Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Hey man, best of luck for Sunday and all that!
    Almost 2,000 miles under your belt this year is a fair achievement so another quick 26.2 won't be such a big deal really! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Best of luck and enjoy the marathon. And dont forget, there is more to Berlin then a marathon, there's also WeissBier and Bratwurst, but better leave them till have the race ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Aimman wrote: »
    there's also WeissBier and Bratwurst, but better leave them till have the race ;)
    Chrissie Wellington said pretty much the same thing when asked about why she likes Roth so much :)

Good luck on Sunday :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Aimman wrote: »
    Best of luck and enjoy the marathon. And dont forget, there is more to Berlin then a marathon, there's also WeissBier and Bratwurst, but better leave them till have the race ;)

No Better man to get a nice hot sausage inside him:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Wow, Berlin time already. Year is flying in. Best of luck Sunday. Just checked out the site, impressive, Cork could learn a thing or two from it.

Enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Good luck at the weekend Niall, don't raise the bar to high now;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Good luck in Berlin :)

Hope it all goes well!

Remember, no puke allowed, and no throwing in the towel after a few miles cos your a few seconds down, dont forget to pack that Man Suit :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Have to say when I heard you target 3:10 I didnt give you much chance first time out. Though 3:15 would have been realistic. But your training has gone great and I expect a 3:09:xx from you. Go for it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Best of luck for Sunday Meno. Above all enjoy it and take it handy with all the nice beer afterwards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi Meno, hoping for great things from you on Sunday. I'm not in a position to give advice (but that never stopped me before!), but from a more reliable source:

Everyone hits a bad patch when racing a marathon. The key is to anticipate it and recognize it, so when it does happen, it is not unexpected. You know then, that it will pass. Book of P&D: 11:35, 2.6-8, verse II.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Best of luck meno, enjoy it.
    Doing a few 400s at 200m pace tonight with the club if your around :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Woddle wrote: »
    Best of luck meno, enjoy it.
    Doing a few 400s at 200m pace tonight with the club if your around :D

You are doing 400's at 200m pace? Wow that's fast ;)

I'll give it a miss, just a few easy miles tonight for me....

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

In case our paths dont cross before Sunday best of luck.... Give it socks !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Good luck Sunday, hope everything falls into place for you, 3:10 will be no problem with the training you've done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Good luck on Sunday meno, enjoy the race and the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Good luck in Berlin. Bring home that 3.09 and enjoy the beer after !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Not long now pal... You've had lots of post-race beers this marathon training schedule, but no doubt Sunday's will be the most deserved and enjoyed! Best of luck in the race; you'll nail it! :D

claralara wrote: »
    Not long now pal... You've had lots of post-race beers this marathon training schedule, but no doubt Sunday's will be the most deserved and enjoyed! Best of luck in the race; you'll nail it! :D

Cheers big ears :P
    Best of luck in Rathfarnham yourself. Reemember the first mile is fast but try to not go too fast (maybe 15-20 seconds better than goal pace). The second mile is tough, it is going to hurt and you will lose a little time but take it from me, once you get through that you WILL speed up again in the third mile. So just concentrate on digging in and getting through mile 2.

5 miles @ 8'44 av Pace. Pace was more like 9 min/mile average but 5 strides over the last half mile brought it right down. Legs feeling good tonight :).

Still a bit phlegmy which is restricting breathing a bit so I'll look for a decongestant in the chemist tomorrow before heading off. I went into Base 2 Race to get some body glide after my run. As usual I couldn't resist looking at the shoes, So I am now the owner of a pair of Mizuno Wave Musha 3 :pac: (in fairness they were half price at €45). Nice light shoe, I think they have the lowest heel to toe drop of all the shoes I have. Look forward to testing them out after Berlin.

Wtd 3 Runs 18.2 miles

Month|No. of days Runnning|Miles
    January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|25/31|198.5
    June|24/30|173.2
    July|28/31|269.4
    August|23/31|237.6
    September|18/22|162.3
    Total|210/263|1946.8

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

menoscemo wrote: »
    As usual I couldn't resist looking at the shoes, So I am now the owner of a pair of Mizuno Wave Musha 3 :pac: (in fairness they were half price at €45). Nice light shoe, I think they have the lowest heel to toe drop of all the shoes I have. Look forward to testing them out after Berlin.
    Catching up to RQ there :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'd never lower my standards for mizuno shoes. :) Despite the best efforts of a certain boardsie I have thus far managed not to purchase these ones! :pac:

I don't think she has these ones :D
    In Fairness I copied her to the Kinvaras and it was a good move as I will now be wearing them in Berlin. I can't even imagine running fast in the lunarglides anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

All the best on sunday, you'll nail the 3:09, in fact you'll get in a few mins before and have time for a beer just before you cross the line....

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Best of luck Meno. When you hit the last stretch going well, 3:09 less x:00 might be on - go for it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Best of luck Niall i reckon 3.09.xx is well within you given the miles you ve put down.

Just be prepared to hurt yourself like in a 5k race. The one thing you have is you wont blow up so stick with it even when it gets tough, dont back off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

best of luck at the weekend , keep up the postive mental attitude for the race :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

I'd never lower my standards for mizuno shoes. :) Despite the best efforts of a certain boardsie I have thus far managed not to purchase these ones! :pac:

Id never try and twist your arm :p
    Good luck with the race and nice meeting you.Hope to see them Musha's in a race soon Menoscemo ;)

2.9 miles this morning with brian from the hotel down to the start finish area and back.

Lovely morning if a little too hot. Looks like I'll be going with the Boards singlet given the weather. Now to eat, eat and eat.

Wtd 4 Runs 21.1 miles

Month|No. of days Runnning|Miles
    January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|25/31|198.5
    June|24/30|173.2
    July|28/31|269.4
    August|23/31|237.6
    September|19/23|165.2
    Total|211/265|1949.7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Hey Niall, give it socks. All the best for it and enjoy the after race beers.

• Advertisement

Garmin link here. tougghest race I've run. managed to hold pace until mile 15 then the wheels came off. By 18 I whas stopped and was looking for a metro. Gave myself a good talking to and managed to jog home in 3'26 afterwards but it was one of the tougghest thins I have had to do.

Full report on Tuesday, wifi flaky here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement