up to join a list. the prop gets sent around the list with everyone taking a photo of it and posting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Just fill them with soil and make nice couple of flower pots from them. And take the picture in the spring with flowers in full blossom ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭salamanca

Snap Happy wrote: »
    I prefer the position of the boots in number 3.
    Like it was disgarded and fell over. A little less posed.

Number one looks like to left them there and walked out in to the water never to return.

I like number 6 & the colour in number 7 not pushed about number 8 (But like it croped number 2 I think)

A good idea here the Assignments - 3 very different photo's with the something the same in it. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055661119

Or also a game - Someone picks a small prop, people sign up to join a list. the prop gets sent around the list with everyone taking a photo of it and posting it.

Perhaps a composition with this song for the current challenge http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRkovnss7sg ?

I should point that I left the boots in the derelect house by the fire place, just seemed fitting somehow and if I ever drive past it again I'll think of the connection.

I have done a little bit of proecesing on one or two of the images in an old copy of paint shop pro. Just tried to rescue some of the blowouts and de-flatten slightly.

attachment.php?attachmentid=95620&stc=1&d=1257722620

attachment.php?attachmentid=95622&stc=1&d=1257722690

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

I'd like to see #2 in b/w maybe cropped bit. like this maybe?
    95625.jpg
    95626.jpg

DanGerMus wrote: »
    I'd like to see #2 in b/w maybe cropped bit. like this maybe?

That definately works, many thanks.

I'll tell you what, the simple act of taking an object, placing it for a photo and shootig it is not easy. Personally I am unhappy with all the photos I took but its a great learning exercise.

Advertisement