Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Economics book - teaching myself

Options
  • 02-11-2009 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hi

I am planning to teach myself Economics. I am current in sixth year, and although it is already November, I'm hoping I will have enough time to start Economics and teach myself.

Is Economics difficult to understand, when you teach it to yourself?
    What is the best textbook for Economics?
    Is 100% of the marks going for the written exam in June, or are there any pre-submitted reports etc.?

Thanks in advance for the advice. I hope I have enough time to complete the course in just one year (actually less than one year - this is November).

The reason I want to pick up Economics is because I am very bad at French, and Irish is difficult to get an A in (not just my opinion, I think a lot would agree with me).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

To be honest Economics isn't the best subject to be teaching yourself, it helps to have a good teacher to explain things. I love it and find it really easy. You either love it or hate it. I use understanding economics, its pretty good. Theres only the exam in June, no projects or anything. It is a pretty short course and you could probably do it in the year but I wouldn't count on getting high marks in it. It just depends how you take to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭FridaysWell

Hey,

Well all the text books out there aren't very good but we use Modern Economics and it's decent. The best way to learn it though is to have a good teacher and a very good set of notes! Once you get the basics of economics, its easy. You are going to have to work real hard though if you want to do well! Keep testing yourself and if you are doing any questions, try find a way to get your questions marked by an economics teacher!

Best of Luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

Hey! I would definetly recommend rapid revision. I'm doing it myself too and it seems to have enough info to do the exam papers.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭DC09

jc2008 wrote: »
    Hi

I am planning to teach myself Economics. I am current in sixth year, and although it is already November, I'm hoping I will have enough time to start Economics and teach myself.

Is Economics difficult to understand, when you teach it to yourself?
    What is the best textbook for Economics?
    Is 100% of the marks going for the written exam in June, or are there any pre-submitted reports etc.?

Thanks in advance for the advice. I hope I have enough time to complete the course in just one year (actually less than one year - this is November).

The reason I want to pick up Economics is because I am very bad at French, and Irish is difficult to get an A in (not just my opinion, I think a lot would agree with me).
    I started a month ago with Rapid Revision, but i bought the full book too (you would need it for a good mark): http://www.wiseowl.ie/product-detail/29697/O__39_grady_+Denis+L_/Economics+-+Book+_amp_+Workbook

Advertisement