Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

A savage report! Well done all around :)

You can tell us all again on a high stool in Malms Cross in a few weeks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

menoscemo wrote: »
    Pre Race. .
    As a consequence of my freeroll mentality I took a few liberties in my race preparation.

The race
    . I ended up dropping the bag and going straight to my pen about 20 minutes before the start.

Post race much fun was had by all

Well I never.......:D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Well I never.......:D;)

Now, now, leave the dirty jokes for your own Claralara's log :p

6.5 miles easy. Pace 8:34/mile. Surprised it was as fast as that, legs still not fully recovered but several times better than yesterday. I should be ok for the 30 miler at the weekend now.

WTD 2 days running 10.1

Month|No. of days Runnning|Miles
    January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|5/8|50.1
    Total|58/69|549.8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

What did my poor log do to deserve all the sullying?!

Great report and race Meno! Drinks on you in Connemara by the looks of how things are going :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

claralara wrote: »
    Great report and race Meno! Drinks on you in Mallow :D

More like!

• Advertisement

Now, now, leave the dirty jokes for your own Claralara's log :p

My log is claralara's log;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

It's true. It's in the pre-nup :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

So last week was a step back week then:) 30 miler this weekend euuugh think i will leave ultra running for a while yet.

So last week was a step back week then:) 30 miler this weekend euuugh think i will leave ultra running for a while yet.

sure you'll prbabaly do a 200mile cycle instead :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

sure you'll prbabaly do a 200mile cycle instead :pac:

No probably just a 100 this weekend:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

You have very solid consistent splits and that will stand to you in Connemara. I was not surprised by the PB. You have moved up a level in the last 6 months. Faster running on a hard surface will take more out of you than Donadea so don't overdo it at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Well done man, that was a great run. I wasn't surprised you broke the 3:30. I reckon it must help going into a race with a relaxed, if it happens it happens attitude.

claralara wrote: »
    It's true. It's in the pre-nup :)

:D.............Quick kids...Hide the pet rabbit ;)

8.4 miles @ 8:37 home from work. Had the wind in my face most of the way. Hopefully it'll be at my back on the way in tomorrow morning. Legs are about 95%, I think it took abut 3 weeks after Dublin before they felt this good, so I am defiantely improving at recovering.

WTD 3 days running 18.5

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|7/10|65
    Total|59/70|558.2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Its amazing the more marathons you do the quicker your recovery becomes. It took me a few weeks to get over my first and now its a couple of days. You would be fine for a double now if you were that way inclined.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Its amazing the more marathons you do the quicker your recovery becomes. It took me a few weeks to get over my first and now its a couple of days. You would be fine for a double now if you were that way inclined.

I'd agree with that aswell. Though, I would recommend to be cautious aswell. I was out again 2 days after Dingle, despite my ankle still being a little tender. Legs felt great. You know what happened 2 weeks later with my ankle. :pac:

. You know what happened 2 weeks later with my ankle. :pac:

You fell over on it while drunken dancing?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You fell over on it while drunken dancing?

I did not fall over. Brian is a liar! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Nice to meet you in Barca; and congrats again on a great run.
    You sure have recovered quickly, and talking about running 30miles at the weekend. That's great going, fair play.

Macanri wrote: »
    Nice to meet you in Barca; and congrats again on a great run.
    You sure have recovered quickly, and talking about running 30miles at the weekend. That's great going, fair play.

Thanks for the drinking company in the GP. All those other lightweights just couldn't hack it :rolleyes:. You're some legend for making that plane on tuesday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

I did not fall over. Brian is a liar! :pac:

I never said you did, what i said was much worse than that. :p

7.5 miles @9:20 pace Back into work this morning. Legs felt much tired than on the same run last week and the pace was much slower, but I motored up the hill at the end no problem.

WTD 4 days running 26 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|8/11|72.5
    Total|60/71|565.7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Thanks for the drinking company in the GP. All those other lightweights just couldn't hack it :rolleyes:. You're some legend for making that plane on tuesday morning.

No worries, it was a great night for sure.
    Woodle's the legend - only for him I'ld never have made that flight - that's a cert.

Yesterdays run and the tiredness of my legs had me a bit worried ahead of todays mega run. The Plan was 30 miles in 10 mins per mile (5 hours). I havent ran this slow for a while but I was keen on the idea of getting 5 hours on my feet ahead of conn and given how tired my legs are, there was not much prospect of doing this run any faster anyway. Aimman picked me up before 9am and after dropoing the car in Wallyruns house in Bray we were on the dart to howth by 9:40am. We arrived at howth about 1hour and 10 minutes later, our group now grown to 4 with the arrival of Stefan, wallyruns friend who is also doing Conn ultra for the first time. After a quick visit to the loacl pub toilets we were off by 11am, heading back to Bray :eek:

The first 10 miles or so were fine, but as we hit the south side I got dizzy and my legs were unusually heavy. Luckily Wallyruns historical guide of Irishtown/ringsend and the port area was a welcome distraction and the jaunt out to the Poolbeg lighthouse was a break from the norm. We turned back and headed through sandymount, mount merrion, booterstown, blackrock and Dunlaoghaire stopping occasionally at a shop or a tap to fill up our water bottels or grab a snack. By the time we were coming into Dalkey (23 miles) I was having my second ropey phase, the head went dizzy again and I felt a bit sick. A stop at a shop seemed to do no good because when we tried to get going again my right knee seized up. I was contemplating getting the dart back to bray at this stage, but the lads were nice enough to let me stop for a stretch and when I got going again was pain free. By now I was on my third wind and feeling much better. Most of our route had been very flat up to now, but up ahead was killiney hill and we climbed 100m over 1.5 miles here. Unusually I felt great going up (though not as good as Aimman who sprinted ahead) and by the top was sure I would finish. Now it was all downhill back to Bray bar a few bridges. We stayed with the lads up to Shankhill when Myself and Aimman broke away and sped up for the last two miles clocking our fastest two for the day at the end. For me that was 9:19, 8:45 but Aimman pushed on and went sub 8 for the last one. He was flying today! We finished up at the Royal hotel in Bray and walked a mile or so back to Wally Runs house.

All in all a lovely jaunt around the coast of dublin, taking in many sights I had never seen before. A most enjoyable day out!!

Summary: 30 miles in 4hr 57min (9:55 pace).

WTD 5 days running 56 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|9/12|102.5
    Total|61/72|595.7

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Good running M... Fair play to 2 for getting through those bad patchs... 30miles 6 days after a marathon is serious stuff.... Conn will b a doddle and the money is in the bag :)

liamo123 wrote: »
    Good running M... Fair play to 2 for getting through those bad patchs... 30miles 6 days after a marathon is serious stuff.... Conn will b a doddle and the money is in the bag :)

Yeah, 30 miles 6 days after a marathon which was 8 days after a 50k has been a tough schedule for me. Touch wood I have got through it injury free, though I'm a bit worried to see if the knee is ok in the morning.

I am looking forward to the taper now, I am promising myself that I'll only do a one or two 20 milers from here to conn. I had planned 2 races (the MSB 5k next sunday and the 10 miler in Mallow a week later) but I'll probably ditch the 5k since I haven't registered yet and could do with the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Yeah, 30 miles 6 days after a marathon which was 8 days after a 50k has been a tough schedule for me. Touch wood I have got through it injury free, though I'm a bit worried to see if the knee is ok in the morning.

I am looking forward to the taper now, I am promising myself that I'll only do a one or two 20 milers from here to conn. I had planned 2 races (the MSB 5k next sunday and the 10 miler in Mallow a week later) but I'll probably ditch the 5k since I haven't registered yet and could do with the rest.

Jesus I forget completely about the 50k.... ur an absolute animal :pac:...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Well done bud:D
    Is it 8.30 all the way in conn now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Well done lads. Was with you in spirit , though I didnt manage the 30 in the Freezing West.:D
    It wasnt the last marathon that scuppered you today, it was the GP session after;)

• Advertisement

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Well done bud:D
    Is it 8.30 all the way in conn now?

Well as far as I can go anyway. At least I know my fall back pace is about 10 min/mile if I do blow up, cos I blew up a few times today and still managed to hold that :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement