Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

I know its only Monday but best of luck with it, really hope it falls into place for you on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

menoscemo wrote: »
    Don't read into it that I am not going to give sub 3 my best shot. If it's on it's on. If I am still there at 20 miles I'll be prepared to hurt don't, worry.
    I have done the kamikaze before in Berlin 2011 and it hurts :) I was falling off the pace and maxing out my HR by 10 miles there and it took until mile 17 until I gave up the ghost (already 2 minutes off goal pace). I'm just saying I will know by 10k if I even have a chance of sub 3. I know how these things are supposed to feel at that stage and how they are not...

BTW you are on for that bet. I can never resist a wager :)

I think if you tried for the sub 3 by running even splits you'd die a death. Why not leave the door open but at the same time make sure you dont blow up. If you're working off a 92 minute half then I think the best approach would be to run the first half in 97minutes and go for it after that. I mean 97 minutes should see you very comfortably to the halfway point and not in any trouble whatsoever. You'd be chasing it all the way to the finish and theres nothing that accelerates you more than passing loads of people and there'd be no shortage of them in London. You may not end up with a sub 3 but you'd definitely come out with a big negative and a decent time, it'd be a lot more fun aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

tunguska wrote: »
    I think if you tried for the sub 3 by running even splits you'd die a death. Why not leave the door open but at the same time make sure you dont blow up. If you're working off a 92 minute half then I think the best approach would be to run the first half in 97minutes and go for it after that. I mean 97 minutes should see you very comfortably to the halfway point and not in any trouble whatsoever. You'd be chasing it all the way to the finish and theres nothing that accelerates you more than passing loads of people and there'd be no shortage of them in London. You may not end up with a sub 3 but you'd definitely come out with a big negative and a decent time, it'd be a lot more fun aswell.

Sounds like Fun, but no way i am selling myself short :)
    I know I 'raced' a 1:32 half but I was sick. I'd like to think I could still race well under 90 on a good day.

Last year I went through half in 1:30:59 and felt very comfy, I reckon I am at least in the same shape and on the right day a bit better. PB from then is 3:04. If i go out in 1:37 I will need to come back in 1:27 just to get a PB and 1:22 to break 3. Given that my Half PB is 1:26 I wouldn't be giving myself much chance :p. London is a definite positive split course by the way. The first half is very easy, the 2nd half is just 'easy'.

BTW finally got round to reading your old log today in work for the first time (after all the talk over the years) that was short and sweet. I can also see why you closed it down so quick. Much the same reason I don't pot much in mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

+1. Maybe 97 is a little slow but his point is a good one IMO. Going out harder that current fitness allows rarely pays off, not through lack of guts at the end when youve to hang on, but because you exhaust your glycogen earlier in the race.

The closer your pace is to your LT pace, the higher the proportion of glycogen to fat being burnt. Simple as that. Going out a what feels like marathon pace and then dropping the hammer like you never have before after 20 miles at least has a chance of success (and a strategy you can control).

Would love to see you do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Meno decide on the pace yourself. Ditch the heart rate monitor, as far as I can see it will do you no good. So what if your heart rate is 10 bpm up on normal rate. I'd rather not know that. Plays on your mind. It's technically a race at the end of the day!

• Advertisement

TRR wrote: »
    Meno decide on the pace yourself. Ditch the heart rate monitor, as far as I can see it will do you no good. So what if your heart rate is 10 bpm up on normal rate. I'd rather not know that. Plays on your mind. It's technically a race at the end of the day!

Exactly lads. We can hypothesise and talk ****e here all day but it won't make a shread of difference on the day. As I stated I will be going out at what feels to be the right pace and having a glance at the watch after 10k and take it from there. That for me is the correct strategy.

Dave I have never looked at my HR during a race and never will. I wear the monitor but never display the data in real time. I am not a feckin triathlete or something ;). I will have a look after the race one loaded to garmin connect (in this case about 4 days later when I sober up ;)).

I know I mentioned my HR in my update but that was checked after the fact, not during the run. I haven't paced myself off HR since January.... I think that early in the programme it can be a good strategy with regards running to your current fitness. later in the programme you just have to run by feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I'll be interested in hearing what you mean by that. We were speculating on our 'long run' on sunday that you might have pushed a bit hard early doors, especially between HM and mile 20??

no - nothing earth shattering I'm afraid - just things like really managing the last 2-3 miles when it gets tough. I don't really have too much experience of that.

things like knowing where you are on the race - when my hammer went I only had about 800m left but thought I had about 1.5miles (signage was very poor-but I didn't check the other screen on the watch)

Taking salt tabs before you need them :o - that sort of thing.

btw - my 5m splits were (34.03/33.54/33.48/34.07/35.05/9.10) so from 13-20 was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

While you are around (!) - best of luck sub-3 or not this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Best of luck Meno, enjoy the day. London's a great buzz. How do we track you, apart from sending the local Connemara water diviner over to track you!

TbL

Best of luck Meno, enjoy the day. London's a great buzz. How do we track you, apart from sending the local Connemara water diviner over to track you!

TbL

I am sure the lads will be tracking us on the London marathon thead, they were last year!! My number is 31952 anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Best to you, meno. I really, really, really hope you go a sub 3, otherwise you might be a drag in Boston, and I'll be having none of that!!! ;):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Best to you, meno. I really, really, really hope you go a sub 3, otherwise you might be a drag in Boston, and I'll be having none of that!!! ;):)

"Might be a drag"!! There's nothing quite as bad as a moany nordie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

digger2d2 wrote: »
    "Might be a drag"!! There's nothing quite as bad as a moany nordie :)

You've met non-moany ones? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Best of luck Sunday meno :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Best of luck Meno.

Michael D. said he stashed a spare gel for you around mile 18 in case you need it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Good luck on Sunday, am sure it will go well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

you are due untold amounts of good karma for all the help you give people on this forum so I've no doubt you'll nail it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Hopefully I'll still get that sub 3 just before you and claim victory :cool:

carpe diem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Best of luck Meno.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Best of luck on Sunday Meno.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Good luck Meno :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Best of luck on Sunday.
    I'll be tracking your progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

The very best of luck on Sunday Meno! If you could use goodwill from the runners that you have helped, rather than glycogen you'd be pushing Kipsang out of your way I reckon. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Best of luck. I really hope you achieve your target. The report should he epic if last years is anything to go by! The race report should be good too :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Best of luck on Sunday, Meno. Use your experience to get yourself to 20 in good shape, then empty the tank to glory....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Best of luck Meno - sincerely hope it goes well for you.
    All in all, you deserve a great race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Best of luck on Sunday. Really hope the legs respond on the day and you get gold. I know you'll give it 101% and aren't afraid to hurt. I've noted your number and will be tracking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Dfiu.....like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

good luck meno! Hope you get under the three hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

A race report that starts - 'I was really suffering but when I turned that last corner and saw 2:5x:xx on the clock I didn't give a.........' -would be nice.

Best of luck, enjoy it either way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement