Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Just a little jog this evening to test out the legs. Barring being very tired and one small blister everything seems ok injury wise.

3.6 miles @9:30 pace.

Weekly total: 6 days running 60.7 miles
    MTD 23 days Running 231.3 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

great performance in the 50k. You're making it look easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Woundedknee.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Donadea 50k

I only consumed about 4 gels and half a botle of chocolate milk. [/B]

Can't imagine that chocolate milk did you any favours during the run. 50K is short enough to get by on just carbs and electrolytes. Keep the chocolate milk for your recovery after crossing the finish line.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Nice run! Glad I never came across the marathon plan that has you doing a 50k race the w/end before it ;)

Can't imagine that chocolate milk did you any favours during the run. 50K is short enough to get by on just carbs and electrolytes. Keep the chocolate milk for your recovery after crossing the finish line.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I had it for after the race, but when I went to grab my last bottle of energy drink at the start of lap 9, someone had nabbed it, so I grabbed the chocolate milk in a moment of panic. I only took a few sips over the course of the lap but it may have caused the stitch I got on the final lap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Well done Meno great pace to hold over 50km. Rest up now for next weekend, it should feel like a warm down after yesterdays effort:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Well done Meno!! Your description feeling bad and getting all pale after the race reminded me of myself at mile 16 of the DCM :D.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

That was some running yesterday, well done. You went through marathon distance in 3:40 which in itself is very handy, it'd be a PB for me. If this turns out to be an annual event I could be tempted to have a crack at it next year .... maybe.

outforarun wrote: »
    That was some running yesterday, well done. You went through marathon distance in 3:40 which in itself is very handy, it'd be a PB for me. If this turns out to be an annual event I could be tempted to have a crack at it next year .... maybe.

Cheers yeah, we went thru marathon just under 3:40 (my garmin is measuring everything a bit short these days).
    As far as I know the intention is to run the race as an annual, commercial event. This years was the inaugural race, so it was just open to a small invite only field (and it was free for those luck golden ticket holders!!). Definately it is one to recommend and a 50k should be achievable for most marathon runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If it's being held next year I'd love to give it a go, tbh. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Cheers yeah, we went thru marathon just under 3:40 (my garmin is measuring everything a bit short these days).
    As far as I know the intention is to run the race as an annual, commercial
    event
    RACE. This years was the inaugural race, so it was just open to a small invite only field (and it was free for those luck golden ticket holders!!). Definately it is one to recommend and a 50k should be achievable for most marathon runners.
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Congrats meno, great stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Well done Niall, great achievement!

5.6 miles @ 8:40 pace.
    I had DOMs in my legs today which I didn't have yesterday, however when I got off on my run my Legs actually felt much stronger than the did 24hrs ago.

Thats february finished so I better put up a table:

Month|No. of days Runnning|Miles
    January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    Total|52/59|493.2

WTD 1 run, 5.6 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭jimcricket

Well done meno, some running. Love to see how you would go if you ever take it up seriously.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

If the legs are feeling tired, whats your plan for the last few days taper? Have you got a massage lined up or anything (not offering, just asking :p)

Aimman wrote: »
    If the legs are feeling tired, whats your plan for the last few days taper? Have you got a massage lined up or anything (not offering, just asking :p)

I don't have a plan :( just hope for the best. Doms seem to be gone today, gonna take today and friday off, run weds and thurs and do the breakfast run on saturday morning. At the end of the day Barcelona is just another long training run for Conn so i can't really afford to taper....I'll be doing that 30 miler with you 6 days after barca as well :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

I don't have a plan :( just hope for the best. Doms seem to be gone today, gonna take today and friday off, run weds and thurs and do the breakfast run on saturday morning. At the end of the day Barcelona is just another long training run for Conn so i can't really afford to taper....I'll be doing that 30 miler with you 6 days after barca as well :eek:

So Barcelona technically counts as a cut-back week?! 31 miles last week, 26.2 this week and then 30 next week... Even at an easy pace you should be well able to knock out 3:30. Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Ahh you doing the howth to greystones run bud?
    Should be good crack, nice and handy.
    Im looking forward to conn as the pace i plan on running is very easy for me and i enjoy it:D

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Ahh you doing the howth to greystones run bud?
    Should be good crack, nice and handy.
    Im looking forward to conn as the pace i plan on running is very easy for me and i enjoy it:D

Yeah I'll do that howth to greystones run. nice and handy, 5 hours on my feet, plenty of hills and a feed and a few pints at the end :pac:

• Advertisement

7.3 miles @ 8:06 av pace. (Hr151)

I Noticed that the easy pace over the first few miles was going at just over 8 min/mile. I had printed off a band earlier today for 3:25 and the pace is about 7:50/mile and I thought I may as well test out this pace for a few miles so I upped the pace for the last 2.3 miles (7:51, 7:47, 7:49). The pace feels fine.
    Will the legs hold up for 26.2 though? They felt much better today though I can still feel the heaviness in them. I'll be running into work tomorrow but after that I'll just be doing the breakfast run on saturday morning. Hopefully they are back to 100% by sunday. I have more or less decided that I may as well give the race a lash anyway.....

WTD 2 runs, 12.9 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|1/2|7.3
    Total|53/61|500.5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

7.3 miles @ 8:06 av pace. (Hr151)

I Noticed that the easy pace over the first few miles was going at just over 8 min/mile. I had printed off a band earlier today for 3:25 and the pace is about 7:50/mile and I thought I may as well test out this pace for a few miles so I upped the pace for the last 2.3 miles (7:51, 7:47, 7:49). The pace feels fine.
    Will the legs hold up for 26.2 though? They felt much better today though I can still feel the heaviness in them. I'll be running into work tomorrow but after that I'll just be doing the breakfast run on saturday morning. Hopefully they are back to 100% by sunday. I have more or less decided that I may as well give the race a lash anyway.....

WTD 2 runs, 12.9 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|1/2|7.3
    Total|53/61|500.5
    I personally would deffo give it a go if i was you. I got over the 50k i ran in a few days. Sure if you blow up so what once you give it a 100%. I did 3.25 and 3.27 wihin a week and im no faster han you tbh.

You might as well give it a lash, i have a sub 3.20 and 3.25 pace band printed off. Will probably side closer to the 3.25 pace band up to half way point and take it from there.

Oh and make sure your pace band and garmin is set to kms otherwise we will be running calculations between my kms and your miles throughout the run:p. Km pace against km markers:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Yeah I'd say definitely go for the sub 3:30. It's not a target race but sub 3:30 looks like it's there if you want it. If you start to think you won't manage it after 18 or 20 miles then ease off, no harm done (touchwood).

Oh and make sure your pace band and garmin is set to kms otherwise we will be running calculations between my kms and your miles throughout the run:p. Km pace against km markers:)

Yeah, the band is in KM and will be measured against the stopwatch and km markers. I'll still have lap pace set to min/mile though (with mile long laps) just to make sure we keep each mile at or below the correct pace. It'll be handier for me to keep all the miles below 7:50 av rather than think of pace/km.

That said, I find nowadays that if I start out at a certain pace I tend to hold it without checking the garmin much (see 50k spilts last week).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Good luck Sunday ! A pb a week after a 50k - even to attempt that is something.

A.M. 7.7 miles @ 8:46 pace. Run back into work. I was late getting going so decided to take a short cut which turned out to be half a mile longer than the usual route. This was the usual easy morning run pace but it was faster than usual and felt much handier than usual going up the hills at the end of the run.

P.M. 2.7 miles @ 8:44 pace. Imet aimman after work to get something I left in his car last weekend. I joined him for a little sneaky lap of Tymon.

Daily total: 10.4 miles

WTD 3 days running, 23.3 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|2/3|17.7
    Total|54/62|510.9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

So just 26 miles this weekend, a recovery run? Enjoy;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Best of luck meno, keep it easy for the first third, stready for the second, and go for it on the last. Sure it'll be like a walk in the park for you :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement