Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

I just checked my stats and I had ony 100% Max spikes for the first two miles, then settled down after that, no more spikes.

Was a great run today, those hills were savage. Great training for the HOTW in April. I'll unwillingly do them again soon.

Fair play for picking up the pace in the last couple of miles, I didnt have much left in me at that point, but at least I managed the pace a bit longer than yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Monday recovery
    3.6 miles @9:15 pace. The plan was 6 but I wasn't feeling it so quit after 1 lap. This is a step back week anyway so need for extra mileage. HRM messed up again, a steady 130ish for the first half and 180+ for the second half of the run.

Tuesday Steady Run
    9.1 miles @ 7:30 pace (150 av HR). I did last tuesdays 8 mile loop with an extra out and back added on to up the distance. I was determined to get a good HR reading on this as I want to get a feel for an easyish marathon pace, so i dunked the HRM in salty water before putting it on. That appears to have done the trick and the mild evening meant plenty of sweating. The result is a very steady 150 bpm reading throughout the run which shows this pace is easily achievable for a marathon, in fact I can probably drop 5-10 seconds per mile without too much stress. I have to say the first 4 miles of the run were into the wind and the percieved effort was higher than the HR suggests. The last 5 miles felt very easy.

The plan is to do only easy runs the rest of the week before Raheny, so no club intervals on thursday

WTD 2 days running 12.7 miles

2011|No. of days Running|Miles|2012 |No. of days Running|Miles
    January|28/31|256.3|January|22/24|228
    February|24/28|236.9|||
    March|23/31|221.9|||
    April|22/30|176.4|||
    May|25/31|198.5|||
    June|24/30|180.6|||
    July|28/31|269.4|||
    August|23/31|244.6|||
    September|22/30|200|||
    October|26/31|187.5|||
    November|28/30|210.1|||
    December|24/31|194.3|||
    Total|297/365|2576.5|Total|22/24|228[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

I have to stop reading your log, I feel like a lazy sod in comparison, where are you getting your energy from?
    Well done:D

Marthastew wrote: »
    I have to stop reading your log, I feel like a lazy sod in comparison, where are you getting your energy from?
    Well done:D

10 days ago was a whole different story but someone appears to have given me a new set of legs :D
    What's your plan for Raheny?

menoscemo wrote: »
    10 days ago was a whole different story but someone appears to have given me a new set of legs :D
    What's your plan for Raheny?

I may have to head to the same shop you got your new legs in soon:)

I'm doing my two LSRs tomorrow and thurs in order to freshen up the legs for Sunday, I don't want to make a holy show of myself. PB is 34.59 from race series last summer, I'd happily take 34.58;) but I've been doing so many slow miles recently, actually it will be nice to push myself.

How about you? Quick few laps of Howth Head before you join us for 5 miles in under 30 minutes? And then head off and run another twenty miles?;)

• Advertisement

I may have to head to the same shop you got your new legs in soon:)

I'm doing my two LSRs tomorrow and thurs in order to freshen up the legs for Sunday, I don't want to make a holy show of myself. PB is 34.59 from race series last summer, I'd happily take 34.58;) but I've been doing so many slow miles recently, actually it will be nice to push myself.

How about you? Quick few laps of Howth Head before you join us for 5 miles in under 30 minutes? And then head off and run another twenty miles?;)

Ah no way. I'll be doing no long runs this week at all really. Might do 10 easy on saturday and If I'm feeling up to it I might do 10 after the race on sunday (You are welcome to join for that).
    My PB is 32:50 from Raheny last year though I went through 5 miles in Dunshaughlin last june in 32:30. McMillan gives me 32:04 based on my Half in Waterford so I guess the Aim is 31:59.

Wednesday
    Easy/Recovery run home from work.
    7.3 miles @ 8:40 pace Run started out pleasant if cold but the weather turned nast very quickly. Lashing rain and win meant I had to put away the glasses which made it hard for me to see the pavement in the dark which made for running through a fair few puddles. Last 2 miles were particularly nasty as I ran headfirst into the westerly wind with hailstones straight into my face :o. Landed home soaked to the bone with the face frozen off me.

Thursday
    Morning: 7.3 miles back into work at 9:23 pace. I know it is uphill but the pace is ridiculous. I wanted to go faster but the legs wouldn't have it. I admire all those runners who do brisk runs, even speed sessions in the early AM because I seem incapable of even breaking a 9 minute mile. Legs felt stiff and creaky.
    Evening 5 miles@ 8 min/mile after work. There is still a very stiff wind which I hope is gone by sunday. This run felt effortless, a complete contradition to this morning, legs felt relaxed and loose :confused:

WTD 4 days running 32.3 miles

January|28/31|256.3|January|24/26|247.6
    February|24/28|236.9|||
    March|23/31|221.9|||
    April|22/30|176.4|||
    May|25/31|198.5|||
    June|24/30|180.6|||
    July|28/31|269.4|||
    August|23/31|244.6|||
    September|22/30|200|||
    October|26/31|187.5|||
    November|28/30|210.1|||
    December|24/31|194.3|||
    Total|297/365|2576.5|Total|24/26|247.6

My Current running streak is back up to 15 days, matching what it was a fortnight ago before the niggle which kept me out for a few days. But for that I'd be on a 32 day streak....still can't complain, I'm well on course for my biggest ever mileage month, I should pass that milestone by sunday with 2 days to spare...

Where/how far are you planning on running after the race on Sunday? Joe has to do his LSR so he was planning on running home but he'd probably like to get some miles in with you. He has exhausted my limited amount of running knowledge and I'm sure he'd love the chance to pick up some tips from you.
    I'll be heading home to the kids after the race. I've had a nice easy week and my legs are happy

Where/how far are you planning on running after the race on Sunday? Joe has to do his LSR so he was planning on running home but he'd probably like to get some miles in with you. He has exhausted my limited amount of running knowledge and I'm sure he'd love the chance to pick up some tips from you.
    I'll be heading home to the kids after the race. I've had a nice easy week and my legs are happy

Nothing fancy. I was just thinking of maybe running 5 miles in one direction and then coming back again.

Easy week? Have you not just knocked up 30 somthing mile in two days?

Nothing fancy. I was just thinking of maybe running 5 miles in one direction and then coming back again.

Easy week? Have you not just knocked up 30 somthing mile in two days?

I know, it's crazy what I consider an easy week now:)
    Will we try and pick a location after the finish where we might catch you? I haven't done this race before so I've no clue of the layout.
    Joe and I usually wait on the left hand side as you exit after drinks etc, would that work?
    If we don't catch you Sunday I'll see lots of you as you whizz by me in Donadea

• Advertisement

I know, it's crazy what I consider an easy week now:)
    Will we try and pick a location after the finish where we might catch you? I haven't done this race before so I've no clue of the layout.
    Joe and I usually wait on the left hand side as you exit after drinks etc, would that work?
    If we don't catch you Sunday I'll see lots of you as you whizz by me in Donadea

There's coffee and biscuits after the race in the GAA Club. I'll be getting those before heading back out. I'm sure I'll see you before the race anyways...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Best of luck in the Raheny 5M today. Haven't run in a whole week now, its been a hectic one. Hoping to get back into the routine tomorrow. Think you have made a big leap ahead of me in the 1000M thread now, :o Might have to knock out a 100M week to catch up, lol.

Aimman wrote: »
    Best of luck in the Raheny 5M today. Haven't run in a whole week now, its been a hectic one. Hoping to get back into the routine tomorrow. Think you have made a big leap ahead of me in the 1000M thread now, :o Might have to knock out a 100M week to catch up, lol.

Some things are more important than a few runs eamonn. Sounds like you had a tough week. NO Long runs for me this week either so I'll be hoping to get a super long one in next saturday if you're interested...

Friday
    5.5 miles easy/recovery (8.42 pace). Just a juant around tymon after work.
    Saturday
    11.3 miles @9.27pace just a little shakeout of the legs before the race today. Nice run with the boards LSR crew.

Sunday
    Raheny 5
    I was nervous for this as usual. My PB was 32.56 from this year last year and I wanted a vast improvement. McMillan gave me 32.04 from the half in waterford so the goal was sub 32. The plan was to go out for the first mile in 6.20 and hold the pace (the previous 2 years I had done the first mile at that pace and faded spectacularly.
    I got a good position near the front and eased into the start. I still was doing low 6 pace for when I checked after about 500m so concentrated on relaxing. The first mile clocked in 6.14 as I started cutting through the field of people who had sprinted off. Into the second mile and the pace remain 6.1x as I passed shed loads of runners. I felt relaxed. As I turned the corner at 1.7 miles to head towards the sea I checked the pace and saw 6.30 average for the mile :eek:) I couldn't understand it as I felt like I was speeding up. Kept the pace and the mile clocked at 6.24 :confused:. (It turns out that the garmin lost signal at the turn and draws a straight line cutting out part of the course- hence my over all distance was 4.97- I reckon I really did this mile in about 6.14)
    Onto mile 3 and it was playing on my mind about the pace dropping so I just concentrated on digging in and decided not to look at the garmin again until 4 miles. I felt however like I was struggling as most of mile 3 was flat/uphill and into the wind. Passed the 3 mile marker and the caller called out 18.50ish which I knew meant I was still well on for sub 32. (turns out I clocked the mile in 6.16). I lost concentration here for a while as I was trying to do the mental arithmetic in my head, I relaxed the pace a bit. I copped on after half a mile and pushed again. I had a glance of the watch as we turned up the hill before 4 miles and saw 6.1x pace for the mile, for the first time I was convinced that the guy at 3 miles was right and I was on for sub 32. 4th mile finished with a good bit of hill and I slowed to a 6.21. I saw at the marker that I only needed a 7 minute mile to go sub 32 and was delighted, so i didn't push up the hill, just eased up it and glided home to the finish in a 6.16 * mile. I was not totally wrecked crossing the line I must admit, I probably left a few seconds on the course today but am delighted with the result nonetheless.

5 miles in 31.32 a PB by almost 90 seconds.

*I reckon the real splits were 6.14, 6.16, 6.16, 6.21, 6.26 as the last mile is obviously short due to the lost signal earlier.

PM
    10 miles @ 8:54 pace. Drove back to terenure after the race and joined digger and claralara for a few laps of their local route. Felt good throughout, a abit hungry by the end.

WTD 7 days running 64.1 miles

January|28/31|256.3|January|27/29|279.4
    February|24/28|236.9|||
    March|23/31|221.9|||
    April|22/30|176.4|||
    May|25/31|198.5|||
    June|24/30|180.6|||
    July|28/31|269.4|||
    August|23/31|244.6|||
    September|22/30|200|||
    October|26/31|187.5|||
    November|28/30|210.1|||
    December|24/31|194.3|||
    Total|297/365|2576.5|Total|27/29|279.4

so 10 miles above my record monthly mileage with 2 days to spare :D. Tempted to push for a 300 mile month:pac:

A good month overall!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Super running meno, well done!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Great job meno, well deserved but why are you not down as Tallaght?

Woddle wrote: »
    Great job meno, well deserved but why are you not down as Tallaght?

No idea. I definitely put myself down as tallaght and was wearing my singlet. A proud tallaght man :pac::cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

No idea. I definitely put myself down as tallaght and was wearing my singlet. A proud tallaght man :pac::cool:

Yeah you would have been on the first page of 3 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Great run today man... Well impressed with the extra 10 later on :)

• Advertisement

liamo123 wrote: »
    Great run today man... Well impressed with the extra 10 later on :)

Bigger picture :D I was struggling to keep up with claralara for the last few miles of that one :o

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Bigger picture :D I was struggling to keep up with claralara for the last few miles of that one :o

So are we taking bets yet as to when the Epic Chicking Of Digger is to happen? :cool::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

So are we taking bets yet as to when the Epic Chicking Of Digger is to happen? :cool::pac:

Has that not already happened ;)

Connemara?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

5 miles in 31.32 a PB by almost 90 seconds.

Congrats, great run! We got lucky with the weather in Waterford but sounded like there was no letup further north.

opus wrote: »
    Congrats, great run! We got lucky with the weather in Waterford but sounded like there was no letup further north.

It wasn't too bad, just a few puddles to be avoided!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Great running meno.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Great running meno.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

More puddles during the 10 miler this evening ;) Well done again today!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done again yesterday bud. And thanks for the 10 mile company - I don't think I could have held on for that second loop on my own. The pain of the hunger for those last couple of miles was worse than the pain of the race!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement