Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

8 Miles w/ 5 x 600m at 5k pace
    4 Mile warm up @ 8:40 ish (HR 140 ish).
    5 x 600m with 200m recovery:
    Pace in minutes/mile (AvHR)
    1. 6:24 (169)
    2. 5:54 (169)
    3. 6:10 (171)
    4. 6:11 (172)
    5. 6:16 (168)

I did these in the park as opposed to the track and the elevation accounts for the diffrences in pace/ effort over ht repeats. This felt hard at the time but looking at the stats now I don't think I pushed hard enough. The max HR for the intervals only vary from 173-175 which is barely inside the V)" max range.

1.5 miles Warm down @ 8:50 pace (149)

Total: 8 miles @ 8:11 pace (149)

Recovery Run 6.1 miles @9:11 Pace HR 138.
    Just a nice little loosener ahead of tomorrows race (simon 5 mile). I am planning on not killing myself but still setting a PB. The official PB is still 34:15 in sportsworld back in may but I have already beaten that by over 30 seconds in the parkwest 10k in july ( I don't count that as a PB though). Tomorrow I am just looking at 33:xx as I have heard the course is tough and I don't want to overly pressurise myself with targets.

Really balmy out there tonight. I love running in nice weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

The course ain't that hilly as you've done the Kyber many times. I'ld say 33.xx is possible all going well, just mind the body for a couple of weeks time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

menoscemo wrote: »
    Just a nice little loosener ahead of tomorrows race (simon 5 mile). I am planning on not killing myself but still setting a PB. The official PB is still 34:15 in sportsworld back in may but I have already beaten that by over 30 seconds in the parkwest 10k in july ( I don't count that as a PB though). Tomorrow I am just looking at 33:xx as I have heard the course is tough and I don't want to overly pressurise myself with targets.

Stop sandbagging, you are either racing or your not. you cant run races at 90% and its not a good habit to get into. either jog it or race it!low 33 at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Stop sandbagging, you are either racing or your not. you cant run races at 90% and its not a good habit to get into. either jog it or race it!low 33 at least
    +1
    Either jaunt around or race it mate.
    5 miles will pass quick and you will get over it in a couple of days. On your new 5k pb id say low 33. Maybe even high 32 if the kyber wasnt the guts of the last mile.

• Advertisement

Ssshhh lads, I'm just trying to paly it down. O course I'll give it socks tomorrow :p

Kenny, low 33 is still 33:xx ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Best of luck tomorrow!

Kenny, low 33 is still 33:xx ;)

Yeah but there is a world of diff between 33.0x and 33.5x, so you should be writing 33.0/1x. something with a 32 is likely anyway:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Do you know what I like about kennyb, he says it as it is, no bull****.
    I'd hate to be your OH though.

OH: Does my bum look big in this?
    KB: yep

Woddle wrote: »
    Do you know what I like about kennyb, he says it as it is, no bull****.
    I'd hate to be your OH though.

OH: Does my bum look big in this?
    KB: yep

Ha ha i wish i was that brave, its easy hiding behind my keyboard here. She beats me as i is. Thanks btw.

• Advertisement

Nice meeting you today, good time given the conditions the wind and lack of people to run with was a killer. Gutted now i didnt go for pints now, schollboy error driving. should have ditched the car.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Nice meeting you today, good time given the conditions the wind and lack of people to run with was a killer. Gutted now i didnt go for pints now, schollboy error driving. should have ditched the car.

You didn't miss anything. The pints mostly consisted of everyone abusing me. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

You didn't miss anything. The pints mostly consisted of everyone abusing me. :rolleyes:

No change there then :pac:

Didn't have the head for the fight today though. :pac:

Sad i missed it even more now, nothing like having a pint abusing a leeds fan:) (my dad is one too). Nice to meet you RQ, be it briefly. definitely going for pints the next day. since i ve got home all i ve wanted to do is go on an all day session and watch the rugby!:D

Well that sounds like a fun afternoon i missed out on. I'm sure if i'd beaten meno, i would have changed my mind and gone to the pub.

Anyway see ye all tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Not quite abuse, more like constructive criticism :p

chinguetti wrote: »
    Well that sounds like a fun afternoon i missed out on. I'm sure if i'd beaten meno, i would have changed my mind and gone to the pub.

Anyway see ye all tomorrow.

On that Note: Race Report:
    I Ran the 4 miles up to the registration area this morning where I met Chinguetti. I realised I was running late as he was all ready to go and I was still getting my racers out of my bag and had yet to put on my number and drop my bag off with only 15 miutes to the start....
    Chinguetti left me here and we met on the start line 10 minutes later. As Usual, he was only going for a jog :rolleyes: So I was to go on ahead.
    We started about 10 rows back but in front there were only kids, some quite overweight and I knew it was going to be an ordeal getting past them.
    The first half mile was mental. I had planned going out at 6:30 miles for the first 3 and see how it goes but the first part was a case of walk, jog, look for a gap, sprint etc. Some kids were arm in arm walking and frankly it was a joke. How the organisers didn't send the kids to the back at the start I don't know.
    Anyway after half a mile the pace was 7:xx so I had to speed up, I was happy in the end to finish the mile in 6:42. Brainderunner passed me at this point and was expecting me to follow but my legs felt heavy. I knocked out the next mile in 6:35 but it was very start stop- I couldn't seem to get in any rythym and it was a case of looking at the garmin, realise I was going too slow, speed up a bit then repeat. The next mile was much the same (6:35) then we hit the s bends and I really struggled. It seemed to be uphill and into the wind. I considered stopping many times. I also felt like puking despite having had no breakfast. There seemed to be noone near me to spur me on and noone behind either to push me forward. I gutted out the mile in 6:58 and then onto the Kyber......This was tough but I had realised that I needed a 7 minute mile to break 34 minutes so that became the target.

Up near the top of the kyber I spied RQ and Xebec and they were shouting at me to do a sprint finish; no way! I said- I was feeling awful but It looked like I was on target for sub 34 and I was happy with that. Then it all became clear- with about 200m to go Chinguetti flew past me on my outside. I shouted some expletives and chased off after him. I gritted the teeth and managed to just get past him on the inside on the last few strides. It was a great sprint finish and the commentator even called us home. there was a fair crowd cheering us so it felt pretty cool :cool:

Total: 5.02 miles in 33:45 Av pace: 6:43, avHR 173. Splits: 6:42 (164), 6:34 (172), 6:35 (174), 6:58 (176), 6:52 (177) 0.02 @ 4:10 :eek: (181).

A really tough course exacerbated by hills and wind. It was also overall net uphill.

Total for the day: 9 miles

Met Kennyb3, the vaggabond, brianderunner, RQ, xebec, chinguetti after and had a few pints (only 5 this time I think) in the pub beside ryans. (Ryans is better- it was full of kids). I hope to be up early for 16 miles with the group in the park inthe morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

That is good running. But over a very short distance.
    Am I bovvered? Frankly yes!

I met up with the group in the park this morning. A nice turnout, I think there were 7 of us. Most of the group were doing 13 som Myself, Ral3 and Xebec split with them at 13 for an extra loop. Myself and Ral were planning 16 but ended up running a little further so Xebec could make up his 20.
    We ran the first 13 in about 9:35 pace and sped up over the last 4 (8:52, 8:35, 8:08, 7:54).

Nice running with the group as always. I'll miss these runs through the winter.

Overall: 16.7 miles @ 9:17 av Pace. No HRM this morning.

Total for the week: 5 runs, 43.8 miles
    I really noticed the taper this week and felt sluggish (but totally rested) by saturday. Nice to get two quality runs in a row.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Nice running with the group as always. I'll miss these runs through the winter.

No reason why the LSR's can't happen in winter. There's enough of us doing spring marathons.

No reason why the LSR's can't happen in winter. There's enough of us doing spring marathons.

Definitely. It'll be bright by 9am in the dead of winter anyway. The park is amazing on winter mornings.

Really enjoyed that this morning actually, it's a long time since I've trained that early in the morning. I used to always go out at 7am for my LSR's when I first started running and the park was still busy enough then. Fresh, cold, damp winter mornings are even better. :D

I'ld be game for the odd long run in the winter. Keep the eye in and tis a good way to run the miles without much bother and there's the odd laugh too.

chinguetti wrote: »
    I'ld be game for the odd long run in the winter. Keep the eye in and tis a good way to run the miles without much bother and there's the odd laugh too.

Make sure you don't wear the colour of sexual frustration next time! :pac:

Well as blue, black and purple as seem to fit the bill, i'm down to red and white and i ain't changing to becoming a Cork man however much you try.

Must try and get a pink top:D

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭RAL3

Myself and Ral were planning 16 but ended up running a little further so Xebec could make up his 20.
    We ran the first 13 in about 9:35 pace and sped up over the last 4 (8:52, 8:35, 8:08, 7:54).

The real reason we upped the pace in the last few miles was for myself and Xebec to see if it was possible for you to stop talking for 3 consequetive minutes!

Only joking, enjoyable run.

By the way how did you get on in the last mile in the 5 miler yesterday???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

RAL3 wrote: »
    The real reason we upped the pace in the last few miles was for myself and Xebec to see if it was possible for you to stop talking for 3 consequetive minutes!

Only joking, enjoyable run.

By the way how did you get on in the last mile in the 5 miler yesterday???

Haha! Love it! He did quieten down just a little though didn't he? Now, what was that you were saying about a soft PB meno? :pac:

I hear that Christy Moore is writing a ballad about the race up Kyber that occured yesterday. I'm told that it will be a soft sounding song, like the PB.:D

I have lost control of my log :o
    And the worst thing is, I can't think of any smart arse replies :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

And the best thing is, I can't think of any smart arse replies :P
    FYP

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement