Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

claralara wrote: »
    Sometimes when I can't decide between a big mac or chicken, I get a cheeseburger with big mac sauce and chicken nuggets on the side...mmmm...piggy :D

I am an athlete. I need to fuel the furnace!
    menoscemo wrote: »
    I have been known to get a side order of chicken nuggets with my big mac meal aswell.

This talk early in the week was a bit of an Omen. I found myself in the airport at lunchtime today and as I invariably do in such circumstances, I wandered up to Maccie D's (I promise it's only about a once a in month occurrence :o). I went looking in my wallet for a voucher I had for a cheap bigmac meal and found not only that but one for a cheap chicken nugget meal too. So guess what? Yes I ended up having both meals :eek: As you might imagine I felt sick the rest of the afternoon and it looked to be putting this evenings tempo in doubt. The angry looking clouds and wind didn't help the mood either.

I struggled out none the less and ended up doing 4 miles of tempo in my 7 miler (2 x 2miles).
    Tempo Miles went: 6:54, 6:51, 6:57, 6:48.

Total: 7.2 miles @7:30 av pace.

WTD 4 days running 29.4 miles
    MTD 15 days Running 149.1 miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Good luck this morning piggy!

Good luck this morning piggy!

What For? Working today so no race...

9.7 miles @ 8:27 av pace over a hilly course around south Dublin/Dublin mountains. Took it nice and easy so I was surprised to see the Pace as quick. I have noticed this week that my easy pace has definately dropped significantly (today felt like my 'I could go all day' pace).
    Wore the HRM strap for the first time in ages and it appears to be pretty accurate. Av HR 143 (78% max) peaking at 166 on the Heartbreak hill at mile 8.

WTD 5 days running 39.1 miles
    MTD 16 days Running 158.8 miles

This was supposed to be 12 miles but due to a couple of people getting lost and arriving late to the start having ran nearly 8 instead of 6, it got a little shortened. Enjoyable run as always if a little dramatic in places :rolleyes:, got rid of my hangover nicely!

Well done to Clara Lara and RK getting almost 19 miles in. A nice confidence booster for both!

10.8 miles total.
    An easy week ahead for me now ahead of the 50k race on saturday :eek:

Weekly total: 6 days running 49.9 miles

MTD 17 days Running 169.6 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

How do you rename a link?

• Advertisement

mrslow wrote: »
    How do you rename a link?

Don't get you boss.

Don't get you boss.

You have a link to your Garmin report but have the link named 10.8 miles instead of www.garminwhatever......

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

[*url=link_to_Garmin_trace]Title[/url*]

Remove the stars, of course :)

[*url=link_to_Garmin_trace]Title[/url*]

Remove the stars, of course :)

Thanks, I'll try that.

You have a link to your Garmin report but have the link named 10.8 miles instead of www.garminwhatever......

1. Write what you want to link...e.g 10.8 miles.
    2. Highlight what you want to link by right clicking the mouse and rolling it over it.
    3. With that still highlighted click the button 'insert link' above (It is the little picture of a globe with a chain below)
    4. You are prompted to enter a url- put in the url of the Garmin activity that you want to link.
    5. press ok and you're done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

What's the plan for the 50k menoscemo? Have you a goal time? Will you be running steady pace?

1. Write what you want to link...e.g 10.8 miles.
    2. Highlight what you want to link by right clicking the mouse and rolling it over it.
    3. With that still highlighted click the button 'insert link' above (It is the little picture of a globe with a chain below)
    4. You are prompted to enter a url- put in the url of the Garmin activity that you want to link.
    5. press ok and you're done.

Smashin! Is there no end to the advice Meno?, I'll have to direct Digger here for that little sexual issue he's been having :pac:

What's the plan for the 50k menoscemo? Have you a goal time? Will you be running steady pace?

I'm thinking of heading out at a steady 8:30/mile pace for the first 40k (I did a handy enough marathon in training at that pace a few weeks ago so it should be ok) and upping the pace a bit for the last 10k if possible. Hoping to come in around 4:25...what's the plan yourself?

Judging by the people running I am gonna be lapped by several people, more than once by some.

Smashin! Is there no end to the advice Meno?, I'll have to direct Digger here for that little sexual issue he's been having :pac:

Digger hasn't been the same since you stopped inviting those meet up people to the group runs. Last I heard he has taken to running up mountains looking for a certain frenchman :pac:

Digger hasn't been the same since you stopped inviting those meet up people to the group runs. Last I heard he has taken to running up mountains looking for a certain frenchman :pac:

Just got a text from Paddy, no one showed up from that crowd and he ran on his own.

If Digger catches Julien he's got a special banana for him :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

I'm thinking of heading out at a steady 8:30/mile pace for the first 40k (I did a handy enough marathon in training at that pace a few weeks ago so it should be ok) and upping the pace a bit for the last 10k if possible. Hoping to come in around 4:25...what's the plan yourself?

Judging by the people running I am gonna be lapped by several people, more than once by some.

I'd be happy with 4:30. And not getting lapped 3 times.

I'd be happy with 4:30. And not getting lapped 3 times.

Well if you head out steady I should be with you most of the way.

This was supposed to be 12 miles but due to a couple of people getting lost and arriving late to the start having ran nearly 8 instead of 6, it got a little shortened. Enjoyable run as always if a little dramatic in places :rolleyes:, got rid of my hangover nicely!

Well done to Clara Lara and RK getting almost 19 miles in. A nice confidence booster for both!

10.8 miles total.

Weekly total: 6 days running 49.9 miles

MTD 17 days Running 169.6 miles

Always happy to oblige!! :D Cheers for today dude!

Always happy to oblige!! :D Cheers for today dude!

Sorry. I just realised that :rolleyes: was supposed to be a ;)

;)

• Advertisement

6.6 miles @ 7:55 av pace.
    Went out for an easyish run and for the first 5 miles the pace was just over 8 min/mile. Turned it up a notch for the last 1.6 miles which breezed by in 7:2x average pace without barely breathing heavily. Feeling good at the moment, and comtemplating giving Barcelona a bit of a bash, the only question will be if I'm recovered enough after this weekends 50k.

WTD: 1 day running 6.6 miles
    MTD 18 days Running 177.2 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

6.6 miles @ 7:55 av pace.
    Went out for an easyish run and for the first 5 miles the pace was just over 8 min/mile. Turned it up a notch for the last 1.6 miles which breezed by in 7:2x average pace without barely breathing heavily. Feeling good at the moment, and comtemplating giving Barcelona a bit of a bash, the only question will be if I'm recovered enough after this weekends 50k.

WTD: 1 day running 6.6 miles
    MTD 18 days Running 177.2 miles

If you race barca the week after a 50k, i hope you like pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭jimcricket

Hi meno, man your really flying it and putting in some miles. Best of luck with the 50k but sure your well prepared. Might see you in Berlin behind the 3.15 pacers, if not maybe in Dublin.

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    If you race barca the week after a 50k, i hope you like pain.

When I say 'give it a bash' i don't think I can properly race it, but maybe set a Pb (actually get under 3.30 this time). Hopefully that won't take too much out of me....besides, ican't have sarsfield rock setting a PB better than mine :pac: Anyway. I'll take nest week easy and see how the legs feel in Barca before committing to anything.
    jimcricket wrote: »
    Hi meno, man your really flying it and putting in some miles. Best of luck with the 50k but sure your well prepared. Might see you in Berlin behind the 3.15 pacers, if not maybe in Dublin.

Thanks Jim. I'll maybe try to stay with you this time ;) Well done on DCM.

Recovery run

I hadn't planned on running this evening at all, but I accidentally ate a bag of Jelly babies on the way home from work :o. I was so hyped up on sugar by the time I got home I decided I better go out and run it off.

Took it nice and handy and was surprised the pace was eevn this quick. It felt like I was going about at about 9:30/mile pace.

6 miles @ 8:53/ mile pace. Av Hr 136 (74% max).

WTD: 2 days running 12.6 miles
    MTD 19 days Running 183.2 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

8.30 is a good pace to go out at. Dont be afraid to speed up if you feel good. Would love to race it myself but bad timing. Ill be counting the laps so 50 euros and ill put you down for an extra one:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

If Digger catches Julien he's got a special banana for him :pac:

Jeez...I give a young mother, distressed at the end of a 20 mile LSR, my recovery banana and you guys turn it into something that it wasn't...So mid-life crisis of the two of you.....;)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Jeez...I give a young mother, distressed at the end of a 20 mile LSR, my recovery banana and you guys turn it into something that it wasn't...So mid-life crisis of the two of you.....;)

Hang on a minute pal, I'm a good 10 years off mid life. I'm still enjoying the first flushes of youth ;)

Work has been really busy the last two days. I was so late home yesterday i dinn't bother going out. Today was much the same but I deceided to go for a run anyway. Didn't make Tymon Park until 7:30pm, so cut the planned 10 miles a little short.

[URL="ttp://connect.garmin.com/activity/69931550"]8.3 miles[/URL] @ 8:36 av. Nice handy run. Legs very fresh.

WTD: 3 days running 20.9 miles
    MTD 20 days Running 191.5 miles

Just a recovery 4 or 5 tomorrow ahead of the race on Saturday. I'm a bit behind schedule on the mileage for the week though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Best of luck the weekend Meno. Have you decided on what you are doing for Barca or is it a case of see how the legs are after this weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Hope the 50k goes well on Saturday and don't get dizzy doing all those 5k laps.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement