Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant not paying

Options
  • 02-11-2009 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Snazzy_Chazzy

Hi Gang. OK heres my situtation. House mate LOVELY girl. Moved in August paid Month in advance all AOK. Odd evening cooks me the odd meal. Allways asks if i need anything in the shop. BUT has now no job and keeps telling me she is owed money and will pay next week then next week then next week. Got 400 last week said she would pay more asap.
    I am to the pin of my collar and really need that money. Is it a bad idea to tell tennants your relying on their payments and that you are tight for money. It is after all a type of business agreement so should one tell their customer they are tight for money??? I was thinking to say that I am broke (which i am) and use this as a platform to say pay up or get out. Or is this admitting a weakness to your tenant. Hence they will tell the other tenants in the house as well?! Your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Hi Gang. OK heres my situtation. House mate LOVELY girl. Moved in August paid Month in advance all AOK. Odd evening cooks me the odd meal. Allways asks if i need anything in the shop. BUT has now no job and keeps telling me she is owed money and will pay next week then next week then next week. Got 400 last week said she would pay more asap.
    I am to the pin of my collar and really need that money. Is it a bad idea to tell tennants your relying on their payments and that you are tight for money. It is after all a type of business agreement so should one tell their customer they are tight for money??? I was thinking to say that I am broke (which i am) and use this as a platform to say pay up or get out. Or is this admitting a weakness to your tenant. Hence they will tell the other tenants in the house as well?! Your thoughts?

I think you need to tell her - I had a similar situation with a company late on payments - eventually after 2months I went into them - explained that I needed the money and am reliant on them paying - I got my money in a lump sum (€9K) and was able to pay off the people I had to borrow from.... lucky for me I had people I could borrow from - that knew I was good for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I've lived with people like her. It will never get better. She is a child in an adult's body so she doesn't understand her responsibilities. As you are seeing, she has turned her financial problem into your problem. She carries on like nothing is wrong.

You have to kick her out.

Couple of questions:

How much is the deposit?
    How much does she owe you?
    Is she a tenant or a licensee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

AARRRGH wrote: »
    I've lived with people like her. It will never get better. She is a child in an adult's body so she doesn't understand her responsibilities. As you are seeing, she has turned her financial problem into your problem. She carries on like nothing is wrong.

You have to kick her out.

Couple of questions:

How much is the deposit?
    How much does she owe you?
    Is she a tenant or a licensee?

Jeasus holy christ, she lost her job not robbed a bank. I seriously wouldn't want to be depending on the social welfare to keep the wolf from the door. She could be waiting on dedundancy, dole payments or whatever. These things take time to sort out. Of course she should have savings but as the OP has demonstrated, not everyone is as organised as they should be. If the OP did a proper background check before he took her in (as in references, bank statements etc) then it shouldn't be a problem to cut the girl some slack.

On the same count it's hardly her fault either that the OP is to the pin of his coller.

If I was the OP I'd be trying to ensure that she getting her ass down to the social welfare / community welfare office and looking for some money and finding out her entitlements. And I would be telling her your suitation (you have a mortgage and leave it at that) also but christ I wouldn't be kicking her out on the street just yet.

stepbar wrote: »
    Jeasus holy christ, she lost her job not robbed a bank. I seriously wouldn't want to be depending on the social welfare to keep the wolf from the door. She could be waiting on dedundancy, dole payments or whatever. These things take time to sort out. Of course she should have savings but as the OP has demonstrated, not everyone is as organised as they should be.

On the same count it's hardly her fault either that the OP is to the pin of his coller.

If I was the OP I'd be trying to ensure that she getting her ass down to the social welfare / community welfare office and looking for some money and finding out her entitlements.

I have to disagree.

We all know she could get the rent from somewhere, whether this be a loan from her parents, or a withdrawal on her credit card. Therefore - because she isn't doing this - it is fair to say she thinks it is ok to not pay her rent.

I've lived with people for 12 years and I've seen this 5 or 6 times. What the OP is seeing is just the beginning...

I have to disagree.

We all know she could get the rent from somewhere, whether this be a loan from her parents, or a withdrawal on her credit card. Therefore - because she isn't doing this - it is fair to say she thinks it is ok to not pay her rent.

I've lived with people for 12 years and I've seen this 5 or 6 times. What the OP is seeing is just the beginning...

You have no clue what her suitation is or what her background is. The OP hasn't given us enough information to make that judgement. TBH, I don't really feel overly sorry for the OP given his own greedy nature - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61913314#post61913314.

• Advertisement

You have no clue what her suitation is or what her background is. The OP hasn't given us enough information to make that judgement. TBH, I don't really feel overly sorry for the OP given his own greedy nature - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61913314#post61913314.

Do you think rent is optional?

No, of course you don't. :)

So the girl should have paid her rent. End of story.

We both know she can get the money from somewhere - parents, friends, overdraft, CC, etc.

The OP should not be the one who has to suffer because of the girls problems.

PS Her other post is totally irrelevant. The fact that she's a landlord should not taint your opinion of this particular situation.

Do you think rent is optional?

No, of course you don't. :)

So the girl should have paid her rent. End of story.

We both know she can get the money from somewhere - parents, friends, overdraft, CC, etc.

The OP should not be the one who has to suffer because of the girls problems.

PS Her other post is totally irrelevant. The fact that she's a landlord should not taint your opinion of this particular situation.

Do we huh?

The fact she's a landlord unfortunatly does taint my opinion. Loosing your job ain't a crime but being overly greedy..... well it depends on your opinion of course.

Do we huh?

The fact she's a landlord unfortunatly does taint my opinion. Loosing your job ain't a crime but being overly greedy..... well it depends on your opinion of course.

Well you probably shouldn't be posting so if you can't be unbiased or are unable to give an unemotional opinion. :pac: Keep your landlord bashing to another thread.

Back on topic: Yes, I believe the girl can get the rent from somewhere. As stated, I have been in the OPs situation many times. It depresses me to say there are a very large percentage of people out there who simply don't understand their responsibilities. Rent has to be paid on time and in full. It is not optional.

Well you probably shouldn't be posting so if you can't be unbiased or are unable to give an unemotional opinion. :pac: Keep your landlord bashing to another thread.

Back on topic: Yes, I believe the girl can get the rent from somewhere. As stated, I have been in the OPs situation many times. It depresses me to say there are a very large percentage of people out there who simply don't understand their responsibilities. Rent has to be paid on time and in full. It is not optional.

O ok..... Here's my "unemotional" opinion.

How do you know she can get the rent from "somewhere"? Where exactly has this been stated?

Would "somewhere" include rent allowance? For which there's a waiting period at present, correct? What do you propose she does in that case?

O ok..... Here's my "unemotional" opinion.

How do you know she can get the rent from "somewhere"? Where exactly has this been stated?

Would "somewhere" include rent allowance? For which there's a waiting period at present, correct? What do you propose she does in that case?

We all have family and friends. Most of us have credit cards. If someone really needs to get a couple of hundred together to pay their rent, they can do it.

Rent is not something you pay whenever you can afford it. As an adult you have to make sure you have the money there each month.

It's unfortunate the girl lost her job, but that should not be the landlord's problem, it should be the tenants problem. At the moment the tenant is making it the landlord's problem.

I believe that is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

how about the girl lives within her means. she's lost her job, so she can't afford the rent, so she should move out to cheaper accommodation or move home and deal with the social welfare from there. there's no need for the landlord to suffer because the tenant is, no matter how much the rent is, or whatever the status of the landlord is.

We all have family and friends. Most of us have credit cards. If someone really needs to get a couple of hundred together to pay their rent, they can do it.

Rent is not something you pay whenever you can afford it. As an adult you have to make sure you have the money there each month.

It's unfortunate the girl lost her job, but that should not be the landlord's problem, it should be the tenants problem. At the moment the tenant is making it the landlord's problem.

I believe that is wrong.

Once again, you're creating an "ideal" world scenario where family and friends are ten a penny. The "somewhere" bank doesn't cut it to be honest as you're making the fanciful assumption that A) this is always an option and B) everyone has access to an endless amounts of credit or credit in the first place.

Secondly, I've never said that rent is optional. But thankfully we have a social welfare system that should prevent suitations like what the OP is proposing (i.e. thinking of ditching the tenent after a grand total of 3 months!!!) 3 months FFS :rolleyes: The OP has created his own problems, in truth.

And anyhow, lastly, the OP hasn't given us enough information to work on and decide whether he's correct or not. It's very easy to make assumptions when you (or me for that matter) have no idea what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

indeed, she should pay up or get out

rent is not some optional thing you may or may not pay

But thankfully we have a social welfare system that should prevent suitations like what the OP is proposing (i.e. thinking of ditching the tenent after a grand total of 3 months!!!) 3 months FFS :rolleyes:

We live in a harsh world. If you can't afford your rent, you shouldn't expect your landlord to be charitable.

That's the way the world is, and I have no problem with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

The OP is not a charity, Stepbar. She's leasing a room in her house because she needs the money! She is perfectly entitled to ask this girl to move out if she's taking the p1ss.

However, she has made some effort to get her rent up to date. I would give her maybe 2 weeks to sort out the rest of the money, be it from her parents or credit card or getting an emergency loan from the social welfare.

As a matter of interest, how long would you let someone live in your house without paying their rent, stepbar?

We live in a harsh world. If you can't afford your rent, you shouldn't expect your landlord to be charitable.

That's the way the world is, and I have no problem with that.

Ah jeasus :rolleyes:

The world's harsh but you don't have to be a cnut either.

It's not being a cnut.

The OP isn't her friend. She's certainly not her mammy. She's her landlord.

It's purely business.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

which is what someone who doesn't pay for what's been provided usually is!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Once again, you're creating an "ideal" world scenario where family and friends are ten a penny. The "somewhere" bank doesn't cut it to be honest as you're making the fanciful assumption that A) this is always an option and B) everyone has access to an endless amounts of credit or credit in the first place.

WHO CARES if she is having a hard time living in the real world?? If she doesnt have the money to pay for the house then she needs to get out of it. Its you living in the dream world stepbar.

And I fail to see how the landlord is greedy either? She provides the room, the tenant pays money for this commodity.. thats how it works no? Is it because she owns three other apartments that you think this tenant should get her room for free? Do explain because Im genuinely baffled :confused:

eth0_ wrote: »
    The OP is not a charity, Stepbar. She's leasing a room in her house because she needs the money! She is perfectly entitled to ask this girl to move out if she's taking the p1ss.

However, she has made some effort to get her rent up to date. I would give her maybe 2 weeks to sort out the rest of the money, be it from her parents or credit card or getting an emergency loan from the social welfare.

As a matter of interest, how long would you let someone live in your house without paying their rent, stepbar?

Well entitled absolutely. However, would you throw someone out if they were waiting on rent allowance to come through? I certainly wouldn't. What would that achieve?

Putting a time frame on it is like asking how long a piece of string is. I'd "hope" that an experienced landlord would have the brains to suss this out based on the suitation put in front of him or her. And if that means throwing the person out, then so be it.

Sure you could be a cnut about it.... Some people are. Thankfully some people have still some shread of common sense left and don't resort to "pressing the red button" (for the want of a better phrase) at the first sign of trouble.

• Advertisement

It's not being a cnut.

The OP isn't her friend. She's certainly not her mammy. She's her landlord.

It's purely business.

You don't cut your nose off despite your face either do you?

Well entitled absolutely. However, would you throw someone out if they were waiting on rent allowance to come through? I certainly wouldn't. What would that achieve?

Sorry - who said she was waiting on rent allowance? For all you know she might not have enough stamps on to even get the dole.

And even if she is waiting on rent allowance, she can go down to the social welfare and ask for a crisis loan, or ask her parents.

Don't suppose you recently lost your job and are a bit behind on rent on a room you're renting, stepbar? :P

I've lived with people who had a similar attitude as the girl who is living with the OP: "I'll pay the rent when I can".

It has never had a happy ending for me.

eth0_ wrote: »
    1) Sorry - who said she was waiting on rent allowance? For all you know she might not have enough stamps on to even get the dole.

2) And even if she is waiting on rent allowance, she can go down to the social welfare and ask for a crisis loan, or ask her parents.

1) Well hasn't my point been all along that we don't know exactly what's happened as the OP hasn't provided us with enough info to make a decision? Hasn't it?

2) I've suggest already that the OP do this if that be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

If a friend was really hard up and needed a place to stay – I wouldn't put a time frame on how long they had. But if it was a lodger I'd have to be strict. Rent is accumulating every day and if days turn into months, complete payment will be very hard to catch up on.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

BUT has now no job and keeps telling me she is owed money and will pay next week then next week then next week. Got 400 last week said she would pay more asap.
    Next week never comes. What will she tell the other tenants? That you're a soft touch and can get away with not paying their rent?
    Secondly, I've never said that rent is optional. But thankfully we have a social welfare system that should prevent suitations like what the OP is proposing (i.e. thinking of ditching the tenent after a grand total of 3 months!!!) 3 months FFS :rolleyes: The OP has created his own problems, in truth.
    The OP is creating the problem by not being firm with the tenant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 marmalade3

At the end of this recession, after all the job losses, house repossessions, credit card jailings, and negative equity that we will all have to live with in one way or another - the only thing that is really important is how we dealt with people DURING the recession and if we can live with ourselves if we did not behave well towards other people.

For the love of God ..... give this girl a break. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

marmalade3 wrote: »
    At the end of this recession, after all the job losses, house repossessions, credit card jailings, and negative equity that we will all have to live with in one way or another - the only thing that is really important is how we dealt with people DURING the recession and if we can live with ourselves if we did not behave well towards other people.

For the love of God ..... give this girl a break. :)

Being out of pocket because you lose a jobs sucks.
    Being out of pocket because someone else lost a job sucks more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 marmalade3

Agreed.

But if you can cut her a little more slack, you'll have great luck in your life. What goes around comes around. :rolleyes:

Advertisement