Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

liamo123 wrote: »
    Good stuff Meno... Back in business.... What up next 4 u besides pacing DCM ???

Thanks Liamo, Gonna give the racepix 5k a bash in a few weeks. I'm also gonna do the Eddie Murphy memorial race in November but take it nice and handy so as to be fresh for the half in Waterford at the start of December. I might also keep the eyes out for a 5mile or 10k race and then It'll be a case of building up the miles through the wnter for ultra season in the spring :D

How's about yourself? Targetting any of the shorter stuff any time soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

menoscemo wrote: »
    Thanks Liamo, Gonna give the racepix 5k a bash in a few weeks. I'm also gonna do the Eddie Murphy memorial race in November but take it nice and handy so as to be fresh for the half in Waterford at the start of December. I might also keep the eyes out for a 5mile or 10k race and then It'll be a case of building up the miles through the wnter for ultra season in the spring :D

How's about yourself? Targetting any of the shorter stuff any time soon?

Just ticking over atm....Got a bit lazy after Berlin......post DCM i might do Waterford and I also have to concentrate on the dreaded speedwork...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

[Got to the track and met Woddle, we couldn't find any group session so I did my own: Mile easy then 6 x 800m with 90 seconds rest. 3'01, 2'57, 3'01, 3'01, 3'03, 3'03. These felt good for the first time doing something like this in a while, faded a bit for the last two but nothing major. The plan is to build it up to doing 10 reps over the next 4 weeks and then get the speed down under 3 minutes.

Good running there. Do you have a PB for 800m?

04072511 wrote: »
    Good running there. Do you have a PB for 800m?

Nope, My Mile is 5:43. I Did a 26.9 second 200m at the end of 10 reps a few months ago. I reckon I could probably get close to 2:30, but I would probably need race conditions to bring that out of me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Nope, My Mile is 5:43. I Did a 26.9 second 200m at the end of 10 reps a few months ago. I reckon I could probably get close to 2:30, but I would probably need race conditions to bring that out of me!!

That's serious running for 200m. Your definitely wasted doing ultra's and marathons. You should go for a few of the graded meets on the track next April/May before Autumn marathon training starts again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

That's serious running for 200m. Your definitely wasted doing ultra's and marathons. You should go for a few of the graded meets on the track next April/May before Autumn marathon training starts again.

I agree, otherwise I'm going to catch up with you!

:D

Jaysus, Sub 27 is bloody fast.

I agree completely with the above. You're wasting yourself training for Ultras and Marathons. Come over to the bright side of the track. :) Bring Brian back with you!

EDIT: I didnt mean to put that stupid smiley face in the title of this post!

That's what Woddle keeps telling me, but I would just get lazy training for 200-800m. I much prefer the longer stuff, still I might try out a few graded meets anyways off no sepcific training.

BTW look at Jackyback he was running sub 26 seconds 200m during club trainings while training for an IronMan!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

That's what Woddle keeps telling me, but I would just get lazy training for 200-800m. I much prefer the longer stuff, still I might try out a few graded meets anyways off no sepcific training.

After April you should spend a month or two jsut messing around with speed and graded meets and come July start your next marathon plan.
    I reckon you'd do very well at the 200/400 and if you look at the lads on the track in Tallaght who do all the sprint training, there form and stride are fabulous, so imagine you a 26.9 200m runner with a bit of sprint training and what would you do?
    Arn't you a little bit curious :D

BTW look at Jackyback he was running sub 26 seconds 200m during club trainings while training for an IronMan!!

You'd always be adding on .3 or .4 for hand timed sprints, good going even then though. Looking forward to your 200m duel with him, if it ever happens.

Just keep up the post run strides over the winter and you'll be fine to give them a lash after Conn.

• Advertisement

You'd always be adding on .3 or .4 for hand timed sprints, good going even then though. Looking forward to your 200m duel with him, if it ever happens.

Dont forget our 400m showdown in London also. The bookies reckon the marathon has destroyed the old speed of yours and currently have you as 8/11 favourite. It may be edge of the seat stuff! :)

04072511 wrote: »
    Dont forget our 400m showdown in London also. The bookies reckon the marathon has destroyed the old speed of yours and currently have you as 8/11 favourite. It may be edge of the seat stuff! :)

Nah i'm a shorter price than that, more like 1/3. I ran 45 secs for 300m the other night at the end of the session in runners. I still got it! You'd want to be in 58 sec shape to worry me i'd say :p

Nah i'm a shorter price than that, more like 1/3. I ran 45 secs for 300m the other night at the end of the session in runners. I still got it! You'd want to be in 58 sec shape to worry me i'd say :p

Solid running.

The plan is by the time the season reaches it's climax I'll be in 58:xx shape. Early doors yet. Of course, the chances of me being able to stay in that shape come next July (Australian off season) is a different story!

Should get a 45m dual while we're at it, with both os us kitted out properly this time.

Thread has properly been hijacked at this stage. See all the banter that can be had when you come over to the track and leave all those lonely long runs behind? :)

Friday 7th October
    5 Miles recovery 9 min/mile pace. Legs felt great on this run after the speedwork the night before
    Saturday 8th October
    7.7 miles very hilly up into the dublin mountains and back. 2 miles up, 3 miles down and 1.5 back up again. 1000ft climbing in total. This was a really good workout, on some of the tougher parts of the climb it was a struglle just to keep moving and doing 10 min/mile, while on the downhills I was doing 7 min/mile while putting the breaks on. I must start introducing these runs into my regular schedule, I work Halfway up the mountains and have to go in every second saturday morning, so I plan on doing this run those after work on saturdays

Sunday 9th
    7.5 miles @ recovery pace. Legs a bit sore from yesterdays run and head likewise from last nights beer :pac:. Met up with the group in the park for some of their long run. Was planning to do about 10, but when we called back to the cars at 7.5 I was happy to call it a day, the run will serve as a recovery session and a few extar miles would have been of no added benefit.

Weekly total:7 runs 46.5 miles

Decent weeks training, 3 quality runs in there (icluding the hills). I'll be aiming to tick by on 50 mile weeks for the next while and at leat 2 quality runs per week.

Month|No. of days Runnning|Miles
    January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|25/31|198.5
    June|24/30|173.2
    July|28/31|269.4
    August|23/31|237.6
    September|22/30|200
    October|9/9|62
    Total|223/280|2046.6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Just keep up the post run strides over the winter and you'll be fine to give them a lash after Conn.

The only way Niall will beat me in a 200mtr is if he can catch me after i cross the line having completed another IronMan in Roth:)

Srly I would say you could probably go under 26secs and maybe even more with a bit of focus. I would love to have a go at a proper 200mtr race as i reckon i could do some damage but it does not really fit in with my training:)

The only way Niall will beat me in a 200mtr is if he can catch me after i cross the line having completed another IronMan in Roth:)

Srly I would say you could probably go under 26secs and maybe even more with a bit of focus. I would love to have a go at a proper 200mtr race as i reckon i could do some damage but it does not really fit in with my training:)

Anytime :cool:
    I already have a bet with Cristeb to sprint the last 200m of DCM and see who wins. Since you are pacing with us, you're welcome to join in!!

Anytime :cool:
    I already have a bet with Cristeb to sprint the last 200m of DCM and see who wins. Since you are pacing with us, you're welcome to join in!!

I can just imagine the look on our followers faces as we set off in a sprint to the line:)

I can just imagine the look on our followers faces as we set off in a sprint to the line:)

'Ba5tards' :pac:

Ye may deprive yourselves of those 'gratitude' pints!;)

Mr Slow wrote: »
    'Ba5tards' :pac:

Ye may deprive yourselves of those 'gratitude' pints!;)

Ah well then i better hang back so, cannot pass up on those "gratitude pints":)

Ah well then i better hang back so, cannot pass up on those "gratitude pints":)

We may have a "who can get closer to our target" bet if you're interested.

• Advertisement

We may have a "who can get closer to our target" bet if you're interested.

3'45s against the 4's? I'm interested. target is 3'59'30 and there'll be no waiting at the line this time ;)

3'45s against the 4's? I'm interested. target is 3'59'30 and there'll be no waiting at the line this time ;)

Yep your on. We'll discuss terms closer to the date. We should try and get as many pacers into the bet as possible, would be some craic. We must put a ceiling on it in case of blow ups :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Yep your on. We'll discuss terms closer to the date. We should try and get as many pacers into the bet as possible, would be some craic. We must put a ceiling on it in case of blow ups :)

I'm in and I intend to win

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You'll have to agree that the pace for the last bit of a mile must be within 5 seconds of your average race pace, something like that...

I'm in and I intend to win

Tenner a man at least so. 2'59'30 for you then? I'll be 3'44'30 and meno 3'59'30. Might get complicated if we have more than one for a certain band.
    RayCun wrote: »
    You'll have to agree that the pace for the last bit of a mile must be within 5 seconds of your average race pace, something like that...

Well thats what the pacers meeting is for, to agree on the small print of our bet :p

Might get complicated if we have more than one for a certain band.

It'd be a much better bet if each of the four had to hit exactly the same target on each band, total up the seconds out and it's a team loss or win!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Mr Slow wrote: »
    It'd be a much better bet if each of the four had to hit exactly the same target on each band, total up the seconds out and it's a team loss or win!

If you based that on garmin time, you could hit each split for 26.2 miles and also miss your target :)

shels4ever wrote: »
    If you based that on garmin time, you could hit each split for 26.2 miles and also miss your target :)

I'm guessing we'll base it on chip times. DCM are pretty quick so we should be able to tot it all up in McGrattans and settle the bets.

I'm guessing we'll base it on chip times. DCM are pretty quick so we should be able to tot it all up in McGrattans and settle the bets.

It gave the option at registration to receive a text when you finish, don't know if that's an option for pacers but I got my text a few mins after crossing the line last year.

• Advertisement

Monday 10th
    5.1 miles @ 7:50 pace. Only had a small window after work so got a short, brisk run in after work. HR nice and low for the pace (142)
    Hip a bit sore from saturdays hills, did a fair bit of work with 'the stick' and stretching that night to try to loosen it up.

Tuesday 11th
    1.7 mile warm up followed by 7 x 800m with 90 seconds rest at Tallaght Track. Again a bit pushed for time as I wanted to watch the match. I was hoping for 8 reps this week as I did 6 last week, but by the 5th was really struggling. I had to really talk myself into going out for a 7th but by that stage my legs were swimming in Lactic and The time had really slowed. Called it a day at that point as at least I had made some progress. Splits were: 2:59, 2:59, 3:00, 2:58, 3:02, 3:04, 3:07. I must try holding back more in the first few reps next week.
    6.2 miles total for the day

Wednesday 12th
    5.4 miles recovery. 8:58 pace (132 Av HR). This included 5 strides at the end. Hips a bit stiff again to start with but loosened out as the run went on.

I'm away to a wedding this weekend, so Im not sure If I'll get much running in, but I am planning for a 4-5 mile tempo run tomorrow evening.

WTD:3 runs 16.7 miles

Month|No. of days Runnning|Miles
    January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|25/31|198.5
    June|24/30|173.2
    July|28/31|269.4
    August|23/31|237.6
    September|22/30|200
    October|12/12|62