Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting?

• 02-11-2009 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭

Ok so I'm pretty sure most dudes here live in Dublin, so actually going to meets is a generally easy venture. I live up in Westmeath, so going to Dublin is not only hard on me pocket (It's like 20 euro or maybe more for a return ticket, and even then I have like a time limit on myself) but I can't really enjoy the day if I have to be looking at my watch all day

Anyway, that's the main reason I'm not attending these meets, forking out that much cash is ridiculous I think, just for myself. I know it sounds selfish, but I don't work, I'm still in secondary school and I don't get money at all. I'm all for the community and going to meets, but after commuting that's it, no money left.

No one in my family would dare bring me to Dublin on a Saturday either. Any ideas? This will prolly turn into a fail thread, but oh well

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Grow up. Get a Job. Get a Car.

It's your own fault you are too young!

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I'm based in Athlone so same county. I go by Bus on saturday, return ticket is €15.50 and then roughly €10 spent on playing. Game time is usually 4-6 hours.

I don't see any other alternative or the point to this thread either, I guess your hoping against hope that someone is traveling up from your location and could give you a lift. Where in Westmeath are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Thumb down :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Get a job.
    When i was in Secondary school i was rolling in money.
    Once you have to start paying for food and rent on top of drugs and beer on the same minimum wage part time ****fest of a job, then you know money problems
    Seriously I only go up to these things every so often, that's just the way it is.
    the actual 4 hours in xgc is the cheapest part of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

The last thing you want when in school is a job.

Like Azza said, if money is a problem getting to the meets, just suss out if anyone can take a detour to pick you up when travelling. Or else convince your guardian that sending you to Dublin to do something you really enjoy is a good venture on their part, and get them to give you some cashola.

Or gamble on some money matches with cash you don't really have, that might be fun. Except for the broken fingers if you lose :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

well ive been looking for a joa for ages i really need one. I have handed so many CVs around made calls and no luck. Im praying for a job.

btw im in mullingar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Dunno if it works in Westmeath, but everytime I go anywhere from Dublin via the bus I get a student ticket from the machine and noone ever checks if I'm actually a student or not.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

He is a student anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

You can only get student travelcards in 3rd level education though (I think?).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

that's the impression i was under, but back in the day i think i used to get child tickets (up to 16 maybe???) memory fails me. but a 5th or 6th year student could easily pass for a 1st year of college student.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

As far as I know student travel cards are not just limited to students.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

just come to competitions

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Placebo wrote: »
    just come to competitions

This.

You learn alot at casuals but you learn even more at competitions and there's always machines not being used to play casual on anyways. So pick and choose your dates of attendance!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

This.

You learn alot at casuals but you learn even more at competitions and there's always machines not being used to play casual on anyways. So pick and choose your dates of attendance!

Yeah I had this idea aswell. As of now, I'm 100% going to the T6 tourn. on the 28th. I would love to go to casuals aswell, so I take it you guys will be in XGC on that day? So maybe if I get knocked out early or w/e I could pop down, if possible. But yeah, I could easily go to casuals every second week, just need to cut back on binging ugh stuff xD

But yeah, when I think about it, I get more than enough money every two weeks to come eveyr second week, so sounds good :cool:

Advertisement