Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar Strumming: Arm or Wrist?

Options
  • 02-11-2009 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭

Watched a video last week that told me I could tighten up my strumming by using the wrist. Spent the week integrating it into my play then watched another video saying arm only.

I go to google and there's arguments over which one...

Is it just preference or is there a proper way?

Considering a teacher to avoid this ****e...

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

like most things on guitar i would say its what your most comfortable with but if pressed for an answer i would imagine its the wrist! bit of a waste of energy using your whole arm?? just focus on using your wrist loosley!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

It's obviously pesonal preference at the end of the day, but i'd definitely say wrist. Feels a lot more natural for me and I think it helps your picking technique too, try intricate picking using your arm as a lever!:rolleyes:

Plus, it looks better too:p Have a look at the arctic monkeys playing live, that'll turn you off using your arm!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭funkydunkey

i suppose it boils down to what you want to play, for any punk/loud rock stuff with a loose jam band feel you'll get away with using you arm, but if you want to play anything with intricate lead or tight rhythm&riffs you'll have to get used to using the wrist. look at lizzy/metallica/gallagher for elec and rod&gab, mark knofler, paul brady and rory again for acoustic. all really emphasise wrist, whereas say the clash, pistols and greenday would all be heavy on the arm.
    hope this helps.

edit: check out this one of paul brady http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6XPuwIz298

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I heard a good tip that someone told me from a guitar playing masterclass. Someone asked this exact question, so the lecturer turned around to the black board, got a bit of chalk, and said something like, "If I want to write my name really small, I'll just use my fingers and my wrist, but if I want to write it really big, I'll use my whole arm". I thought it was a good time.

IMO, there's no 'right' way - do whatever you need to get the right sound. If that means really tight, controlled picking, then cool, but if it means throwing your guitar around like a madman and strumming a whole foot past the strings on either side, then equally cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

Thanks a lot, exactly what I was looking for!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

A bit of both i'ld say. The more important thing while strumming is to make sure you've got your hand completely relaxed so you can move your hand in smooth motions. And then it's really what feels more comfortable to you. A few really good giitarists i know use their arms to strum mainly and use small wrist and finger motions to add those extra dynamics into the strumming which make the song more alive.

So yeah i'ld say however you feel comfortable but make sure you have your arm relaxed while at it and keep it smooth and even...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭-=al=-

wrist more so for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭!_Brian_!

I would imagine it depends entirely on what you are playing at the time. If you rockin out with tight triplets and intricate down picking patterns I'd keep your wrist close to the saddle and keep it tight and controlled. On the other hand (ha) if your banging out some tunes on an acoustic you need to use your whole arm to get the dynamics and 6 sting triplets etc. Obviously these are both extremes, polar opposites if you will, so it really depends on what your playing and more importantly, whats most comfortable for you.

Advertisement