Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

menoscemo wrote: »

2011 Month|No. of days Runnning|Miles|2012 Month|No. of days Runnning|Miles
    January|28/31|256.3|January|2/2|17.5
    February|24/28|236.9|||
    March|23/31|221.9|||
    April|22/30|176.4|||
    May|25/31|198.5|||
    June|24/30|180.6|||
    July|28/31|269.4|||
    August|23/31|244.6|||
    September|22/30|200|||
    October|26/31|187.5|||
    November|28/30|210.1|||
    December|24/31|194.3|||
    Total|297/365|2576.5|||

That's a pretty table, there's only two n's in running though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Mr Slow wrote: »
    That's a pretty table, there's only two n's in running though :)

Wrong, there are 3 ns in running.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Show's how much attention anyone pays to his log when he's had it like that all last year and no one noticed.

Show's how much attention anyone pays to his log when he's had it like that all last year and no one noticed.

Now that's just mean. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Sometimes the truth hurts :pac:

• Advertisement

:D

Sure the text is just so enthralling people are too distracted to notice the typo.

Wrong, there are 3 ns in running.

Very good, but there aren't 4!!!

I don't like this new format where there's a weeks worth of running crammed into one post.

Down with this sort of thing!

Very good, but there aren't 4!!!

I don't like this new format where there's a weeks worth of running crammed into one post.

I'm sorely tempted to write HTFU on your thread in the main forum :p but I think Ray would ban me.

I'm sorely tempted to write HTFU on your thread in the main forum :p but I think Ray would ban me.

Funny fcuker!

I've all the resolve in the world and you know it, body is just broken!

Funny fcuker!

I've all the resolve in the world and you know it, body is just broken!

It'd be funny though :D

• Advertisement

It'd be funny though :D

Agreed! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

That or thank you :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Re Ultra training and weekly mileage: how do these weekly totals sound to you for a 14 week plan (bearing in mind that we just want to cross the line in 5:24.59): -
    52 / 53 / 57 / 55 / 46 / 60 / 60 / 50 / 40 / 70 / 55 / 40 / 35 / Race week
    Sufficient, insufficient or otherwise?! Please amend as you think fit and I'll re-jig the spread sheet. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

claralara wrote: »
    Re Ultra training and weekly mileage: how do these weekly totals sound to you for a 14 week plan (bearing in mind that we just want to cross the line in 5:24.59): -
    Sufficient, insufficient or otherwise?! Please amend as you think fit and I'll re-jig the spread sheet. :)

She breaks 4 hours in DCM and now she wants to do an Ultra in 5:24:59 - I told you her Math has me driven to subtraction :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

digger2d2 wrote: »
    She breaks 4 hours in DCM and now she wants to do an Ultra in 5:24:59 - I told you her Math has me driven to subtraction :rolleyes:

Oh....whoops!

digger2d2 wrote: »

DCM was a soft time for her, now she's being realistic!;)

claralara wrote: »

Looks good, but if that's just crossing the line, you'll be beating me :(

Does the step back week (46 miles) coincide with Raheny? I'm guessing the 70 mile week coincides with the 30 miler? If you do that you'll be well set for getting close to 6 hours. I know you both want to just finish in one piece, but don't seel yourselves short either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

If you do that you'll be well set for getting close to 6 hours. I know you both want to just finish in one piece, but don't seel yourselves short either.

I actually think we should be targetting 5:59

You don't need to be doing 70 mile weeks for the Conn Ultra.

Nope, but it helps.
    And it's only the one peak week so it should be fine.

• Advertisement

Nope, but it helps.
    And it's only the one peak week so it should be fine.

Depends on the person. Some people would take weeks to recover from a 70 mile week if they're not able for it. There's no need for it, it's fairly risky especially that close to the big day.

Depends on the person. Some people would take weeks to recover from a 70 mile week if they're not able for it. There's no need for it, it's fairly risky especially that close to the big day.

Indeed.
    Before starting to train for Conn last year the most I had done was 55 in a week, yet I put in several 70 mile weeks in that training cycle and I felt it really helped me. The key was to keep most of the miles very easy.

But no, it is not totally necessary. Lot's of solid 50-60 mile weeks will do too. Most important is to get the long runs in at the weekend, if you need a few rest days during the week take them and don't get too concerned about hitting 70 (or any other number).

If you find that the training is too tough don't be afraid to take a step back every 2-3 weeks instead of every 4 weeks either.

But if everything is going fine there is no harm getting in a 70 mile week (or two).

Well you see, The old way my every word was being over analysed. For example on sunday My legs were in bits and I really was feeling it. If I had logged that run up on it's own you would have been on here saying I was overtraining, needed to hold back etc etc. Combining sundays bad run with Mondays good one meant that you couldn't do that :D.

So you promise not to over analyse and I'll get back to updating more regularly, deal?

Just for you:

Tuesday 3rd
    Session with the club.
    Massive turnout for this one, nearly 20. It was too windy to do intervals on the track so we headed over to Tymon to do 8 x 600m with less than 1 min rest :eek:. The odd numbered ones were downhill but slightly into the cross wind and the odd number uphill and slightly with the wind.

I was asked to lead out the lead group of 4 for the first one even though they are way faster. Stuck with them for 3 but was struggling to han onto them on 4 and 5. The 5th they upped the pace and I tried to hang onto halfway and thereafter the legs turned to jelly and I slowed badly. I hung back and led out Group B for the last 3 and ran them more evenly-paced and comfortable. Got smart on the last one and sprinted off after about 50m opening a large gap of about 30m, but the legs turned to jelly with about 100m to go and I almost got caught :o. Still a good session. Nice to push the pace after a few weeks of eating boozig and slogging out the miles.

Reps went: 2:13, 2:14, 2:14, 2:18, 2:20, 2:22, 2:20, 2:15

8.8 miles total

WTD 2 days running 18.3 miles

2011|No. of days Running|Miles|2012 |No. of days Running|Miles
    January|28/31|256.3|January|3/3|26.3
    February|24/28|236.9|||
    March|23/31|221.9|||
    April|22/30|176.4|||
    May|25/31|198.5|||
    June|24/30|180.6|||
    July|28/31|269.4|||
    August|23/31|244.6|||
    September|22/30|200|||
    October|26/31|187.5|||
    November|28/30|210.1|||
    December|24/31|194.3|||
    Total|297/365|2576.5|Total|3/3|26.3

If I had logged that run up on it's own you would have been on here saying I was overtraining, needed to hold back etc etc.

As if :rolleyes:!

It's only Tuesday. Do your running weeks start on Sunday?

It's only Tuesday. Do your running weeks start on Sunday?

Fixed, I had added up the mileage wrong too :rolleyes:. MUST STOP DRINKING :pac:

Fixed, I had added up the mileage wrong too :rolleyes:. MUST STOP DRINKING FURNITURE POLISH:pac:

FYP;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

No 80 would be better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Meno, update everyday will ya. If you do, i might even throw up a log here of all my secret training runs.

Personally 70 miles weeks sound daft to me. Time on your feet more than miles in the legs would be the thing. 50 miles would be plenty i would think but i don't do ultras so what would i know.

• Advertisement

chinguetti wrote: »
    Meno, update everyday will ya. If you do, i might even throw up a log here of all my secret training runs.

Deal!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement