Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Thursday 13th
    7.2 miles including 4 @ LT pace. The goal of the LT runs is to practise sun 1'30 half pace. I plan on doing this run every fortnight and getting the LT miles up to about 7 then see if I can get the HR to drop a bit. LT miles went: 6:50, 6:49, 6:46, 6:44 HR for these miles is in the late 160's/early 170's which is a bit high.

Friday 14th
    5 miles recovery.This is way too hilly for a recovery run, but I had to get this run in at lunchtime as I was off to a mates wedding in England that evening.
    As a consequence of the baove I got no more running done at the weekend. I brought my gear with the intention of going for a few miles on saturday morning but was too hungover :o. On sunday I was back at 4pm, but the chances of running were zero.

Weekly total: 5 runs 28.9 miles

Monday 17th
    5.5 miles @8:20 pace. Winter is really here! I had to wrap up and wear a gloves and hat for the first time of the year. Felt very sluggish. I am hoping it is just the remnants of a hangover and not something else.
    I'll go for my tuesday Intervals tomorrow bu then ease off for the rest of the week as I am doing a 5k race on saturday

WTD 1 run 5.5 miles

Month|No. of days Runnning|Miles
    January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|25/31|198.5
    June|24/30|173.2
    July|28/31|269.4
    August|23/31|237.6
    September|22/30|200
    October|15/17|95.9
    Total|229/285|2080.5

Tuesday 18th
    1.7mile warm up followwed by 6 x 800m on the track (90-100seconds rest). Cut it back to 6 this week with the 5k race at the weekend, I wanted to be fresh. In past weeks I have went off at sub 3 minutes for the first few and was dying at the end. This week I held back at first and ran the last one faster. Felt much better than normal (though for some reason I switched off in the 5th rep. Times: 3:02, 3:03, 3:00, 3:01, 3:06, 2:57. The wind was fierce as I remember.
    6.4 miles in total for the night

Wednesday 19th
    I was supposed to meet Aimman for 6 recovery after work, but some of our spanish students were caught thieving in Dundrum and I ended up spending most of the evening in the police station :mad:. Didn't get home to after 10pm in the end no running. Had a bottle of wine and 2 packets of crisps for dinner to boot :(.

Thursday 20th
    Turns out the little feckers had been thieving from school as well so spent most of the day running to and forth the garda station again. I somehow managed to land the Garda duties on a colleague so left the car and ran home from work after 6.
    7.3 miles @ just under 8 min/mile. I had to stop at least 5 times to take phone calls from the guards/ colleagues, managed to take a few on the run though. Legs felt great and the pace was very easy.

At least i can now guarantee having to run the same distance back into work tomorrow morning. The race is now in doubt as I might have to put some of the little sh*ts on early flights back to spain on Saturday morning. I have a 10k race on sunday as back up if this happens.

WTD 3 runs 19.4 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|25/31|198.5
    June|24/30|173.2
    July|28/31|269.4
    August|23/31|237.6
    September|22/30|200
    October|17/20|109.8
    Total|230/288|2094.4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I think you should run the legs off the feckers and then stick them on a plane with no change on clothes on Saturday.

Send them home with a rap for stealing and not washing while away from home will make them think twice the next time.

chinguetti wrote: »
    I think you should run the legs off the feckers and then stick them on a plane with no change on clothes on Saturday.

Send them home with a rap for stealing and not washing while away from home will make them think twice the next time.

If it was up to me I would string up the little feckers and more importantly their parents too. Listening to them complain about their innocent sons and how they threaten legal action, you can really see where the kids get it from. Thankfully 3 of the little feckers are now gone and the other two will be gone next week, so hopefully the message will get out to the rest of those still here.

Friday 22nd
    7.3 miles back into work. at an easy pace. Still don't enjoy the early morning runs, but as they go, this wasn't too bad.

Saturday 23rd. Race Pix 5k, finally a good race and a PB :D

The build up for this one was not as nervy as usual. Slept well on friday night and got up early to have a cup of coffee and an apple. Took a motillium too and hoped that this would mean I would have no stomach issues for once. Thankfuly that tactic seems to have worked.
    Met Gerard at registration and had a nice warmup and a few streches with him. His plan was to run 20 minutes. I was hoping for a PB (19:28) but I didn't trust the fecker much so I said I'd keep an eye on him :P. Met Ecoli and a few others at the start too. I knew the course was flat but there was a fierce wind, meaning each of the 3 laps would have a fast half and a slow half. I made a decision not to look at the garmin, except at the splits as the pace was going to be very up and down.

Went out fast, maybe too fast, passed 1k in 3:43 and one mile at 6:07. My lace came loose just before the mile and I thought 'disaster', decided to push on anyway and only stop if the shoe started coming off, Thankfully it didn't (though one fecker did step on the lace at about 2 miles and nearly caused a fall). Passed 2k in about 7:33, so I was slowing but holding PB pace. After this it became a struggle but I dug in. I think 3k came and went in about 11:28, so I knew that if I held 4 min/k pace I should get a PB, but the legs were screaming. Still though, I was mostly passing people- most of whom insisted on telling me my lace was opened :rolleyes:. I knew their game, they wanted me to stop so they could gain a place :pac:. Passed 4k at about 15:25 I think. 4 min for a PB, I dug really deep and passed a few people, (even though I felt like I was really slowing) including the 4th Lady, I could feel them, coming back at me near the end again so I sped up on the finishing straight and took the last corner tight to keep them behind. As I turned the corner I was pleasantly surprised to see 19:0x on the clock, I knew then that the PB wa a cert and produced a sprint. I crossed the line with 19:13 on the clock. The garmin shows 19:14, so I'll wait for the official time before deciding on my time.
    Anyway delighted with the time. I havent had a good race for a while, so that gives me confidence. The garmin spilts show I did slow a bit, but not as much as I thought at the time. It's nice to know I am significantly faster now than I was in the summer (after a period of specific 5k training).

Summary: 5k in 19:14

Met A load of boardsies back at the reg hall after including, JBski, sideswipe, TRR, shels and WB Yeats. I think most agreed it was a good race and one for the calendar next year.

5 Miles total for the day

WTD 5 runs 31.7 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|25/31|198.5
    June|24/30|173.2
    July|28/31|269.4
    August|23/31|237.6
    September|22/30|200
    October|19/22|122.1
    Total|232/290|2106.7

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Great stuff meno, well deserved.
    Time to invest in those tri laces we talked about a few weeks back :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Nice one Niall.

Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Good man I will need to put another few seconds on you at my next 5k outing in a few weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Great time, well done!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Hey Meno good to meet you earlier and congrats of the new PB, savage time.

• Advertisement

sideswipe wrote: »
    Hey Meno good to meet you earlier and congrats of the new PB, savage time.

Best of luck in New York. Hope to see you at a long run soon.

Official time 19:12. I'll take that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Well done savage time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Solid running Niall. We will have you sub 19 in no time as there atleast 10 secs to be made on that course on a calm day even though there was some shelter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Well done meno, congrats on the PB, good to see you back on form. Think I seen you cross the line, didn't get a chance to say hello, had to run off fairly quick.

13 miles @ 9:03/ mile. Under D'pops instructions I did this one at planned pacing pace for next monday, taking in a good few miles of the marathon course. Nice to have Aimman as company for this one. We stopped of at the end to watch the charity 10k in parkwest and even got a free gait analysis at the elverys lorry (I am still perfectly neutral with no pronation :D) while waiting for the leaders to come around. I was wearing my Mushas today and the elvery's folk said they suited my gait but that I shouldn't do more than 10k in them because they don't have much support. I told them I had just done 13 miles :rolleyes:

Litlle bit disappointed I didn't run the race now as It seems I likely would have got a podium place and a voucher, but in fairness the race was prety shambolic.

Weekly total 6 runs 44.7 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|25/31|198.5
    June|24/30|173.2
    July|28/31|269.4
    August|23/31|237.6
    September|22/30|200
    October|20/23|135.1
    Total|233/291|2119.7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done on the PB Fagan! Savage time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done on the PB... And with a lace open!!

Good going Fagan. That lace and the wind didn't stop ya and will you make it a sub 19 in 2012 or before the year is out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Well done on the pb, i would have had you odds on for sub 19 at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Maybe Fagan and The Artful Dodger will have a smack-down to see who goes Sub 19 first! :D

Monday 24th.
    I intended doing a few miles and then shopping but I heard about a deal in Dundrum so I went over and picked up a pair of Adizero Ace for €40, just before the shopping centre went under water :pac: here are the little beauties: 41498.jpg

I then got caught in traffic in the torrential rain/floods so by the time I got home it was very late and I couldn't be bothered running.

Tuesday- 800m intervals at 5k pace
    I had been getting a bit frustrated with these in weeks past as I had been really struggling to get past 6 reps. Talking to a few guys at the weekend, they advised taking 2 minutes rest instead of 90 seconds. Saturdays race also gave me a better Idea of 5k pace so i decided to do them closer to actual fitness and see if that helped me finish them strong.

I met up with ecoli for a 3.1 mile warm up (8:17 pace) then got into the reps. They felt much better than before and very controlled. The times went 3:02, 3:03, 2:59 (short), 3:02, 3:02, 3:03, 3:02, 3:01 I felt very fresh at the end and even joined a few lads for a two 400's (86, 83). Details here. Really please with this session. It feels like I am making some progress :D

New shoes felt great except they are quite narrow and the stitching on the inside of one of the adidas stripes has ripped the skin on the inside of the foot (just as the mushas did). I have since removed the offending stitching so hopefully the shoes are now good. I'll test them again later in the week, but am considering wearing them for DCM

Total for the day: 9.3 miles

Weekly total 1 runs 9.3 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|25/31|198.5
    June|24/30|173.2
    July|28/31|269.4
    August|23/31|237.6
    September|22/30|200
    October|21/25|144.4
    Total|234/293|2129
    Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Well done on the pb, i would have had you odds on for sub 19 at this stage.

I am happy to take any PB for now, hoping that I will start kicking on and the improvement curve goes on the up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Well done on the PB, meno. After you tie your laces tuck the ends securely under the laces over the tongue of the shoe. IIRC, you have previous with this !

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Well done on the PB, meno. After you tie your laces tuck the ends securely under the laces over the tongue of the shoe. IIRC, you have previous with this !

Nope, I have no previous with this, just forgot to double knot the right foot as I always do.

I actually double loop the laces around the top hole in the shoe, which means they are alway tight around the ankle. The good thing about this is that even when the knot unties, the lacing does not become loose as there is very little give. That means there is no danger of the show getting loose or coming off, the only danger is from someone stpping on the lace-ends.

If I am not explaining myself correctly, look at this:

Brian has a price of 1/8 of you purchasing another pair of runners before the DCM ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

menoscemo wrote: »
    New shoes felt great except they are quite narrow and the stitching on the inside of one of the adidas stripes has ripped the skin on the inside of the foot (just as the mushas did). I have since removed the offending stitching so hopefully the shoes are now good. I'll test them again later in the week, but am considering wearing them for DCM

:confused:

RayCun wrote: »
    :confused:

Haha, I know it sounds mad, but they are so pretty Ray!!

No seriously, I had he same issue with the Mushas (I must have a wide left foot) and removed the offending mizuno sign and have wore them several times since with no issue. The adidas feel really good so with the offending stitching removed they should be fine.

I have to say that's why I really like Nikes, they are quite wide and the 'Flywire' means there is no stitching to rub off the foot. Same with the Kinvaras.

He gave his runners the snip, Ray. He's previous on this:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

menoscemo wrote: »
    The adidas feel really good so with the offending stitching removed they should be fine.

They probably will be, but do you really want to find out with 90 minutes still to run? I'm sure you have lots and lots of shoes that are just as pretty :pac:

• Advertisement

A conversation about ''pretty runners''.... Now that's my kind of thing! ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement