Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd v CSKA Moscow

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Shaneomac

Johner wrote: »
    Uniteds luck will run out Sunday. ;)

Laughable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

ah good, we could do with some of those chances going in against Chelsea. Maybe even get a penalty when a player is fouled in the box, can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

ntlbell wrote: »
    when the red card was shown?

no i think it was in the build up the the third goal. think thats what they were arguin about after when they both go booked at the end but he gave him a good hoof in the leg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Obertan looked tres dangereux when he came on.
    How he was'nt sent off for lashing out i'll never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

Macheda is some player, I really hope Fergie plays him more this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Obertan looked very dangerous. He played a couple of lovely balls too.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of him.

Bandit12 wrote: »
    How he was'nt sent off for lashing out i'll never know.

United clearly bought the ref :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

what a finish !!! go on Utd . Fletcher must think he's jinxed in europe clear peno and then to get booked :confused:
    so many chances (21 shots on goal 13 on target) for Utd though but gotta hand it to CSKA hit us on the break and the finishing was very good despite the awful defending.thought fabio had a poor game.

started the game and the first 60 min with practically the carling cup team so all in all not too bad but we needed rooney and evra to come on otherwise CSKA would have been been going home with 3 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Well done to United, the same old it's not over until the fat lady bows the whistle, well deserved for that 2nd half display.

I do think some people are getting a little too excited about Obertan though, he hasn't looked how some have described, but i suppose you's are comparing it to what Nani has done :D

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    no i think it was in the build up the the third goal. think thats what they were arguin about after when they both go booked at the end but he gave him a good hoof in the leg

think it was after that, when utd were appealing for a 'peno' that wasn't when the guy on the ground got hit with the ball.

He kicked someone hard in the back of the legs when no-one was watching, the guy went down and evra tried to drag him up. It was a really dirty one, would say they'll go back to it and give him a ban.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

when will the nonsense on this forum stop.

Look in the mirror buddy and this coming from a non liverpool fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Missed most of the second half, had to run into town. Must get the highlights. United created enough chances to easily win the game even at 3 1 down they didn't look out of it. Defence was shocking though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

jank wrote: »

when will the nonsense on this forum stop.[/QUOTE]

Look in the mirror buddy and this coming from a non liverpool fan

cutting. :cool:

looking at Krasic's goal, Brown could've easily stopped it if he didn't just stand there with his hand up, just not good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Great comeback, and Obie Trice looks very positive. Can't wait to see him again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

if they kicked out cascarino of tv3 analysis, it might not be so cringeworthy

Special praise for Neville tonight, thought he was superb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

nuxxx wrote: »

yea, HE's the problem

not matt bloody copper ;)

nuxxx wrote: »

The presenter wrecks my head. Don't think he ever heard of Macheda before tonight, both times he referenced him he called him 'the young lad' and 'the rookie'.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

Liam O wrote: »

his crossing was very good most of our chances in the 2nd half came from him on the right playing in good balls.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yeah he was brilliant going forward, and he always has been.

A match fit Neville would be my first choice at RB, only drawback is he makes some stupid tackles sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Seems like I missed a decent second half :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Headshot wrote: »
    ****ing hell

valenica is awful

Thats an understatement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Vanbis wrote: »
    Thats an overstatement.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Quandary

draw was a fair result, we looked awfully shaky at the back though.
    Obertan looks so comfortable on the ball & the weighting of his passes is spot on. I can see him featuring more and more for us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

were robbed of two peno's hit the bar and scored 3 goals

ran over the team for the last 25 minutes

created endless chances.

real shocker.

when will the nonsense on this forum stop.

oh the ironing is delicious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Dave! wrote: »
    Great comeback, and Obie Trice looks very positive. Can't wait to see him again.

That is my new name for him. :D
    Anyone see Agueros goals tonight. :O

Only got the second half of the match. Happy to be through. A draw next week to top the group and Ill be very happy. :D

event wrote: »
    oh the ironing is delicious

the fact that you like to eat clothes isn't really relevant here :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

+1 on that. By no means anything near his best performance for United but he tried so hard all night. He looked jaded towards the end but kept getting forward and trying to get United back into the game.

The Champions League group stages have come to bore me. Particularly United games. We always just do enough. So my interest was heightened when I saw our team. I was expecting a gung ho, enthusiastic performance from United. It was anything but that until we introduced Rooney and Evra.

Apart from the overall poor performance, the main talking points for me were:

- Owens sharpness. Admittedly he hasnt played much but it was alarming how bad his touch was.

- Valencia's complete lack of a left foot! Every time the ball comes to him his body is shaped around his right foot. He also seems to lack any skill to get out of a tight situation. It seems to be a case if he gets the run on defender he will cause problems but stop him dead and he is containable. I worry about him against an above average defender.

- Obertan. He has grown in confidence in each of the games I have seen him. I still havent seen more than hour of him but it is promising and I cant wait to see more of him.

- Shaky defence. Evans had a decent game but collectively him and Brown were all over the place. We need one of Rio or Vidic back for the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

the fact that you like to eat clothes isn't really relevant here :p

Simpsons reference, you missed it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Dave! wrote: »

:)

I like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

lol what luck did they get tonight? Post, keeper playing a blinder, ref getting in the way of alot of balls.....oh and a small matter of a complete bollox of a peno decision!

Man Utd XI 3-3 CSKA Moscow and Ref

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Trilla wrote: »
    lol what luck did they get tonight? Post, keeper playing a blinder, ref getting in the way of alot of balls.....oh and a small matter of a complete bollox of a peno decision!

Man Utd XI 3-3 CSKA Moscow and Ref

I didnt watch the game. It was a joke hence the ;) All I saw was Uniteds 3rd goal which was very lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

As i have already said in another thread

We were far from bloody lucky tonight and any accusations otherwise are total bollox tbh

Tonight was very poor from a defensive point of view unfortunately, i didnt think VDS did particularly well for a couple of the goals but im willing to let it slide as he can hopefully have gotten it out of his system

Fabio is still quite suspect defensively, this will be sorted out with game time however i feel and further work in training

Evans was pretty solid, Brown was disappointing on a few occasions, hopefully this is not going to be a regular thing

Neville, ah i love Gary Neville! even when he was about to drop dead from exhaustion he was driving forward!

Scholes didnt have his best game, even some of his passing was off, but he finished the game strongly, same can be said for Flecth and how he ends up with a booking and no peno only the ref knows

Nani, he is trying his best, and he has all the technical attributes to be a great player but i dont think he will be at the club much longer unless he really pushes on soon, he seems to just have poor footballing intelligence

Valencia was quite frustrating for most of the night, and i am beginning to wonder wether he is having a bet with someone that he can go the whole season without touching the ball with his left foot! he is still settling in though and overall i am happy enough with him thus far this season

Owen is not sharp or pacey anymore, and doesnt conrtibute a whole lot but as long as he keeps putting his chances away (eventually) i am happy to have him as an impact sub/occasional starter

Macheda, he is another one who will get better over time, had a pretty good game and hopefully he will kick on with his performances, i have always been of the opinion that Wellbeck has the better chance of a long term future with the club and this hasnt changed.....yet

Rooney, for me he honestly wasnt that impressive but his presence on the field lifted the rest of the lads and thats good enough for me. plus he has just had a child so i dont expect him to be on fire tonight, hopefully for Sunday though!

Evra made a difference when he came on and he gave his usual very good account of himself....thought his form was beginning to dip, but maybe i was wrong

Obertan, most impressive he has been for us, looked much more confident on the ball tonight and i have hopes that he will really push on and since he is happy to take people on and try things i hope he will have an impact on the season and give us a trickier option on the wings with end product!

All in all, it was an entertaining game, we defended awfully for the goals, but we still should have won the game and im just happy to be qualified now so that there wont be any need to rick anybody carrying knocks and hopefully it will mean more european game time for the likes of Obertan/Macheda etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

^^^^
    like above

Was impressed with Obertan tonight ,made an impact when he came on , Like his direct and attacking play , himself and Evra seem to jelled and played some nice overlapping play , something I like so see more off over a few games , like to see want may develop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Yeah like most people was impressed by Obertan and cant wait to see him when he has target men in the box, his crossing seems very precise.

Owen although he missed chances, seemed to eager to impress and rushed a few times when normally he is so composed. I bet with more game time he gets more chances and puts more away. After all last night was his first 90 minutes of the season so the game time will do him good.

How the ref thought that was a dive from Fletcher I don't know, pure scandal and hopefully we don't get many more decisions like that this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Newsflash: Owen has always missed chances. All strikers do. Wouldn't worry about it, thought he took his goal brilliantly.

All the goals came from on the left last night, Fabio had a bad game, Can't remember Neville, Brown, Evans putting a foot wrong TBH.

Hope the ref gets repremanded over the Fletcher incident, shocking decision.

All in all it was a good night, qualified with 2 games in hand, and for all the failings in the match it was cracking fair to watch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I think Owen deserves some credit. He has great movement, has already scored some very important goals and he very rarely gives the ball away. They showed some clips of him in the highlights last night and he actually contributed a lot!

Considering last night was his first full game, I think he's done brilliantly.

Boggles wrote: »
    Newsflash: Owen has always missed chances. All strikers do. Wouldn't worry about it, thought he took his goal brilliantly.

Agreed
    All the goals came from on the left last night, Fabio had a bad game, Can't remember Neville, Brown, Evans putting a foot wrong TBH.

Felt bad for Fab, he had a bit of stinker defending. Thought VDS could have done better commanding his area.
    Hope the ref gets repremanded over the Fletcher incident, shocking decision.

Probably won't, but I hope so too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I think thats harsh TBH. The free kick for there third was conceded on the right, and unless it was Fabios job to marking there goal scorer I can't see how the third was his fault. To me it looks like he went across with his man, and somebody ghosted in from outside the box unmarked.

There first one was also a case of the ball being lost on the right and they came straight through the middle.

Now I didn't get to see the whole game so Fabio may indeed of had a bad game, but he was not at fault for at least two goals IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I think Owen deserves some credit. He has great movement, has already scored some very important goals and he very rarely gives the ball away. They showed some clips of him in the highlights last night and he actually contributed a lot!

Considering last night was his first full game, I think he's done brilliantly.

QFT. He still has issues with stamina and fitness obviously, but early on in the match his movement was utterly fantastic. The big problem was most of the players around him weren't on his wavelength. I know at one stage in the first half he made a brilliant diagonal run that pulled two defenders and left acres of space in front of Akinfeev for someone to run into. But then Fletcher went right, Macheda went left and both made Owen look like an idiot.

Everyone points to the misses, but people don't realise how hard he works to get into them. A bit more match sharpness and he has the potential to be a goal machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I think thats harsh TBH. The free kick for there third was conceded on the right, and unless it was Fabios job to marking there goal scorer I can't see how the third was his fault. To me it looks like he went across with his man, and somebody ghosted in from outside the box unmarked.

There first one was also a case of the ball being lost on the right and they came straight through the middle.

Now I didn't get to see the whole game so Fabio may indeed of had a bad game, but he was not at fault for at least two goals IMO.

Kiko was at fault for the third goal i think. Fairly certain it was his man that he let run on. Looked like he was trying to pass him on to Fabio, but Fabio already had a guy who he was tracking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Kiko was at fault for the third goal i think. Fairly certain it was his man that he let run on. Looked like he was trying to pass him on to Fabio, but Fabio already had a guy who he was tracking.

Yeah think you are right. He keep in from outside the box, someone should have tracked him. You don't pass players on when a set piece is coming into the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Re Owen , I agree. he's been very good. Fingers crossed he also appears to have his injury problems behind him. His movement and positioning is top class, he looks like a very good buy for SAF.

Fabio should have attempted to clear the ball for their 3rd goal. I would put most of the blame for it on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It is about secondary defending though, Fabio completely misjudged the flight of the ball, had he not it should have been cleared.

Don't want to raggiing on the young fella, he is my favourite player at the moment.

Your defense is only as strong as your weakest link though, I was more addressing people saying Chelsea will tear our defense apart when the reality is rest of the defense didn't play badly at all. Evra in there last night and I don't think we would not have conceeded, not 3 anways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Nobody was marking Berezutsky at all for that goal, he was hanging outside the box and made a run. Macheda and Fabio were tracking a couple of other players who made front post runs. Fabio was left in no man's land - and Macheda saw Berezutsky running to the back post but let him go.

So i don't know if it was Macheda's man, but i would certainly blame him more than i would Fabio. Fabio's position was poor, but you can't forgive knowingly letting a man run in.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/3819740/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

It is about secondary defending though, Fabio completely misjudged the flight of the ball, had he not it should have been cleared.

Don't want to raggiing on the young fella, he is my favourite player at the moment.

Your defense is only as strong as your weakest link though, I was more addressing people saying Chelsea will tear our defense apart when the reality is rest of the defense didn't play badly at all. Evra in there last night and I don't think we would not have conceeded, not 3 anways.

we let them in to easily for the first and second as well though, and especially in the first half we gave them too many free shots - shots that players like Lampard would love to have attempts at. Our central midfield and defense will have to be a lot quicker, and better, at closing the space out on Sunday.

VDS 5
    Fabio 4.5
    Brown 6
    Evans 6.5
    Neville 6.5
    Fletcher 6
    Scholes 7
    Nani 6.5
    Valencia 6
    Owen 7
    Macheda 7

Rooney 6
    Evra 6
    Obertan 6.5 (maybe 6)

agreed? :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

VDS 5
    Fabio 4.5
    Brown 6
    Evans 6.5
    Neville 6.5
    Fletcher 6
    Scholes 7
    Nani 6.5
    Valencia 6
    Owen 7
    Macheda 7

Rooney 6
    Evra 6
    Obertan 6.5 (maybe 6)

id give nev a bit higher score possibly a 7.5 and nani from me would get a 5

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

VDS 5
    Fabio 4.5
    Brown 6
    Evans 6.5
    Neville 6.5
    Fletcher 6
    Scholes 7
    Nani 6.5
    Valencia 6
    Owen 7
    Macheda 7

Rooney 6
    Evra 6
    Obertan 6.5 (maybe 6)

My rankings can look harsh but they're not really.
    10 = Keane vs Juve
    1 = worst performance from a United player you've ever seen
    5 = average performance by United standard (so 5 doesn't mean a bad performance!)

VDS 5
    Fabio 3
    Brown 3
    Evans 4
    Neville 6
    Fletcher 5
    Scholes 6
    Nani 4
    Valencia 4
    Owen 6
    Macheda 6

Rooney 6
    Evra 7
    Obertan 6 (maybe that's a little high because i'm comparing him to Nani)

Brown and Evans were shocking for the first two goals. Evans did a lot of the tiding up in the second half when CSKA weren't attacking in numbers so much. I hope it's Vidic and Evans against Chelsea and not Brown and Evans.

• Advertisement
Advertisement