Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terabyte Hard Disks - Your Recommendations:

Options
  • 02-11-2009 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm planning on purchasing several 1 or 1.5 terabyte hard drives for my NAS in the near future and I'd be grateful if I could get some feedback with regards to makes and models that I should consider and also of those that I should avoid.

In the past I've had a bad experience with a Western Digital drive which died on me and which contained some imnportant files. Are WD any better these days?

Basically, I'm looking for The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly of terabyte hard drives.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Samsung Spinpoint F3 seems to be the be all and end all at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭great

+1 to the F3,
    I have had my 1tb F3 for the past 2 weeks and its brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

As the last two posters said F3 are the way to go and have had great reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

I want the F3's Babies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I have 3x f1's, can't fault them either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I have 3x f1's, can't fault them either

Same, they are great drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

+1 for Samsung. I have had bad luck with WD in the past aswell, switched to Samsung and not one problem.

Just ordered a 1.5TB Samsung EcoGreen for my NAS Box, they run at 5400Rpm so are quieter and use less power. Heard good things....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

From my personal experience, Samsung F1's are golden. Also the F3 is showing some very impressive results in synthetic and real world benchmarks. Great price on them too !

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

how come i've never seen komplett.ie on this forum? and i'm a serial lurker :D

I have 2 f1's in raid 0 on my media pc and its as good as my two raptors in raid

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

I actually had a lot of problems installing my Samsung 1TB drive HD103UJ. For some reason, BIOS/Windows Vista wouldnt recognise it. I flashed the BIOS still nothing, checked jumpers, power. I had to search and download a Samsung HDD tool to get the HDD recognised.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

+1 on the f1.

also, i'd like to give a noteworthy mention to the Western Digital Caviar TB series. They too have never steered me wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

I'm glad that komplett are reading this forum, they might get a good insight as to what the upgraders and builders want.. and also how much business goes to hardwareversand and their 'PC configurator'..

Anyway, I second the F3, read review recently, its not just reliable, its actually extremely fast

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

jonny72 wrote: »
    I'm glad that komplett are reading this forum, they might get a good insight as to what the upgraders and builders want.. and also how much business goes to hardwareversand and their 'PC configurator'..

+1
    I wish more stores tuned in, like the way on XS all the watercooling providers answer questions, its really handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

requiem1 wrote: »
    how come i've never seen komplett.ie on this forum? and i'm a serial lurker :D

I have 2 f1's in raid 0 on my media pc and its as good as my two raptors in raid

Not to run this thread off topic, but we have always lurked here, but have never been allowed to post until recently. And when we do post it will not be in a shill-tastic way. We are here just like any normal poster, to offer advice and suggestions :) And even to answer questions if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Rezident

+1 for the Samsung F1. Very good value and fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

Looking to upgrade my system in the near future and wasnt even thinking of how much of a difference good hard drives can make so this thread is getting me wondering

Id like a fast hard drive for os and maybe some other apps, SSD or Raptor im not too sure yet, maybe leaning towards raptor atm due to problems ive heard with ssds having low life times and some issues with certain systems which I dont want to have to deal with in the future after paying that much money.

And then two F3's in raid 0 for games and storage etc. Would i be better off forgetting about the SSD/Raptor and just getting the two 1tb F3's for everything including OS, would that be even as near as fast as SSD/Raptor or would the SSD/Raptor be in totally different league?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Thanks for the feedback, everybody. Much appreciated.
    From the replies it looks like it's a case of Samsung F3's for the win. :D

As I said in my original post I have had a bad experience with a Western Digital drive in the past where I lost some important files and I just wouldn't be happy putting my trust in WD again.

My opinion on this matter was reinforced when I heard Steve Gibson of www.grc.com fame say "I never buy Western Digital....." when asked what make of hard drive he himself used.

The quote from Gibson above occured during one of his 'Security Now' podcasts with Leo Laporte while they were discussing the findings of a study which Google had undertaken into hard drive reliability.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/18/massive-google-hard-drive-survey-turns-up-very-interesting-thing/

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Advertisement