Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Did you get your way for 22?!

Last 0.79miles at 8.44 - you overestimated me :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

claralara wrote: »
    Did you get your way for 22?!

Last 0.79miles at 8.44 - you overestimated me :pac:

couldn't persuade her in the end, but we did manage to make it back uo the kyber for mile 20.. You might have been 8:44 for the last .79, but you didn't start to speed up until there was about .5 to go ;) My Garmin shows us under 8 min/mile for the last .2 of those.

Group long run today. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/64529631covered. 9:37 pace. A little slower than Mcmillan suggests I should do long runs, but I think time on my feet is more important for ultra training.
    WTD: 5 Run 50 miles
    MTD:20 runs 192.1 miles

8.2 miles @ 8:12 pace.*
    I would have liked to go for a longer run tonight but I only got back to Dublin late this evening after being at a family event up north. Pushed the pace a bit more than usual to get a bit of quality into the run.

Weekly total: 5 Run 58.2 miles
    MTD:21 runs 200.3 miles

*Estimations: Garmin went dead mid run so I mapped out the rest of the run and kept the average pace up to that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

menoscemo wrote: »
    couldn't persuade her in the end, but we did manage to make it back uo the kyber for mile 20.. You might have been 8:44 for the last .79, but you didn't start to speed up until there was about .5 to go ;) My Garmin shows us under 8 min/mile for the last .2 of those.

Group long run today. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/64529631covered. 9:37 pace. A little slower than Mcmillan suggests I should do long runs, but I think time on my feet is more important for ultra training.
    WTD: 5 Run 50 miles
    MTD:20 runs 192.1 miles
    You have great patients running at that pace mate. Seems to be working for you.

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    You have great patients running at that pace mate. Seems to be working for you.

Yeah, maybe it's not ideal but in fairness it's only about 30/sec mile slower than planned Ultra Pace and it also gives me good time on the feet. As you say it doesn't seem to be affected my racing.

Tonight: 6.2 miles @9:07 pace. I just wanted to let the legs dictate tonights recovery pace and this is what they produced. Legs are very heavy as they were last night and I feel a little niggle in the hip (related to last weeks niggle I think). Track tomorrow night, hopefully a bit of speedwork will bring the legs back round if not a trip to the physio for an MOT might be in order. I have a feeling that this will be one of those hard weeks where everything feels like a slog :mad:

WTD: 1 Run 6.2 miles
    MTD 22 Runs 206.5 miles

• Advertisement

This just in, some people think an ultra doesnt count unless its 50 miles. Remember that when your doing your 10k up in conn:D

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    This just in, some people think an ultra doesnt count unless its 50 miles. Remember that when your doing your 10k up in conn:D

Feck it, looks like we'll have to do Dingle so ;).

Feck it, looks like we'll have to do Dingle so ;).

Ill either do do dingle or the 39.3 down in longford. Or if you wanna add another feather in your cap maybe the double down in longford. Food for thought.

Tuesday 25th
    Track last night with Aimman. After a 1.5m warm up I could already feel niggles in my lower right leg/hip.
    Our plan was 6x 800m. I did the first one ok in 3:05. Was feling a little sore in my lower right leg, by the foot. Did one more anyway 3:07. Pain was up by hip now giving me the sensation I was dragging my right leg along after me. I was gonna just ditch the sesion here, but decided to do one more rep at Aimman a little slower to see if that helped. Interval 3 was about 7 min/mile pace. This was comfortable on the lungs but the right leg was gone now. By the end of this interval I almost felt like I had a dead leg or pins and needles all the way from foot to hip and could hardly stand at all.

Called it a day at this point and rang the Physio.
    3 miles @ 8:02 av Pace

Luckily I bagged an appointment with the physio for today and went along after work. I explained all my niggles/ pains and after putting me on the bench immediately noticed a lack of movement from the right hip/pelvis. One hour of pain later and he thinks it's all sorted. I'll test it out tomorrow with 5 or 6 miles at lunchtime.

Finger crossed for the long run/ race at the weekend. I Will play it all by ear. If I run Raheny on sunday I'll probably enter on the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Hope you get back on course. I suppose you should take it easy for the first run to check out the leg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

hope its all sorted, sounds like you found yourself a good physio, can be hit and miss

ronnie085 wrote: »
    hope its all sorted, sounds like you found yourself a good physio, can be hit and miss

Yep, My Physio is A1. I went in today not evening knowing how to describe what the problem was and he had it identified in 30 seconds.

@Aimman. Yep nice and easy tomorrow and if that goes ok, I'll try a long one on friday. I was given the all clear to race on sunday if I'm feeling ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Tuesday 25th
    Track last night with Aimman. After a 1.5m warm up I could already feel niggles in my lower right leg/hip.
    Our plan was 6x 800m. I did the first one ok in 3:05. Was feling a little sore in my lower right leg, by the foot. Did one more anyway 3:07. Pain was up by hip now giving me the sensation I was dragging my right leg along after me. I was gonna just ditch the sesion here, but decided to do one more rep at Aimman a little slower to see if that helped. Interval 3 was about 7 min/mile pace. This was comfortable on the lungs but the right leg was gone now. By the end of this interval I almost felt like I had a dead leg or pins and needles all the way from foot to hip and could hardly stand at all.

Called it a day at this point and rang the Physio.
    3 miles @ 8:02 av Pace

Luckily I bagged an appointment with the physio for today and went along after work. I explained all my niggles/ pains and after putting me on the bench immediately noticed a lack of movement from the right hip/pelvis. One hour of pain later and he thinks it's all sorted. I'll test it out tomorrow with 5 or 6 miles at lunchtime.

Finger crossed for the long run/ race at the weekend. I Will play it all by ear. If I run Raheny on sunday I'll probably enter on the morning.

Sorry to hear that big man, I hope it's just a blip!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Nice and easy Meno for the next couple of days. I always find with a physio visit that it takes 2 to 3 days before i see the benefit. Hope the physio did the trick.

chinguetti wrote: »
    Nice and easy Meno for the next couple of days. I always find with a physio visit that it takes 2 to 3 days before i see the benefit. Hope the physio did the trick.

As always bro, I'll do my best to take your advice on Board.

and then proceed to ignore it :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Take it easy...

As always bro, I'll do my best to take your advice on Board.

and then proceed to ignore it :P

Jaysus, we must be my brother as the real one ignores all my advice too;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

chinguetti wrote: »
    Jaysus, we must be my brother as the real one ignores all my advice too;)

I thought he was your father:D:D:D

mrslow wrote: »
    I thought he was your father:D:D:D

less of that!!

Just back from a nice easy lunchtime jog 5.7 miles. Leg is much better. I'll give the LSR a bash tomorrow afternoon since I have bagged the day off work. (I have a dental appointment in Belfast tomorrow A.M.). I anyone fanices a run in Phoenix park on friday between 2pm-5pm let me know.

Good to hear that son, mind that leg.

Mind those teeth while you're at it:D One should smile while doing those LSRs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

less of that!!

Just back from a nice easy lunchtime jog 5.7 miles. Leg is much better. I'll give the LSR a bash tomorrow afternoon since I have bagged the day off work. (I have a dental appointment in Belfast tomorrow A.M.). I anyone fanices a run in Phoenix park on friday between 2pm-5pm let me know.

Take it easy dear, short loops back to the car, if it flares up get back in. You can miss an LSR this week, it's no harm. Better to let everything settle than risk flaring it up with a long run + a race...

Take it easy dear, short loops back to the car, if it flares up get back in. You can miss an LSR this week, it's no harm. Better to let everything settle than risk flaring it up with a long run + a race...
    Yep, thats the plan. Short loops and if it gets too sore then stop. I am actually quite sensible you know :-). Anyway physio said there is no serious damage or muscle tears and no reason to stop running ( unless it gets sore).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I anyone fanices a run in Phoenix park on friday between 2pm-5pm let me know.

Well for some! Talk about living the life... I am not looking forward to a 10 mile solo tonight - these group runs have me spoilt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

Good to see its nothing serious. The hardest thing to do when getting over even a slight injury is to take it easy.
    You running Raheny on Sunday?

You running Raheny on Sunday?

Looks like it. The test was to see how the legs were today and they passed with flying colours.

Thursday 27th Jan
    5.7 miles at lunch time (8:58 pace). Took a much less hilly route down to marlay park and back and kept the pace at recovery pace. Just to test the leg. Could feel the hip still a bit stiff but all fine otherwise.

Friday 28th. I had planned an LSR today. I drove up north last night as I had a dental appointement in Belfast early this morning. I figured with the rest of the day off it would be best to do my LSR this afternoon to be fresh for sunday if I race Raheny. After removing one of my molars in 3 seperate pieces, The dentist presented me with a sheet outlining what to do in the days to come.
    My attention was immediately drawn to point 1: After treatment avoid: a) strenuous excercise, b) Alcohol amongst other things.
    I asked the dentist if I could go for a run later, he advised against it but relented on further probing...Only an easy run and not at all if the gums are bleeding beforehand. Hmmm, does 22 miles count as easy? :pac:

Anyway, no pain or bleeding so I headed to the park just after 2pm with a plan of seeing how it goes. It went great. legs felt as good as they have done for a long time and this run felt as easy as any LSR I have ever done. I felt like I could have gone more and probably would have done but I spied the park rangers as I came off the kyber at the end of the run closing the car park. My car was the last one still inside :eek:. I had to forget about my loop of the car park to make up the 22 and proceeded to sprint to the car. 2 minutes and a severe ear bashing later I was off home.

21.8 miles @ 8:41 pace. 174m climbing. Last 2 miles were over the s bends and up the kyber and were faster than average pace.

Now I'm off to break the no alcohol rule as well :pac:

WTD: 4 runs 36.7 miles
    MTD: 25 runs, 237 miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

You're are a hardy man Meno well done on the LSR today.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Jaysus, nice work! Well deserved pints tonight. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Looks like it. The test was to see how the legs were today and they passed with flying colours.

Thursday 27th Jan
    5.7 miles at lunch time (8:58 pace). Took a much less hilly route down to marlay park and back and kept the pace at recovery pace. Just to test the leg. Could feel the hip still a bit stiff but all fine otherwise.

Friday 28th. I had planned an LSR today. I drove up north last night as I had a dental appointement in Belfast early this morning. I figured with the rest of the day off it would be best to do my LSR this afternoon to be fresh for sunday if I race Raheny. After removing one of my molars in 3 seperate pieces, The dentist presented me with a sheet outlining what to do in the days to come.
    My attention was immediately drawn to point 1: After treatment avoid: a) strenuous excercise, b) Alcohol amongst other things.
    I asked the dentist if I could go for a run later, he advised against it but relented on further probing...Only an easy run and not at all if the gums are bleeding beforehand. Hmmm, does 22 miles count as easy? :pac:

Anyway, no pain or bleeding so I headed to the park just after 2pm with a plan of seeing how it goes. It went great. legs felt as good as they have done for a long time and this run felt as easy as any LSR I have ever done. I felt like I could have gone more and probably would have done but I spied the park rangers as I came off the kyber at the end of the run closing the car park. My car was the last one still inside :eek:. I had to forget about my loop of the car park to make up the 22 and proceeded to sprint to the car. 2 minutes and a severe ear bashing later I was off home.

21.8 miles @ 8:41 pace. 174m climbing. Last 2 miles were over the s bends and up the kyber and were faster than average pace.

Now I'm off to break the no alcohol rule as well :pac:

WTD: 4 runs 36.7 miles
    MTD: 25 runs, 237 miles

Were u wearing a flowery yellow hat by any chance :confused::D..Tink we passed at about 4.30 near the Kyber and gave each other the "runners nod"

liamo123 wrote: »
    Were u wearing a flowery yellow hat by any chance :confused::D..Tink we passed at about 4.30 near the Kyber and gave each other the "runners nod"

Yep, that was me. Sorry boss, didn't recognise you. It must have been on the S bends?

BTW Fluorescent, definately not flowery. It's the hat they gave us after the Waterford Half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Yep, that was me. Sorry boss, didn't recognise you. It must have been on the S bends?

BTW Fluorescent, definately not flowery. It's the hat they gave us after the Waterford Half.

Jez fair play...u looked strong even at that late stage of ur run... thinking back it was the S Bends alright... Only messing about the hat :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement