Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any disruptions Friday 6 November?

• 02-11-2009 9:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭

Are any public transport services likely to be disrupted by the protests this Friday?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭dsane1

Anyone hear anything ? Drivers don't seem to know ,they said they're waiting for word from unions .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭one2one

Where are the protests taking place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I contacted Dublin Bus and they said contact them again Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

The impression I`m getting is that any stoppage (in Bus Atha Cliath terms) will be of a mid-morning type,lasting approx 2 hours.

I have a feeling that either the Unions are going to have to impose a 3 line whip or else go down the "Off Duty staff encouraged to participate" road.

I feel in my water that it will be the latter :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Can someone fill me in? I've been out of Ireland a while and haven't seen any publicity.
    What's planned for Friday, and by whom?
    Good chance i'll be trying to get back to Dublin from Damascus that day...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Seeing as it's not actually a strike per se on Friday, I presume any employees rostered to work with a degree of interest in the travelling public will not skive off to attend the marches. This being CIE/BE/IR, I presume we can expect major disruption. Marches are due to start at 14.30 IIRC, so any stoppage may affect evening rush hour. I've been taking train / bus all week but gonna drive Friday anyway.....

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

Seeing as it's not actually a strike per se on Friday, I presume any employees rostered to work with a degree of interest in the travelling public will not skive off to attend the marches. This being CIE/BE/IR, I presume we can expect major disruption. Marches are due to start at 14.30 IIRC, so any stoppage may affect evening rush hour. I've been taking train / bus all week but gonna drive Friday anyway.....

I think you'd be better off showing some gratitude to the only Section of society which is fighting the Banks/ Builders/ Government coup d'etat. They are at least doing something to stop all of us workers being fleeced. I wasnt invited to the feast, but am now expected to pay for the bill ... NOT !!
    Or maybe you represent one of the aforementioned vermin, if so at least have the honesty to declare your interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

Tigerbaby wrote: »
    I think you'd be better off showing some gratitude to the only Section of society which is fighting the Banks/ Builders/ Government coup d'etat. They are at least doing something to stop all of us workers being fleeced. I wasnt invited to the feast, but am now expected to pay for the bill ... NOT !!
    Or maybe you represent one of the aforementioned vermin, if so at least have the honesty to declare your interests.

What? Do u even know wat you are talking about

Dear Big Syke

Yes I do. Now, do you have a specific question to which you would like an answer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

Dear Big Syke

Yes I do. Now, do you have a specific question to which you would like an answer ?

Yes how are you stopping "us workers being fleeced"

• Advertisement

Please go to the kiddie's forum or something. The unions are not fighting any coup - they are simply trying to protect their members pay packets which the govt cannot afford to pay. And no, I am not 'vermin' - I am a public sector worker (but not permanent or secure) who will be happy to take a pay cut if I get to keep my job. Given that my wife, who worked in the "capitalist vermin" private sector has lost her job I'm the only one paying the mortgage now and feeding our child. Not that the unions will care if i lose my job..... BTW this is OT - start a new topic if you wish to continue.

Dear Big,

We are being 'encouraged' to seek the perpetrators of this crime among ourselves. Viz "lets all bash the Civil Service etc". The Unions are trying to stop us turning on ourselves and helping us identify the real Criminals, namely the aforementioned Bank/Builder/Government cabal.

My advice is; dont listen to IBEC propaganda, be wary of the media and their message. Dont let this develop into a civil war among us, while the real criminals ( legally.. so keep your eye on the Dail ) steal our futures via NAMA etc.

We are being turned into indentured slaves for the next x generations. Think about that, and who is stealing your future.

I am sorry for your personal situation. However, if you want to cure an illness, first identify the real cause.

If you cannot see that the theft and indenture of the Nation's future is not a coup d'etat then you need to open the lids a bit more.

The Unions at least are trying to form a rump opposition to this theft.

I am sorry for your personal situation. However, if you want to cure an illness, first identify the real cause.

If you cannot see that the theft and indenture of the Nation's future is not a coup d'etat then you need to open the lids a bit more.

The Unions at least are trying to form a rump opposition to this theft.

I would suggest that if you think the unions are opposing anything other than a reduction in their pay, it is perhaps you who needs to open their lids.

I would suggest that if you think the unions are opposing anything other than a reduction in their pay, it is perhaps you who needs to open their lids.

refer to my previous message
    "The Unions at least are trying to form a rump opposition to this theft."

Perhaps if more people had been Union members, then the convenient downsizing practised by many Companies may not have been quite so virulent.

I never said the Unions were perfect , and they have their own agendas to be sure. However, can you see anyone else fighting for the PAYE classes ?

With reference to your previous, you do me a mis-service when you mention a member of your family and "capitalist vermin". I never used those words in my original post and certainly would not denigrate someones family. However, you and many others , need to be wary of becoming "useful idiots" for the agenda of the Banks/ Builders and Government. They are only too happy to see the PAYE classes infighting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Dont let this develop into a civil war among us,

Maybe we should have a civil war after all, between idiots and non idiots. It will be our own form of evolution be design.

Jip wrote: »
    Maybe we should have a civil war after all, between idiots and non idiots. It will be our own form of evolution be design.

I concur. Please expand. I'm interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭dsane1

Back on thread ,do we have a bus service on friday ? Someone must know.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

this is only a general march and protest as such, not an official strike iirc

any staff members due to work need to take annual leave to go to the protests, so normal working staff should be working as normal!

same goes for the civil service, public service etc etc

although wether enough people turn up to cause delays due to shear volumes is another question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

dsane1 wrote: »
    Back on thread ,do we have a bus service on friday ?

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭glanman

No delays on trains either so??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

glanman wrote: »
    No delays on trains either so??

Shouldnt be.

They are marching from parnell square to merrion square so traffic may be abcked up/stopped for a while!?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

everybody get the letter and little page of stickers in the post today?

i did!

Advertisement