Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celing spot lights draughts - how to stop them

• 02-11-2009 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

Have some celing spot lights in a few different areas in the house.
    Its a bungalo so on the cold windy nights, i feel a few draughs coming down from the attic.

They are easily accessible from the attic.

Looking for some advice on how i can seal them from above to stop the draughts.

Have to be careful - dont want to burn the house down!!

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭ninjaBob

I know my neighbour put up Ceramic Pots (for planting). Taped them to the ceiling and insulated around them. The pot was to ensure the insulation wasn't directly touching the spot.

He has a bugalow and had easy access to his ceiling spots through his attic space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

A friend of mine had the same problem have almost 30 downlights in his bungalow
    we have isulated the attic between the rafters and filled all the gaps
    We left a space between isulation and roof felt
    The draft was gone and he was the only one last winter who had an icy white roof no heatloss anymore and no drafts trough downlights anymore
    I do the same at my roof at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

Any risk of the downlights overheat through lack of cooling?

Probably not so much of an issue with LED lamps, just wondering...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭PaddyThai

I would replace all bulbs with GU10 Led bulbs. These are more expensive but use much less electricity. More importantly, in your case, they do not generate much heat so the risk of fire or other problems is eliminated. You should then be able to insulate over all your attic.

LED GU10s also last longer. I recently got some called ecopal but something called lumen is a good alternative. See Electrical forum on boards for more detailed info.

Advertisement