Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marybourogh house to the city

Options
  • 02-11-2009 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭

Hi
    I am going to the city for a shopping break in December but I am considering staying in Marybourough House hotel. Will I be able to get a bus in and out to the city easily? Also if we felt like going to the bars in Douglas would it be walking distance or would we need to take a taxi. Would I be better off in the centre for night life. We are not looking for a nightclub or anything just a few pubs for the saturday night.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It's about a 5 minute walk to Douglas although it's also about a 5 minute walk to get out of the ground as well.

The Carrigaline bus passes Maryborough Hill on varying times and again it's the same walk to get a bus from Douglas as it is hit the pubs there. The pubs in Douglas are a bit on the mature side (depending on your age obviously), but there's a good choice there.

Taxi from the city center should cost about €10- €13, I live on Maryborough Hill and taxis tend to fall withing that price range.

I'd recommend staying in the City you can shop in the city and hop on a bus to Mahon Point easier also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

The Maryborough House is a lovely hotel though. As razorblunt says it's on a regular bus route so if you don't mind getting a bus it will be a great place to stay. If you don't want to get buses or taxis stay in the city centre.

I don't know where you live but I would consider the trip equivalent to getting from Dublin city centre to the RDS.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

It is on a bit of a hill too if you were to walk wouldnt be the easiest in heels.. If you were looking for somewhere around the same you could try the Clarion on the boardwalk, The Imperial on the South Mall or Issacs perhaps...Id say the prices are a bit you could get cheaper id say

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Oh just thought there and I always forget the East Village Bar has accomadation too, it is in Douglas. There are buses running all the time straight into town and the bus stop is not too far from the East Village

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Also the 16 goes down that Hill every half an hour or so. I just moved to the area so I'm trying to get used to the bus service.

From what I can see, if you want to be in town before 9am you have to be at the bus stop for 8.20am :eek:
    Can anyone confirm this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Bill-e wrote: »
    Also the 16 goes down that Hill every half an hour or so. I just moved to the area so I'm trying to get used to the bus service.

From what I can see, if you want to be in town before 9am you have to be at the bus stop for 8.20am :eek:
    Can anyone confirm this?

Forgot about that bus, I'd say 8.20am wouldnt guarantee you to get in for 9, when I was driving or getting the bus I left home at 8.05 at the latest and thats from the top of the hill by the flyover.

The Kingsley Hotel, Jurys Inn (both) or Lancaster Lodge might be better shouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

razorblunt wrote: »
    Forgot about that bus, I'd say 8.20am wouldnt guarantee you to get in for 9, when I was driving or getting the bus I left home at 8.05 at the latest and thats from the top of the hill by the flyover.

I cant get up b4 8am. It's just not in me :pac:

I got the 222 on the hill today at 9.35 and it got me in for 9.05. The 16 drove by me again at about 8.25. Today's traffic was the worst in ages so I'd say the 222 would normally get me in just before 9. I'm allowed to be a little late cause I'm ridiculous at time keeping. I told them that in the interview. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

coleen wrote: »
    Hi
    I am going to the city for a shopping break in December but I am considering staying in Marybourough House hotel. Will I be able to get a bus in and out to the city easily? Also if we felt like going to the bars in Douglas would it be walking distance or would we need to take a taxi. Would I be better off in the centre for night life. We are not looking for a nightclub or anything just a few pubs for the saturday night.

Stay in the city centre and if you want to go to Douglas drinking/eating then you can get the bus there and a taxi back to town when your done. I would not advise you to stay in Marybourough if you are doing your Christmas shopping in the city, also if you want to go drinking/eating in Douglas its a fair walk to and from Douglas from the Marybourough..

Advertisement