Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tekken 6 - What is the point of the 10-hit combos if they can be blocked mid-combo?

• 02-11-2009 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

I just don't get this bit at all. I know its possible to juggle with them but you still don't get to connect all 10 hits so isn't the whole idea of combos is that once they start up, the other guy is basically screwed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Well, a lot of combos are spacing-dependant, it could be that you're starting it too far away and the pushback makes it blockable? Not sure on Tekken in general but seems like that could happen (or you're missing the combo timing at some point)

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Maybe a distance thing but timing is fine as I can connect all hits fine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I remember back in the Tekken 2 and 3 days that once you start playing to a competent level the 10 hit combos become obsolete because they can easliy be broken out of by a decent opponent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Leprekaun wrote: »
    I just don't get this bit at all. I know its possible to juggle with them but you still don't get to connect all 10 hits so isn't the whole idea of combos is that once they start up, the other guy is basically screwed?

You can juggle with them, but like you said, all ten don't connect. Why is the real question : Scaling isn't worth it, totally impracticle, and just pointless in general. Each character has his/her own juggles, and some to be used at certain times (breakabke floor, wall splat etc). Juggles are mainly about deciding what moves output most damage, set up certain oki situations, bound/don't bound etc. I guess the 10 hit combos are just a little something for fun.

One should focus on other things but using these ten hit combos, whether it be in or outside of juggles. There's loads of other stuff which is 100 times better, maybe even easier, and more worthwhile. Experiment! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

To be fair, Tekken has never had that firm a grasp on what exactly constitutes a combo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I don't really use them, back in Tekken 2/3 you could kinda remember the block patterns for most of them so they became useless...

Now with all the new characters, if someone connects with the first hit with Lars for example I'd be screwed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The point of 10-hit combos is: easy throw for your opponent! :D

Tekken 101: Don't use 10-hit "combos" (more accurately, strings) - 99% of them suck.
    Instead, learn your character's fastest/furthest-reaching punishers and launchers, then practice some simple Bound combos.
    After that comes learning your wall game.
    And always, practice your pokes & circular moves.
    Oh, and movement, too. There are a few "step" tricks to learn.

If you've got the game, I (or someone with more knowledge) can show you on Sat.

Show me? Ooh! Its on Kiki! ITS ON!!! :)

I only found after practicing a bit yesterday, the step moves are easy to pull off so they shouldn't be a problem. I'm finding it difficult to use to time the launch uppercut (Heihachi)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭batman_oh

They are a beginner thing, as said totally pointless besides maybe a random surprise factor with the new characters. Juggles, spacing, punishing and poking are where its at :p

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    The point of 10-hit combos is: easy throw for your opponent! :D

Tekken 101: Don't use 10-hit "combos" (more accurately, strings) - 99% of them suck.
    Instead, learn your character's fastest/furthest-reaching punishers and launchers, then practice some simple Bound combos.
    After that comes learning your wall game.
    And always, practice your pokes & circular moves.
    Oh, and movement, too. There are a few "step" tricks to learn.

If you've got the game, I (or someone with more knowledge) can show you on Sat.

Yup, what I was saying/trying to say :P

No need for those 10 hit pieces of ****, ignore them. Learn what's practical/not practical, what appeals to you. Obv. your oki game is important, wall setups/game/pressure etc. Movement is key too, SScancelling, wavedashing (if it applies), iWR etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭RedDragonJack

I think they're more of a legacy move than anything else(from t2). Like jumping 2 and 4. If you follow the series you'll see they haven't added any new ten hits since 3(except for the new characters). I think they just leave them to please the fans.

Thats just stupid. True enough they can take around 110-120 damage points but if they wanted to leave them in, couldn't they just allow them to connect and reduce the damage? Its just a shame because they look brilliant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Call us on Tekken dial-a-combo:
    1-800-X X triangle square O triangle O square X triangle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

10 hit combos can be good to throw people off and really pulverize them healthwise if they haven't a clue as to what to expect. My favourite character is Lee Chaolan and he only has the one 10 hit combo, but it's pretty impressive to pull off and alternates between low and high hits which can really deal some damage.

How to deal with 10-strings:
    crouching punch. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Shotopunx

Just learn good juggles and bounces.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Call us on Tekken dial-a-combo:
    1-800-X X triangle square O triangle O square X triangle.

I gave them a call but got wrong number, they said they design Sakura costumes.

Oh and they said they want their costume back :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

crouching punch. :rolleyes:

You can't pull off a crouching punch if you're being juggled to good bejaysus!

You can't pull off a crouching punch if you're being juggled to good bejaysus!
    But 10-hit strings AREN'T combos, so my point still stands. :D

They're not completely useless really, they just can't be used unless you're using them to juggle.

• Advertisement

Or... (in my case :P)

EWGF ----> Rape

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭RedDragonJack

10 hit combos can be good to throw people off and really pulverize them healthwise if they haven't a clue as to what to expect. My favourite character is Lee Chaolan and he only has the one 10 hit combo, but it's pretty impressive to pull off and alternates between low and high hits which can really deal some damage.

Trust me Lee's 10 hit is the most obvious in the game, just wait for the first low and you lost half your health.

I've been practicing a bit and found that like you said kiki, juggles is the way to go.

Advertisement