Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

super running, going like that you wont break a sweat in 50k, fair play;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Well done!

Me thinks you're worried I'll overtake you on the 1000M challenge. I'll wait till you're in Barcelona and go on a mad run. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

26.2 miles is like any other distance. Once you get used to running it its grand. Well done btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭RAL3

Nice going lads - got up to 18 myself before packing it in.

Some very impressive puddle jumping and splashing performances there today.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RAL3 wrote: »
    Nice going lads - got up to 18 myself before packing it in.

Some very impressive puddle jumping and splashing performances there today.....

I didn't get my feet proper wet through until 23 miles when Oisin distratcted me and I ran straight into a deep puddle :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

ah here!

Congratz

menoscemo wrote: »
    I didn't get my feet proper wet through until 23 miles when Oisin distratcted me and I ran straight into a deep puddle :mad:

Ah i heard 2 crys of you got my balls wet. Its a finely tuned skill destroying somebody with a puddle. Not for rookies:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

That run shows how crap your marathon pb is ;)..

you need to train for a propper marthon once your finished with this ultra rubbish and set a real pb ;)...

Should be capable of getting sub 3:15 later in the year.

shels4ever wrote: »
    That run shows how crap your marathon pb is ;)..

you need to train for a propper marthon once your finished with this ultra rubbish and set a real pb ;)...

Should be capable of getting sub 3:15 later in the year.

Yep that's the plan. I hope to run one soon after the ultra to put down a PB and then train for 3:15 or better in the spring.

I was a bit jealous listening to people racing Barca today. I'm pretty sure I'd be good for 3:20-25 right now but ultra training is not gonna allow that. I'm pretty stuborn and my main aim is to win that bet with sarsfield rock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Do you use gels or anything like that on these long runs?

• Advertisement

gerard65 wrote: »
    Do you use gels or anything like that on these long runs?

Just had two yesterday that I had premixed with water, but I am not sure I needed tham and I never really felt hungry.

I find the key is to get a good big sunbstantial breakfast in prerun. At the moment scrambled eggs, bacon and toast seems to be working for me. I eat that about an hour before the really long ones.

8 miles @ 9:23 pace.
    I missed the group run this morning as I was still sleeping off the hangover :o. Got out this evening instead. Legs felt perfect, though the body is a bit drained. I never really got to eat properly since yesterdays long run. That shall all be rectified now though as I am off for a well deserved chinese :pac:

WTD 6 Runs 62.1 miles
    MTD 5 Runs 54.8 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

It all felt nice and easy, but with a mile to go I realised I needed an 8 minute mile to get under 3:45 so I put the boot down and did the last 1.2 in just under 7:30 pace, still feeling fresh.

Man that's some training run. Been reading over your log the last few days. You've made incredible process over the last year. You're running proof that lots and lots of slow pace miles really do reap rewards and don't compromise your race pace, your half-times are excellent. You've made me really think about my LSR pace.

outforarun wrote: »
    Man that's some training run. Been reading over your log the last few days. You've made incredible process over the last year. You're running proof that lots and lots of slow pace miles really do reap rewards and don't compromise your race pace, your half-times are excellent. You've made me really think about my LSR pace.

Thanks Bud, yeah about a year ago when I was quite a bit slower I was doing my 'easy runs' around 8-8:20/min pace. It was only when I read a few books and examined my heart rate I realised the pace and effort were too much for recovery. The penny kind of droped when I was reading the logs of runners much faster than me and they were doing their easy miles slower than I was!!

Unfortunately these days all my training runs seem to be stuck in avery slow pace. When all this ultra lark is over I'll get back to doing some faster runs in training and doing quality over quantity.

Intervals tonight

Plan was 6 x 800m. Did the first too fast without realising. By the time the fourth came round I felt like I was running in treacle. A combination of the wind, doing the first too fast and the weekend run I think. The calfs were like basketballs at this point so I just called it a day at 4 intervals, did a few extra laps then a cooldown with Aimman and RK.

Intervals went: 2:59, 3:03, 3:06, 3:07.

Total: 6 miles @8:19 average

WTD 1 Run 6 miles
    MTD 6 runs 60.8 miles

I was saying last night that I am so lazy on my midweek runs that I seem to be doing them all at a very, very easy pace. My long runs are almost my fastest ones of the week!!

Decided to buck the trend tonight on my run home from work and just run at a steady but comfortable pace, something like a marathon pace effort. I was very traffic restricted in that I had to stop to cross main roads about 15 times :mad: I was also wondering why the first mile was one of my slowest given that it has an elevation drop of 50 metres and I definately set off at a decent clip. Examining my Garmin readout, it has me starting tonights run about 150m from where I actually started it and as a consequence, it thinks I am running the first few minutes at about 15 min/mile. My guess is the first mile is somewhere around 7min not the 7:54 the garmin gives me.

Anyway 7.3 miles @ 7:50/mile (7:43/mile moving pace).

I'm guessing that if I was racing a marathon now I should go out at about 7:40/mile pace.

Tomorrow will be my first double, an A.M recovery run into work and an eveningrun with Aimman in Tymon Park.

WTD 2 Run 13.3 miles
    MTD 7 runs 68.1 miles

Morning:
    7.4 miles @8:56. Run into work at recovery pace, though I doubt my HR was in the recovery zone going up the hil in the last 1.5 miles.

Evening
    5 miles @ 8:29 av with Aimman in Tymon. This inclded 3 miles at Aimmans tempo pace (7:47, 7:49, 7:50).

Total for the day 12.4 miles

WTD 3 days Running, 25.7 miles
    MTD 8 days Running 80.5 miles

5.8 miles@8:58 round tymon.

WTD 4 days Running, 31.5 miles
    MTD 9 days Running 86.3 miles

21.9 miles @9:36 av pace. Met up with RK, Aimman, digijen, jcsmum and Lliamo in the park this morning for a long one. Lovely morning and there was even a strange firey orange thing in the sky most of the time. It seems to have burned my face a bit!! By mile 20 the group was down to just myself Liamo and Aimman so we upped the pace a bit and ran down the kyber and back up. the last mile was going back up the Kyber at 7:55 pace. Legs felt very fresh and strong.

WTD 5 days Running, 53.4 miles
    MTD 10 days Running 108.2 miles

Whats the goal for conn now. It must be down at 5.45 now eh?
    First 26.2 in 3.45 and grit the teeth for the last 13.1:D

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    First 26.2 in 3.45 and grit the teeth for the last 13.1:D

That's more or less the plan alright. Eddie may as well give up the money now :pac:

• Advertisement

11.5 miles @ 8:50 pace Another early run incorporating a stop to se the end of the Cupids dash race and a few miles after the race with Mr Slow.

Legs felt very heavy and sluggish as the early mile splits suggest. As seems to be the norm these days, the pace picked up significantly in the second half despite no conscious effort to up the pace.

Weekly total: 6 days Running, 64.9 miles
    MTD 11 days Running 119.7 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭aero2k

I was saying last night that I am so lazy on my midweek runs that I seem to be doing them all at a very, very easy pace. My long runs are almost my fastest ones of the week!!
    +1 on that. There are a few possible reasons for this:
    • I seem to take a few miles to get into my stride. A typical 5 or 6 mile run might be average 8:20 per mile, however it might be 8:50 for the first mile and 7:50 for the last.
    • I only really have a pace goal for the two "big" (call them Q for quality if you're a Daniels fan) sessions per week and they include a good warm-up. Also I tend to do them entirely on road which is significantly quicker.

I wouldn't worry too much about the pace of the short runs as long as you're getting in plenty of easy miles as well as the quality stuff.

How is the body handling the higher mileage?

aero2k wrote: »

I wouldn't worry too much about the pace of the short runs as long as you're getting in plenty of easy miles as well as the quality stuff.

I'm actually not too worried about lack of pace runs. I still set a Half Marathon and 5 mile PB of all these slow miles. The main goal is the ultra so training requires lots and lots of slow miles I guess. Still though, I can't wait to Conn Ultra is over and I can get back to doing more fast tempo runs...
    aero2k wrote: »
    How is the body handling the higher mileage?
    Body is handling it ok I guess. One of the main reasons I keep the miles slow is to ensure I don't push it too much with both speen and distance. There's a constant niggle in the hip and sometimes in the foot but nothing a few Neurofen plus can't eardicate. Still though, I must do more stretching and foam rolling :o

BTW did you realise you have a doppelganger out there running around the phoenix park? We passed him twice yesterday. First time I waved but then pulled the hand back when I copped it wasn't you. Didn't stop Aimman shouting 'hey sean' as he passed us though. Second time he actually heard Aimman shouting and waved back with a look of confusion on his face :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭aero2k

BTW did you realise you have a doppelganger out there running around the phoenix park?
    Ah, those skinny, baldy guys are ten-a-penny these days.:D

The return of the chilly air came this evening and I wasn't really prepared for it. I had only brought tshirts and shorts for the post work run, but luckily I sourced out a hat and gloves at the bottom of my gym bag.

Headed off at sub 8 minute pace for the first two miles before realising this was supposed to be a recovery run and eased off.
    6.5 miles @ 8:17 av Pace

This is going to be a step back week for two reasons:
    a) 2 consecutive 60+ mile weeks have taken their toll on the legs and body
    b) starting next weekend I have two big races in a row ( a 50k and Barcelona Marathon) and I am probably best served with a little mini taper in the run up.

I expect to do no more than 50 miles this week with an LSR of around 12-14 miles. I may replace lack of miles with a decent tempo run later in the week and a good few hills in the longish run at the weekend.

WTD 1 day running 6.5 miles
    MTD 12 days Running 126.2 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Hills are your friend!

Are you running on Sunday?

mrslow wrote: »
    Hills are your friend!

Are you running on Sunday?

Is there gonna be a group run on sunday? I can't saturday as I'm working but sunday is a possibility. It would just be 10 miles or less though...

Is there gonna be a group run on sunday? I can't saturday as I'm working but sunday is a possibility. It would just be 10 miles or less though...

That'll do, I'm tied up on Saturday too!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

mrslow wrote: »
    I'm tied up on Saturday
    ;)

• Advertisement

;)

That's Claralara's gig not mine winky!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement