Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BREAKING NEWS IN SLIGO CITY HALL

Options
  • 02-11-2009 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

The Mayor of Sligo, Cllr Jim McGarry has ignored the democratic right of Sligo constituents by locking demonstrators out of the council chambers while the Council undertakes a vote on whether or not to reopen Sligo's O'Connell Street to traffic. The demonstrators gathered at the Council Chambers at 7.30pm this evening (Mon 02 Nov) to express public dissatisfaction at the proposed reopening of the street to traffic on 09 December. Public support for the street remaining pedestrianised has been growing over the past few months with thousands of members of the public signing petitions and emailing and calling Sligo's Councillors. Many members of the public chose to exercise their democratic right by being present at the vote this evening, yet Cllr McGarry refused them that right by locking the chamber doors. (The result of the vote has not yet been announced, as of 9pm this evening)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

How can people who are elected by the people to represent the people stop them from entering a meeting that is of interest to them. I would understand if if these people were being violent, abusive or disrupting the proceedings, but surely he should have allowed them to enter at the start and see how they conducted themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Surely one thread is enough for us to discuss this subject????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

BREAKING NEWS!!!? Hardly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Hmm. I would have thought that for security reasons people wouldn't be allowed in to the chamber?

Are people who are "not protesting" allowed into the Chamber during council meetings?
    If not then why would demonstrators be allowed in?
    If people are allowed in normally then fair enough you have a point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Gillie wrote: »
    Hmm. I would have thought that for security reasons people wouldn't be allowed in to the chamber?

Are people who are "not protesting" allowed into the Chamber during council meetings?
    If not then why would demonstrators be allowed in?
    If people are allowed in normally then fair enough you have a point.

The public are entitled to attend any council meeting unless the councillors wish to discuss something sensitive and vote to exclude them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

They were standing outside banging drums, I wouldn't let them in either.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

To be fair to the samba band when councillor asked them to stop they did and no one passed any heed of us until the samba band started playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

The council chamber has space for about 30 members of the public the majority of which were occupied by residents of East Ward who gathered at the Town Hall at 7pm last Monday in order to attend the meeting. Obviously the rights of elderly Working Class people cannot compare to the rights of arty types to bang their drums or the need of the greasy tiller business elite to line their pockets.

But perhaps when you stopped making a racket and finished counting your money consider the case of the old age pensioner who has a weekly appointment at Sligo General and whose taxi journey must follow the following route; a tour of Sligo traffic congestion if you like.

Over Cranmore road,
    Then up the Nuns Hill,
    Across Pearse Road and over lower Saint Brigids,
    Down MCR,
    turn left over Temple St,
    Down Adelaide Street,
    Right into Wine Street,
    Over the Bridge,
    Left into the Line,
    Right onto Connaughton Road and finally onto the Mall.

I have this information off the Cabbie; that it takes her from 20 to 40 minutes from her house depending on traffic with the poor old dear frantic about missing her appointment and trying to pay extra money for the time taken.

Please do not start bleating on about "oh they don't want a bridge over there, it is their own fault". Close O' Connell Street by all means but close it when there is an Eastern river crossing in place or not at all. In the meantime find somewhere else to drum.

I would have thought the obvious route was down through cranmore through St annes left at the abbey onto teeling street up to high street left on to john street and right onto adelaide street.

Six of one I'd say. You'd be as quick coming down MCR sure John Street is a disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

I would have thought the obvious route was down through cranmore through St annes left at the abbey onto teeling street up to high street then on to O Connell Street.

I have corrected your post, Bleeding obvious innit!

:D LOL

I have corrected your post, Bleeding obvious innit!

Nice one but you'lbe still in castlel street afaik because afaik they will have a pedestrian crossing at the gratten street entrance another in the middle set of ligts at the PO top end and then another pedestrian crossing on the bridge at the glasshouse plus they will only have one lane of traffic on it when they open it so actually you'll still be in teeling street or high street trying to get to o connell street. A quicker route is either out on the dual carridgeway and down ash lane or out by carraroe via dromahair and come in that way by hazelwood

Advertisement