Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recently got Upgrade from 3, now want to switch to Meteor?

• 02-11-2009 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

Is this possible, about two months ago got an upgrade from three after my contract with them expired, but now Meteor have the HTC Hero i want to switch to the connect 18month contract at 20euro a month with the added unlimited internet add on at 14.99 a month. Seems a good deal to me.

Can i switch easily enough? What will this involve? Will i be penalised financially in anyway by 3 for switching?

What price would i get on the HTC Hero if i did this?

Also anyone know if the Meteor coverage in Letterkenny better than 3?

Was also hoping to keep my same number.

Thanks in advance guys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭GeneticDeviant

This post has been deleted.

they have it vailiable on bill pay now since the 1st november.

I got a free handset from 3 when i upgraded, is there anyway of cancelling this contract when i switch by saying i'm unhappy with the handset / coverage or something like that so that i do not have to pay for the remaining months on the contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I got a free handset from 3 when i upgraded, is there anyway of cancelling this contract when i switch by saying i'm unhappy with the handset / coverage or something like that so that i do not have to pay for the remaining months on the contract?

Not after 2 months in ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭GeneticDeviant

well they still keep sending me letters saying im still due for an upgrade so hopefully they've cocked up and forgot they gave me an upgrade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

they have it vailiable on bill pay now since the 1st november.

In a word no. If you report any problems you must give them the opportunity to rectify it. You agreed to the phone so your stuck with it, as for coverage, they will be able to see your usage and tell if there are issues with your phone connecting to their network, if you are getting normal usage from your phone then they will know coverage is not a problem and again they will require you give them an opportunity to rectify any problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

well they still keep sending me letters saying im still due for an upgrade so hopefully they've cocked up and forgot they gave me an upgrade

Well if that is the case, you could give 30 days notice and close the account without penalty but i would be quite surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,248 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Also anyone know if the Meteor coverage in Letterkenny better than 3?

I very much doubt it, 3 have 99.7% Talk and Text coverage versus 97% on Meteor, I don't know the stats for Meteor 3G versus 3 3G but 3 are about 4 years ahead of them.
    Letterkenny has no 3G, I don't think it even has edge, Meteor use vodafones GPRS network there so the interet would be pretty poor on your phone.
    Coverage wise your better off with what you have.

Gettting out of the contract would be tricky, you can't use a coverage issue at this stage. They will seek an early termination fee, i.e the cost of your remaining contract.

Meteors new plans are good, but 3 hopefully will come out with something to top them after christmas and you should then be able to switch to the new price plans then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I very much doubt it, 3 have 99.7% Talk and Text coverage versus 97% on Meteor, I don't know the stats for Meteor 3G versus 3 3G but 3 are about 4 years ahead of them.
    Letterkenny has no 3G, I don't think it even has edge, Meteor use vodafones GPRS network there so the interet would be pretty poor on your phone.
    Coverage wise your better off with what you have.

You are incorrect. Three's coverage in Letterkenny is patchy (for data only) depending on where you are because of the hilly disposition. They have to rely on Vodafone a lot for fallback. Having said that, they aren't the only one as O2 suffer the same fate. Meteors coverage is quite good as Edge takes over where 3G is patchy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,248 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You are incorrect. Three's coverage in Letterkenny is patchy (for data only) depending on where you are because of the hilly disposition. They have to rely on Vodafone a lot for fallback. Having said that, they aren't the only one as O2 suffer the same fate. Meteors coverage is quite good as Edge takes over where 3G is patchy.

Coverage maps don't agree with you..

3's Coverge, Light Blue is 3G Coverage indoors.

20091103-ny7ersw1kasrhuas8ixnt5q7t.jpg

The Little Light orange bit beside letterkenny is the extent of Meteors 3G coverage. The white bit is no coverage at all.

20091103-p6rue28h7bfrxb5dt9d2qfq6ma.jpg

Advertisement