Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Good lad but injuries come to us all, its a matter of how bad they are. When you're doing the mileage you are, you probably are at a higher risk than people like myself who do the odd mile or two:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Friday
    I was a broken man all day. I could barely put on my socks in the morning as I couldn't put much weight on my right leg :eek:. Everyone was asking me all day in work if I was limping. I headed out for a short recovery run after work jelly legged. If this didn't go well I was going to ditch the weekend LSRs. I planned a short inner loop of tymon so I could stop if necessary and be no more than 2 minutes walk to the car. I strapped up the knee tight and headed off at 10:30 pace :o feeling like I might fall over at any point. After half a mile I was getting an annoying pain and took off the knee strap, and discovered it was causing it. The run then got better and sped up. I got my confidence back as I was more certain that i wasn't going to fall over every step :pac:. Ended up doing 4 150m strides at the end. This was definitely a run in which I felt a million times better after the run than I did before. A regeneration run ( I prefer that now to recovery run).
    5 miles @ 9:20

Saturday
    Group run with CL, Digger, Digijem, Belcarra (and friend) sunflowerro and others. Nice turnout :D Still felt a bit nervous about this one. The legs were still stiff and tight. I decided from the off I was going to stick with the group pace however slow and not push on. I had a few twinges of the knee but only temporary. Felt good by the end, I could have made it 20 but cut it short as I had to get to work.
    16 miles @ 9:18

Sunday
    Met with Digger, CL, Oisin 1178 (who had already done 10k) and Sean in clontarf at 1pm. Had a great nights sleep (despite the wine :o) and felt a new man. I knew I was much better now as I had no problem standing on my right leg or putting on socks and shoes :D. Felt like someone had given me new legs. ( I suspect I had a virus or something, because some of the feelings of stiffness etc I was getting were just not normal). The first 5 miles were straight into the wind along the coast. We picked up Macanri after 4ish and hit sutton at 6 miles. We got to the base of a big hill at 7 as CL, Digger and sean turned back for a lovely flat 7 miles back downwind :rolleyes:. The hill didn't turn out to be too bad and the downhill after was nice. A quick lucozade in howth and we headed back to the cars. Miles 8-20 were pretty much all 8:30/mile to bring the av pace down. Really enjoyed this run and feel like I am back in full swing now (touch wood)

20 miles@ 8:48 (HR 142ish ignoring spikes)

Weekly total:5 days running 54.4 miles

2011|No. of days Running|Miles|2012 |No. of days Running|Miles
    January|28/31|256.3|January|13/15|138
    February|24/28|236.9|||
    March|23/31|221.9|||
    April|22/30|176.4|||
    May|25/31|198.5|||
    June|24/30|180.6|||
    July|28/31|269.4|||
    August|23/31|244.6|||
    September|22/30|200|||
    October|26/31|187.5|||
    November|28/30|210.1|||
    December|24/31|194.3|||
    Total|297/365|2576.5|Total|13/15|138

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

I've just had to re-read your post. You're injured/unwell and you've run 36 miles the last two days.
    You're a tad on the crazy side!!

jcsmum wrote: »
    I've just had to re-read your post. You're injured/unwell and you've run 36 miles the last two days.
    You're a tad on the crazy side!!

All's well that ends well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

ecoli wrote: »
    Double runs can have alot of benefits such as

* Boosting your metabolism
    * Allowing your body to recover more sufficiently
    * Allowing your body to be able to handle more mileage due to better recovery
    * Allow you to add more quality to your running while still getting the miles in
    That's all true and the experience of running a long distance in training while tired from the very start stands to you on the day.
    However there is also a very high injury risk in running them. I recall from the mentored ultrarunning thread last year that Mick Rice is not a fan of them for this reason.
    Your personal injury history and whether you are carrying niggles that could degenerate into an injury is the best guideline as to whether to run them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Ah how does two long runs of 36 miles in two days make it that you're taking it easy?

I'm not having a pop at you as you know what you can and can't do and how you are feeling but your goal date is 1st April and taking a rest day in January might have been the wiser option on a long term scale.

You've loads of time for double lsrs but the injury may flare up, go away and then come back with a vengance closer to the event and then you'ld be in trouble. Will you be smart and had a rest day boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Niall i know you are a resiliant Northern fvcker:) but take it handy man and listen to your body. I might be down in Dublin next week if you fancy hooking up for the easy part of my run in the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Niall i know you are a resiliant Northern fvcker:) but take it handy man and listen to your body. I might be down in Dublin next week if you fancy hooking up for the easy part of my run in the park.

The easy part of the run? Who are you Mo Farah? Last time i checked there wasnt much between you and Meno :p

Yeah myself and Frank should be doing a long run on Saturday if that suits? If it's during the week let me know as I plan about 8-10 @ 7:30/mile pace at some stage during the week (maybe tuesday evening?)

@ Chinguetti I know you think I'm mad but I was feeling perfect today and the run went fine as a result. Physio said the knee was basically fine on wednesday and told me to 'continue as normal' and I guess he knows what he is talking about.

The Jelly legs on Thursday/Friday must have been caused by some kind of infection/illness, but I only came to that conclusion today when It all cleared up so quickly. I initially thought it may have been caused by the intervals on Thursday night (but I find that strange as I had been doing intervals regularly and didn't find thursday's to be particularly tough).

The easy part of the run? Who are you Mo Farah? Last time i checked there wasnt much between you and Meno :p

Yeah the last head to head there was 10 seconds/mile difference ;)

• Advertisement

Lol i was more thinking Niall would not fancy doing 6.50pace in the middle of an extra long run whilst in Ultra training. Wind up merchant:)

Lol i was more thinking Niall would not fancy doing 6.50pace in the middle of an extra long run whilst in Ultra training. Wind up merchant:)

I wouldn't mind actually, sher it's just a slow tempo for me ;)

menoscemo wrote: »
    Yeah myself and Frank should be doing a long run on Saturday if that suits? If it's during the week let me know as I plan about 8-10 @ 7:30/mile pace at some stage during the week (maybe tuesday evening?)

Ah right i am down in Dublin next Sunday and thought you might be out for a run. I have a long progression run with the first hour easy and then picking up the pace for 50mins after it.

Ah right i am down in Dublin next Sunday and thought you might be out for a run. I have a long progression run with the first hour easy and then picking up the pace for 50mins after it.

That should work out fine too. Should be doing the second long run then and no harm in a bit of company. Keep an eye on the group training thread and get in touch on friday/saturday.

That should work out fine too. Should be doing the second long run then and no harm in a bit of company. Keep an eye on the group training thread and get in touch on friday/saturday.

Ok will drop you a text.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Dont mind them niall, if anything you didnt do enough miles today:D

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Dont mind them niall, if anything you didnt do enough miles today:D

If you hadn't gotten that 6.2 miles in before the run, we could have thrown on an extra loop at the end to make up the full distance :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Catching up with logs. Fingers crossed you've navigated your way past those niggles and twinges. I know they think I'm crazy at work. I was saying how I was resting up for a few days because of a sore left knee, I mentioned that I suspected it was partially caused by the stop-start nature of my running over the last month or so. Or in other words my knee was sore because I wasn't running regularly and often enough.

outforarun wrote: »
    Catching up with logs. Fingers crossed you've navigated your way past those niggles and twinges. I know they think I'm crazy at work. I was saying how I was resting up for a few days because of a sore left knee, I mentioned that I suspected it was partially caused by the stop-start nature of my running over the last month or so. Or in other words my knee was sore because I wasn't running regularly and often enough.

Yeah fingers crossed everything seems to be fine now. No stiffness or swelling on the knee the last two nights which is the first for the last week or so.

Monday 16th
    5 miles Recovery jog (9:20 pace). Some residual tiredness in the legs but no pain or niggles

Tuesday 17th
    Steady Run: 8.4 miles @ 7:34 pace.
    I've decided to introduce a secon qualityish run into the week (tuesday or thursday depending on when I do my club session). The idea is to get a bit of steady pace. I am doing Blackpool Marathon 3 weeks before Conn so if conditions are good (not too windy) I'll be expecting a PB. Just going to Aim for sub 3:20 pace for the next few weeks to see how it feels. This is probably not optimum MP but I will not be tapering for Blackpool and don't want it to take too much out of me.
    Anyway run went fine, felt better for the last 3 miles when I settled into the run. Legs a bit stiff generally but muscles feel strong. Forgot my HRM, would have liked to see those stats.

WTD 2 days running 13.4 miles

January|28/31|256.3|January|15/17|151.4
    February|24/28|236.9|||
    March|23/31|221.9|||
    April|22/30|176.4|||
    May|25/31|198.5|||
    June|24/30|180.6|||
    July|28/31|269.4|||
    August|23/31|244.6|||
    September|22/30|200|||
    October|26/31|187.5|||
    November|28/30|210.1|||
    December|24/31|194.3|||
    Total|297/365|2576.5|Total|15/17|151.4

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Best of luck with your goals for the year! Have to ask, are you doing the mid week runs as progressive? Decided to try it myself this time round as only did the long w/end run that way last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

I am doing Blackpool Marathon 3 weeks before Conn so if conditions are good (not too windy) I'll be expecting a PB. Just going to Aim for sub 3:20 pace for the next few weeks to see how it feels. This is probably not optimum MP but I will not be tapering for Blackpool and don't want it to take too much out of me.

Shouldn't you be aiming for sub 3'19 to pace 3'45 in DCM this year? My slot will be free i'd imagine.

That 3.19 is not set in stone, if you got close to it you could easily pace 3.45. The problem is that it is getting so popular to pace Dublin that guys well under 3.15 are offering to do it.

opus wrote: »
    Best of luck with your goals for the year! Have to ask, are you doing the mid week runs as progressive? Decided to try it myself this time round as only did the long w/end run that way last year.

I have done most that way alright. Mostly first half easy with a group and second half much quicker. I'm trying to at least make sure the last few miles are the quickest of the runs
    Shouldn't you be aiming for sub 3'19 to pace 3'45 in DCM this year? My slot will be free i'd imagine.

Yeah, that's a minimum reqirement if I give Blackpool a lash. 7:30 pace should get me 3:17:xx. The (loose) plan If I feel good would be to push on in the second half to get 3:15ish.

Wednesday
    Lunch Time
    Planned a recovery run but met a teacher going out for a run so I joined him. I was hoping to keep the route as flat as possible (which is difficult where I work) but he brought me up a 500ft Climb to the Hell Fire club then a steep rapid descent through trails in Masseys wood :rolleyes:. Nice Run. I appear to have broken the World record for my first mile with a 2:39 miles (HR 125) :D5 miles total
    P.M.
    A proper recovery run this time. 5.2 miles on the flat @9:30 pace.

10.2 miles for the day

Thursday
    Track session again. We did the 12 x 400m with 1 minutes restsagain. I was a bit nervous about this as I went out with the fastest group last week and fell apart after 7 laps. I got conned into going with them again by the coach but it went much better this week. After a slowinsh first rep behind the group (87) I hung with them for the rest even lead out the last lap. Wind was very strong this week so the times were about a second per lap slower than last week for the same effort:
    Reps were: 87, 84, 86, 84, 83, 85, 85*, 85, 85, 84, 85, 83
    *missed a lap on my garmin again by hitting lap without hitting start :rolleyes:.
    No Jelly legs on the cooldown next week. More evidence that I must have had some kind of virus last week.

8.1 miles total

WTD 4 days running 31.7 miles

January|28/31|256.3|January|17/19|169.7
    February|24/28|236.9|||
    March|23/31|221.9|||
    April|22/30|176.4|||
    May|25/31|198.5|||
    June|24/30|180.6|||
    July|28/31|269.4|||
    August|23/31|244.6|||
    September|22/30|200|||
    October|26/31|187.5|||
    November|28/30|210.1|||
    December|24/31|194.3|||
    Total|297/365|2576.5|Total|17/19|169.7

Friday
    Just a gentle recovery run after work
    5.6 miles

Saturday
    Was landed with working for a few hours on saturday morning which put me out of the group run in the park. Decided to make the most of the situation and ran 7.3 miles into work on empty (8:50 pace, all uphill).
    I had a sandwich left in the work fridge on friday but some greedy fecker had nabbed it, so after 3 hours working I headed back home at 1pm with only a coffee and a chocolate bar consumed for the day.
    The run back was downhill at first but into the teeth of a gale force wind and icy rain. I tagged on a loop of tymon to add up the miles.
    12.7 miles @ 8:25 pace

20 miles total for the two runs.

I wore the HRM for both runs but the readings are totally random. The best I can make out is that I had a few miles around 144 HR around the middle of the second run.

Sunday
    Met up with Aimman and Oisin11178 in clontarf for another 20 miler. We took on the hill at Sutton then turned right into more hills before finally dropping into Howth. Lost Oisin11178 to injury in the hills so myself and Aimman plodded back through the wind to Clontarf. I tried to crack the whip on Aimman who was fading a bit so I sped on for the last 2 miles clocking 8 mins/mile into the wind. Felt fresh and strong.

20 miles @ 9:20 av pace. The HR readings seem correct for the first 10 miles (about 133 av) but bizzarely after 10 miles the readings start fluctuating between 200 and 120 :rolleyes:

Weekly total 7 days running 77.3 miles

This is my highest mileage total ever by 4 miles. I am really pleased especially because it contains two quality sessions (400 intervals on thursday and pace run on tuesday). I also finish the week feeling really fresh with little stiffness. Next week will be somewhat of a drop back week. I will likely run Raheny and am looking forward to it.

January|28/31|256.3|January|20/22|215.3
    February|24/28|236.9|||
    March|23/31|221.9|||
    April|22/30|176.4|||
    May|25/31|198.5|||
    June|24/30|180.6|||
    July|28/31|269.4|||
    August|23/31|244.6|||
    September|22/30|200|||
    October|26/31|187.5|||
    November|28/30|210.1|||
    December|24/31|194.3|||
    Total|297/365|2576.5|Total|20/22|215.3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

I wore the HRM for both runs but the readings are totally random. The best I can make out is that I had a few miles around 144 HR around the middle of the second run.

The HR readings seem correct for the first 10 miles (about 133 av) but bizzarely after 10 miles the readings start fluctuating between 200 and 120 :rolleyes:
    Hi Meno, I changed the battery in my HRM last week and it seems to be more accurate since. Might be worth a try.

Savage running lately btw.

neilc wrote: »
    Hi Meno, I changed the battery in my HRM last week and it seems to be more accurate since. Might be worth a try.

Savage running lately btw.

The Battery is brand new. I already changed it. I expect a few spikes at the start of runs, but recently they are happening more at the end of the runs. I'm going to look into getting a polar strap. I hear you can put the garmin transmitter (the middle bit with the battery) on it and get more accurate readings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Try getting rid of one of those extra layers...shave :D

runners are slightly to small on me i reckon, causing havoc on my feet plus my cold really ****ed me up going up the hill to howth. Glad today is over. Managed 22.5 miles and im in ribbons now:D

• Advertisement

I should mention to the readers that Oisin had done 10 before he met us and was planning a sneaky 30 miler :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement