Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of contract - Upgrade or jump ship?

• 02-11-2009 9:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭

To make a long story short - I'm now out of contract with meteor (have an E51 at the moment) but I'd love a new phone. I'm tempted to get an iphone but the o2 price plans are less than attractive IMHO! (Should I hold out till Vodafone offer the iphone?) I can upgrade and stick with Meteor (who's service I'm more than satisfied with) and get a free/subsidised phone or jump ship to another network?

Any advice as to what model I should go for? Crucially I'd like a phone that makes web browsing a nice experience! Camera, music player, bla bla bla are secondary concerns. (Although I love the E51, when it comes to browsing I'm not a massive fan).

Any adive appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Would the htc hero interest you? Its available on meteor now, apart from that the 5800 is probably the best internet phone.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

hi,

I am similar to yourself -had an old style nokia, an ok phone for the basics but need to view web pages more now and proper web pages.

Music and camera are second to tell the truth.

After looking at an upgrade with o2 -the pre, iphone or 5800 - i decide to go over to meteor (tomorrow actually) to the HTC hero.

has all I need and a good price plan - e30 bill pay for calls and 250gb surfin (only need web pages out side of work 3 days a week.)

hope this helps.

k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭Compudaro

Thanks lads, just looking at the meteor site and it says the HTC Here is "coming". Can you actually go into a shop and get it?

Compudaro wrote: »
    Thanks lads, just looking at the meteor site and it says the HTC Here is "coming". Can you actually go into a shop and get it?

Think its available from today, site hasnt been updated yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I picked one us today. Pretty impressed with it so far. Great for internet use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

Davy wrote: »
    apart from that the 5800 is probably the best internet phone.

No offense intended mate, but your joking right? I'd rather use my old Nokia 1680 for internet! 5800 was too tacky a device and way over-rated imo!

Why not a E63 or E71, would suit your needs and are on Meteor :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 eurojedward

Have you heard about the new sony satio?

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_satio_(idou)-2683.php

Not sure when its out in ireland but it should be before Christmas. anyone's guess what network it'll be out on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

It's out at the moment.

I said the 5800 going with the op's comment about the iphone, same form factor etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 eurojedward

rizzee wrote: »
    It's out at the moment.

What network(s) is it on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

+ 1 for htc hero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 sml68

EPM wrote: »
    I picked one us today. Pretty impressed with it so far. Great for internet use

whats the price plans with the Hero?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭Compudaro

I should havd mentioned that my other half has an iphone so would that make it more advantageous to go that route or should i just go for the hero?Any final advice before I hit the meteor store in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

Just incase if you decide to go for Nokia 5800 then you have the Option of Opera Mini and Opera Mobile ( Just released today) and they are great. they also have N97.

Hero is a great ph, and soon to be getting Andorid 2.0 so prob i will go for htc hero.

Iphone for web browsing is not that fun Imho.

+1 for Htc hero.

Advertisement