Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Day on the Eastside :(

Options
  • 02-11-2009 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭

Went to park my bike outside Nestors Supervalue out in Ballybrit to go in and get some steak, 4 young knackers that always seem to hang around there surrounded me, demanded the bike and a fiver and my phone, the leader said if I locked my bike he'd stab me, so I had to kind of shoulder past him and pedal off, they broke my mudguard as I went, the security guard from Supervalu stood there doing nothing, Im going to ring and tell them Im never going in their shop again because of it. So I went to the butchers over beside Londis next to Thermo King to get the steak, turns out it burned down last night, and the hairdressers 2 doors down from it had been ram-raided at the weekend, society is collapsing frown.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

The Mervue Londis burned down????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

That's sad to hear! My bro used to work in the video store there and had some stories about those young lads. As much as he had funny ones (one smart arse seven year old who came in and threw some fighting Dvd on the counter saying "I want this DVD, a bag of Popcorn and your phone") he had some scary ones. The young lads who hang about there are brazen as anything and the security guards are afraid to do anything because of how they might retaliate.

Might sound like a joke that young lads tried to rob your bike, but I know from growing up in that area, it ain't funny at all:(

Hadn't realised the butchers was burned, that's terible. I know a lad who works there too:(

Places broke into in Castlelawn aswell... Scum.

In the long run, it's only a matter of time before tougher gangs try move in on Galway.. Like when the lads landed into Limerick from London.

Hopefully I'll be gone tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

In the long run, it's only a matter of time before tougher gangs try move in on Galway.. Like when the lads landed into Limerick from London.

I believe certain Dubs are making full use of citilinks 1 Euro Dublin Galway fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Fuinseog wrote: »
    I believe certain Dubs are making full use of citilinks 1 Euro Dublin Galway fare.

Not sure how true that is tho, citylink only offer a limited number of one euro seats on each route (the lady in the office was unable to give a figure :cool: but when my boyf booked bus tickets weeks in advance only two were available).

Can;t find on the news about the butchers burning down tho.. any one have any info?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Jesus Christ - that's terrible :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

They didnt get my phone or any money or the bike I should say after re-reading the OP, apart from a €20 mudguard that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

when did london lads land into limerick:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Daragh101 wrote: »
    Geezers wouldn't last 2 minutes in stab

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Not sure how true that is tho, citylink only offer a limited number of one euro seats on each route (the lady in the office was unable to give a figure :cool: but when my boyf booked bus tickets weeks in advance only two were available).

Can;t find on the news about the butchers burning down tho.. any one have any info?

Heard it on the GBFM news today that the apartment above the butchers was on fire, hope the butchers didn't go up as well. I know the owner, he's one of my uncles best mates :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

When I lived there it used to be just funny little bold mouthed kids, used to get great craic out of them, I suppose they grew up and got more brazen, way it goes. :(

The Mervue shops used to be where the tougher teenage asses hung around but as I was local I got left alone (or my dog minded while I was in the shop). They used to give workers from the factory or students a terrible hard time going in and coming out.

Heard about the hairdressers alright and that they were "local". Didn't hear about the fire though.

Jaysus, the Mammy will never get her house sold. ;)

Mike... wrote: »
    Geezers wouldn't last 2 minutes in stab

England has 100 times the gang problem we do... Of course they'd last.

One half of the McCarthyDundon outfit used to be a gang in London.. Then everything went bad over there so they came back to family in Limerick. That's when everything started down there. They arrived with automatic machine guns and everyone had to up their game.

That's what I was told and a google search there seems to turn up the same story.. I could be wrong obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

One half of the McCarthyDundon outfit used to be a gang in London.. Then everything went bad over there so they came back to family in Limerick. That's when everything started down there. They arrived with automatic machine guns and everyone had to up their game.

That's what I was told and a google search there seems to turn up the same story.. I could be wrong obviously.

ya but most the gang members in london are usally black wannabeees smoking dope on street corners.....In limerick the gang members are little groups of annoying scumbags....or tinkers!!.....neither of which I of would call hardcore gangsters!
    I wouldnt call it a gang problem, but more antisocial behavior than anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Thargor wrote: »
    I went to the butchers over beside Londis next to Thermo King to get the steak, turns out it burned down last night

Can you imagine the smell coming from that? Mmmnn :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Went to park my bike outside Nestors Supervalue out in Ballybrit to go in and get some steak, 4 young knackers that always seem to hang around there surrounded me, demanded the bike and a fiver and my phone, the leader said if I locked my bike he'd stab me, so I had to kind of shoulder past him and pedal off, they broke my mudguard as I went, the security guard from Supervalu stood there doing nothing, Im going to ring and tell them Im never going in their shop again because of it. So I went to the butchers over beside Londis next to Thermo King to get the steak, turns out it burned down last night, and the hairdressers 2 doors down from it had been ram-raided at the weekend, society is collapsing frown.gif

That was your first mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Unfortunately it is not the security guard's duty in Supervalu to mind your bike and nor should he be responsible for anything that happens outside his workplace. Presume he was not responsible for the car park. It was a terrible incident and something has become very familiar in galway city. Jeeze look at the Knocknacarra incidents on Halloween night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭GuessWho2009

seriously gettin bad round here, them scum bags that done the barbers in mervue and the chinese and butchers in castlelawn are either brothers or cousins, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. scum of scum they be lucky to get 2 weeks in prision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭qwytre

I wouldn't blame the security guard. He is employed to look after Supervalue, not intervene in a public disturbance. On a personal level yes he probably should have stepped in to help you but who is to say he has been instructed not to get involved with things like that outside of the premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Mods, names are getting named here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

This info is correct. I think they were a nasty freak for Limerick though and it shouldn't happen in Galway. I read about some stuff they were doing as pups in London and they were very vicious from the off, beating up of pensioners in flats. Limerick had some tough guys for sure pre-2000 and it had a drug trade (what town in Ireland doesn't :() but this London scum brought it to a whole new level and are key to the feud down there.

OP - worth a call to the cops? just to register it if nothing else. If you don't tell 'em, they can't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think the key to stop it is to nip it the bud, before they turn to more serious criminality, not that mugging people is light-weight.
    Often these kids are 1) bored and 2) get away with it - this leads to worse offences because no-one says "enough".
    Do inform the guards, if you have it on CCTV too from the shop at least the incident in down on paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

qwytre wrote: »
    I wouldn't blame the security guard. He is employed to look after Supervalue, not intervene in a public disturbance. On a personal level yes he probably should have stepped in to help you but who is to say he has been instructed not to get involved with things like that outside of the premises.

I wouldnt blame the guard, but if between the two of them, they gave these young pups a right good kicking, they'd feic off to some other place for good, its the only thing they understand, sadly im afraid

ya but most the gang members in london are usally black wannabeees smoking dope on street corners.....In limerick the gang members are little groups of annoying scumbags....or tinkers!!.....neither of which I of would call hardcore gangsters!
    I wouldnt call it a gang problem, but more antisocial behavior than anything!
    It is a gang problem.. They import and deal heroin etc and have a rivalry with another drug gang which has ended up in alot of deaths.

Anti-social behaviour is fighting outside supermacs. These guys are knackers at the end of the day but are also an organised outfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

The parents should be held responsible. If they are on benefits the least they can do to return the favour to the country is to keep their little brats in line. If they won't come down tough on their kids and make them behave, their benefits should be stopped (no dole, no rent allowance, no childrens allowance....nothing). They should be put out on the street to starve.

I know there are some parents who try their best but still have troublesome kids. But there are many who don't try at all. Also, there is a fair share of parents who work and don't do anything about their bratty kids; I'm sure there are ways other than cutting off benefits to penalise them.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Granted he was just acting the jumped up little bolix but is that not a serious threat?? :eek: Although you probably actually have to be stabbed for the guards to do something about it these days..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Not really any different from threatening to break someones neck though is it? He didnt seem to have a knife so it would be like arresting someone for a figure of speech, the Guards wouldnt give a **** if I brought them this story.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

my 2 cents worth...
    Someone asked you for bike+money+phone and threatened to stab you. You post on boards.ie - have you reported the incdent to the Gardai ? if not, are you looking for boardsie justice?
    by not reporting this, nothing can possibly be done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

How the hell do you burn down a butchers shop? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

fmul9798 wrote: »
    my 2 cents worth...
    Someone asked you for bike+money+phone and threatened to stab you. You post on boards.ie - have you reported the incdent to the Gardai ? if not, are you looking for boardsie justice?
    by not reporting this, nothing can possibly be done about it.

At least by posting it here people will be aware that there is a gang of brats hanging around that area. There's no harm in people being informed of things like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,585 ✭✭✭✭kippy

KevR wrote: »
    At least by posting it here people will be aware that there is a gang of brats hanging around that area. There's no harm in people being informed of things like that.

OP
    You've really got to report this stuff.
    There are certain areas around town which have always had these elements around them, its not a new thing per se.
    No harm in informing people, yeah, but it wont do much to stop it.

Advertisement