Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hope the body's fully recovered from Saturday's exploits. Give it hell. Leave nothing behind. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Good luck in Barca meno, and enjoy the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Best of luck memo, hope you have a great time in Barca.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Good luck - a nice relaxing PB should be there for you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I'll send you the same wishes as RK - Go n-éirí an bóthar leat - you probably don't know what that means so I'll translate... It pretty much means 'Have an awesome time in Barcelona, kick a$s and enjoy!' :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Just back from the breakfast run with RK, Macanri, sarsfieldrock, pgmcpq and racheljev. It is really balmy out there about 15ºc and the sun is splitting the trees. The run up the hill into the olympic stadium is actually quite tough, but maybe thats down to all the booze and lack of sleep last night :pac: ´Promise I´ll be a good boy tonight :p. We are going to the match tonight at 8 so i am gonna try to catch 40 winks this evening.

2.6 miles in just under 10 min/mile

WTD 4 days running, 25.9 miles

Month|No. of days Runnning|Miles
    January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|3/5|20.3
    Total|55/64|513.5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Hey - I thought you were supposed to be trying to get some sleep.:p

Now - what was it I was supposed to be doing - oh yea, Cathedral.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Just back ourselves from a wander around Camp Nou, it´s fairly mobbed up there! Hope your rucksack isn´t fatally damaged after it´s collapse ;) Enjoy the match tonight and see ya tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Meno behaving himself:pac:. Wonders will never cease.

Be good will you brother and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Good luck tomorrow man-
    From the log it seems like you could do this in your sleep!

• Advertisement

3:24:06. Delighted. I´ll put together a report when I get back to sobriety on tuesday. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

menoscemo wrote: »
    3:24:06. Delighted. I´ll put together a report when I get back to sobriety on tuesday. :p

And you made it looke easy, my wife who knows nothing of running commented on how well you looked compared to those around you, well done.

Nice one, great running

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Good man, great going and i'm sure there's more in the tank before the year is out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Great time menopause, well done;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Super Running. Definitely keep up the good work there is plenty more there to plug away at that time over the next few races. The ultra running mileage is certainly standing to you in terms of strength

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Savage! Well done! Enjoy the celebrations :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Well done Meno, and not even a goal race!

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Well done Meno
    Fair play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Super stuff menopause...You gotta run backwards in Mallow ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Well Done Menoscemo, savage running after last weekend. Two PBs in one week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done you!!! :)
    Jeez, I go away for one week and come back to PBs flying all over the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Fair play man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Well done Niall i have no doubts that you will be taking a few more minutes off that marathon time later in the year. Enjoy the piss up today yesterday was enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

menoscemo wrote: »

Congratulations great result! So these 50km tapers are the way to go then :)

Pre Race. I only ever intended to do this race as a long training run for the Connemara Ultra, especially with the Donadea 50k just 8 days before. (I learned about this back at the start of January). As a consequence in my application I put down goal finishing time as 3:30-4hr, which consigned me to a pen quite far back in the field. I stuck to my plan right up to after the 50k race, but by Tuesday my legs were feeling as good as ever so I decided I would give the race a go. The main target was getting under 3:30, but on Thursday I printed myself off a 3:25 pace bad as I felt that would be about my limit at the moment. The race was to be a freeroll: if it didn’t go well it didn’t matter. I had nothing to lose. The performance in the 50k already meant my confidence was up as regards Connemara. If I blew up, I blew up. I was carrying my metro ticket and was prepared to pull out of the race if I got injured at any time.
    As a consequence of my freeroll mentality I took a few liberties in my race preparation. I was wearing new shoes and socks. I was carrying gels in a pouch instead of my usual bottles premixed with water. I also enjoyed myself a little too much on Friday night and had a few too many to drink :p.

The race
    I went down to the start line with Rainbow Kirby and we were both very nevous. I had planned to meet Oisin, jackyback and Brianderunner prerace with a plan to go out with Jackyback, but a trip to the toilet meant I was behind time. I ended up dropping the bag and going straight to my pen about 20 minutes before the start. There was only an entrance at the back so I tried to push up as far as possible. Unfortunately I couldn’t get too far up as it was already pretty full. To my disdain, with about 10 minutes to go the pacers entered the pens from an entrance at the front of the pen, drawing hundreds of runners with them. Not only were the 3;30 pace group ahead of me but the 3;45 group too.

The first 5k were the hardest by far. I spent most of the time dodging bodies and sprinting ahead of groups and found it very hard to get into any kind of rhythm. I managed to get past the 3:45 group after a few k and by 5km I had caught the back of the 3:30 group. Despite my best efforts to keep the pace up, I was slightly behind my 3:25 target at this stage. I stayed with the group through the first water station and at 6k spotted a gap and sprinted ahead of the group. The next 5k or so I was cruising and starting to feel very comfortable. The miles were flying by at mostly 7:3x and I was getting ahead of my pace band. Between 10-20k I was aware of the fact I was about a minute up on target and made a conscious effort to slow don the pace. I saw mostly 7:4x splits for these miles. There were a few tough drags but were quickly followed by down hills and I felt I was cruising. Through halfway it was slightly downhill and the field was coming back to me. I sped up again without being aware of it. Km 20-30 was my fastest 10k so far.

The first blip came around 29k. It was really and I was aware I was sweating a lot. I had been taking a bottle of powerade every second water station, but at this moment I felt my calfs twitching mid stride. Instinctively I knew a cramp was coming but luckily I had an electrolyte tablet in my pouch. I willed the 30k water station to come faster and faster and when it finally did it was a great relief to drink my electrolyte solution. All thoughts of cramps disappeared for the rest of the race.

Kms 30-40 were pretty uneventful. Looking at the stats now I am surprised to see it was my slowest. I felt like I was flying here, but that’s probably because I was passing so many, not down to my own pace. The crowds closed into us over a few streets so the field bunched up considerably we were also running slightly uphill along cobbled streets. I guess I lost seconds due to all that, but I wasn’t too worried and took the opportunity to high 5 with the cheering kids liberally.

Km 40-finish. Suddenly I felt I was in a bit of trouble, the legs were still turning and I was passing loads of people but it felt hard. I was surprised and delighted to see a final aid station with a mile to go (I thought the one at 36k would be the last) and took the opportunity to neck my last gel and pocket two orange squares. Eating took my mind off the pain and gave me some strength. I got a shout from woddle and his wife here and it was nice to see a friendly face. Unfortunately mile 26 was my slowest mile (8:05) and the only one over 8 minutes for the whole race. I had been over a minute up on 3:25 pace and lost my sub 3:24 here :(. I was glad to see the finish when it came and wouldn’t have fancied any more miles on the day.

Below are the stats robbed from the marathon website:

Km0-5 00:24:28 (4391st position overall)
    Km5-10 00:23:36 (4087th)
    Km10-15 00:24:14 (3995th)
    Km15-20 00:24:16 (3876th)

Half Way 1:41:51 (3856th)

Km20-25 00:23:50 (3727th)
    Km25-30 00:23:55 (3487th )
    Km30-35 00:24:34 (3143rd )
    Km35-40 00:24:21 (2796th)
    40-Final 00:10:54 (2499th)

2nd half: 1:42:15 (24 second Positive Split)
    Total: 3:24:06. Av Hr 154. Av Pace: 7:44/mile

Post race much fun was had by all in the george payne depsite a power blackout. When the power came back we had perfomenaces by Macanri and Cristeb in the Karaoke to match all the great perfromances in the race itself :pac:

The plan now is to run connemara and win my bet with Sarsfieldrock by going sub 6hrs. I am down to pace 4hrs in Limerick and cork, so I am looking forward to that. At the start of june, I'll be getting down to some more tradtional marathon training for a 3:15 attempt in Berlin (probably the P&D 55-70 mpw programme). I promise there'll not be a 50k race a week before that one :D

Weekly total 5 days running, 52.1 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|4/6|46.5
    Total|56/66|539.7

Great race, especially considering the buildup you've had. That Connemara bet is looking very safe...

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Well done M....Enjoyed reading ur report and nice 2 meet up afterwards even if I unfortunately missed the lads singing their hearts out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

great report and run! Well done

• Advertisement

3.6 miles @9:10 pace just a little recovery run to test the legs. Some serious DOMS today, much worse than after the 50k race. Hopefully todays run wil have helped them in their recoery and I'm ok by the weekend.

WTD 1 day running 3.6 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|5/8|50.1
    Total|57/68|543.3

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement