Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

308 semi auto

Options
  • 02-11-2009 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭

Hey all. Just curious as to the possibility of licensing a semi auto 308 here now; something like the mini thirty or the Saiga rifles and PTR 91s you see alot in the UK?
    Has anyone seen any of these licensed??

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

Hibrion wrote: »
    Hey all. Just curious as to the possibility of licensing a semi auto 308 here now; something like the mini thirty or the Saiga rifles and PTR 91s you see alot in the UK?
    Has anyone seen any of these licensed??

Thanks.

I'sayyour chances are very good you should go and buy one :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

If you can give 'Good reason' for wanting/use of a 308 semi-auto then you have as much chance of getting one as you would any restricted gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

4gun wrote: »

Just curious, no need for the sarcasm.

A lot of people seem to be able to license M1 Garrands and such so why would a mini thirty be so different?

Just curious, no need for the sarcasm.

A lot of people seem to be able to license M1 Garrands and such so why would a mini thirty be so different?
    i'm sorry I thought you were joking when I googled and saw what you were looking to get
    there is a classic rifle club that kinda covers the garand

Not looking to get one, was just wondering if anyone had seen any over here seen as they are quite popular in the UK.
    Not every post is about a possible purchase, just a random curiousity:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Since Hungerford,all semi rifles above.22 LR are illegal.
    The "semi autos" in the UK are actually straight pull bolt actions.Simply these are semi lookalikes with no gas/recoil system,either chopped out or made like so from the manufactures.

As for purchasing one,why the Heck not if you can prove good reason.I had the pleasure and privilige of viewing and handling one of our members on boards here semi recently.And very nice it was too.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I would say (as clivej said) if you have/had a good reason there is no reason why you could not get a license for one.

The mini thirty is the rifle that most resembles a hunting style rifle and would cause the least amount of raised eyebrows. The Saiga and more so the PTR 91 are very similar to the L1A1 self loading rifle and would carry the label of "tactical" or "military" style so from looks alone ( and as with the SIs/guidelines that deal with folding stocks and "dangerous" looking firearms ) may be harder to justify.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Didn't know that about the UK Grizzly, I figured they were semi auto. I guess they don't license firearms based on how "evil" they look over there:rolleyes:.
    Its interesting that the mini thirty would probably be easier to license even though they all shoot the same.

Its a pain in the ass alright. Don't want for this comment to take the thread off topic but if certain firearms are much easier to license than others (which seems to be the case) will it not create (however small) monopolies for certain manufacturers?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Oh,I dunno Ez.There are now plenty of total civillian style made semi rifles without all the evillll milspec features out there.
    HK makes one,Saiga is available in a civvie woodstock version with a normal pistol grip.As is its shotgun ..Mauser:eek: one of the most hidebound trad gunmakers are making a semi rifle in some huge calibres,like 9.3X

Browning has been making the BAR[not the old machine gun] in various cals for years.As has Remington with the Woodsmaster seris.ALL without any tactical or military looks,or even Hi cap mags.
    It looks like some makers are now waking up to the fact that technology has moved on abit and that there is a demand out there for semis with or without military features.Still the most pouplar selling type of gun in Germany for three years running, any type of semi auto rifle.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Not looking to get one, was just wondering if anyone had seen any over here seen as they are quite popular in the UK.
    Not every post is about a possible purchase, just a random curiousity:)
    :o
    again my apologies, i stand corrected :o

Suppose it would. Maybe there's a standard payoff to get on the new approved pistol list:D.

:o
    again my apologies, i stand corrected :o
    no worries

also the new S.I 's say that you won't get a firearm thats restricted if there is a non restricted that will do the job so that would probably rule out any center fire simi

Didn't know that about the UK Grizzly, I figured they were semi auto. I guess they don't license firearms based on how "evil" they look over there:rolleyes:.
    Its interesting that the mini thirty would probably be easier to license even though they all shoot the same.

Ah! But they did!!The reason semi rifles were banned was because of Hungerford.And this seems to be the paranoia about these type of guns and handguns.Ban or restrict them and potential massacres wont happen.:rolleyes: God help us and the authorithy if anyone ever loses their rag,and gets up in a high rise with a bog std hunting rifle,and actually knows how to use it.:eek:

also the new S.I 's say that you won't get a firearm thats restricted if there is a non restricted that will do the job so that would probably rule out any center fire simi

Not quite there are plenty of good reasons for a semi.

But Grizzly, the 308 bullet from a tacticool, evil, black, semi auto is much more dangerous than a bolt action:rolleyes: and only truly psychotic people would want anything other than a walnut stock:D

Fair point Grizzly. I had a similar "discussion" with a lad a few weeks ago. He insisted that i had no chance of getting my license back for my TRG. Said the Gardai would not license a "military" style rifle. He told me i would have to get a different style rifle. My response was " i'm free to choose any rifle i want. I picked a Sako, and for target work in .308 calibre Sako do the TRG. So ring Sako tell them that they have to change the style of their rifles".

The point i wanted to get across to him was if i granted a license on a .308, bolt action rifle what difference does it make how the stock looks. I've no control over that and for anyone to push a particular make of rifle over another would lead to a monopoly.

Kinda explained that a**e about face but i hope you get the idea behind my ramblings. :D

Guess somone should have told Charles Whitman that in 1966 on the Texas tower.:rolleyes: He used a 3006 Garand,commonly availabe in Walnut.;)

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Guess somone should have told Charles Whitman that in 1966 on the Texas tower.:rolleyes: He used a 3006 Garand,commonly availabe in Walnut.;)
    My point exactly!

• Advertisement

Its not the gun, its the "nut behind the butt". Always has been always will be.

ezridax wrote: »
    Its not the gun, its the "nut behind the butt". Always has been always will be.
    Very true, it would have been great if the new licensing system licensed the individual rather than each firearm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Would you like to elaborate and explain what they are say over a bolt action ?

I'd give you acouple BS.But there is no point in giving all and sundry ideas on how to counter good reason applications.
    The enemy reads here as well.So sorry if I dont want to give them free advice anymore.:)

Does anyone buy the reason OMOL idea wasnt pushed because of new EU legislation???
    I dont ,considering it would require the EU to adapt an Irish style liscense system of each gun being individually liscensed.I]I]Ala carte[I[/I EU membership again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Seen one of these in 308 at a range a few weeks ago, the owner uses it for driven boar hunts in Poland!

His FO told him its not restricted:eek:

http://www.impactguns.com/store/benelli_r1_rifles.html

murph226 wrote: »
    His FO told him its not restricted

Get me his area, i'm moving there and putting in for one of these

Barrett_50_cal_sniper_rifle.jpg

:)

can you give some please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

What kind of bullsh!t post is that? Really?

OP, I know my super wouldn't grant it. I would barely get a .22 semi.

I was pretty sure that .22 was the highest calibre you could get in semi auto? Is this an old rule or was it ever there in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

4gun - I question your motives.

B'Man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

If there granting licences for 223 semi"black guns"...Why not a 243/7mm08/308.....
    Theres a good few rem r-15s in 223 getting around.if the wholesalers can import them whats to stop the r-15`s big brother the r-25 coming in?

Advertisement