Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

308 semi auto

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

murph226 wrote: »
    Seen one of these in 308 at a range a few weeks ago, the owner uses it for driven boar hunts in Poland!

His FO told him its not restricted:eek:

http://www.impactguns.com/store/benelli_r1_rifles.html
    Whether a firearm is declared restricted or not is primarily the responsibility of the applicant. Anyone who would take the word of a Garda (who isn't going to carry the can if he's wrong) when the legislation is as clear as day needs to re-evaluate their position as a responsible firearms owner.

All semi-auto rifles above .22 calibre are restricted. People here should know better :(

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Does anyone buy the reason OMOL idea wasnt pushed because of new EU legislation???
    I dont ,considering it would require the EU to adapt an Irish style liscense system of each gun being individually liscensed.I]I]Ala carte[I[/I EU membership again!
    Whoever told you that Grizzly, was talking through an orifice not normally associated with speech. :p

It doesn't take a genius to figure out why one person one licence wasn't a runner; a quick look at the new licences would tell you that :rolleyes:

PULSE is not able for it, it can barely cope with the new licence.

And why would our licence have any affect on the rest of the EU? Firearms licensing is one of the areas that the EU don't interfere in a member state's affairs other than where it intersects with the rest of the EU such as with the EFP or imports and exports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

What kind of bullsh!t post is that? Really?

OP, I know my super wouldn't grant it. I would barely get a .22 semi.

I was pretty sure that .22 was the highest calibre you could get in semi auto? Is this an old rule or was it ever there in the first place?

It's often refered to the "lowest form of wit"
    Bananaman wrote: »
    4gun - I question your motives.

B'Man

world domination

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

4gun wrote: »
    also the new S.I 's say that you won't get a firearm thats restricted if there is a non restricted that will do the job so that would probably rule out any center fire simi

Unless the rumoured wild boar population explodes and we start to have driven shoots that is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

[
    quote=rrpc;62821088]Whoever told you that Grizzly, was talking through an orifice not normally associated with speech.
    :p

100%Right about that RRPC it was in a DOJ/FCP statement.If I remember correctly,actually it is here somwhere posted on the boards.:D:D
    It doesn't take ato figur genius e out why one person one licence wasn't a runner; a quick look at the new licences would tell you that :rolleyes:
    Right again, the rule of the seven P's come to mind.

PULSE is not able for it, it can barely cope with the new licence.
    And why would our licence have any affect on the rest of the EU? Firearms licensing is one of the areas that the EU don't interfere in a member state's affairs other than where it intersects with the rest of the EU such as with the EFP or imports and exports.

Because RR,the EU [and UN ]in their drive to make the World 100% safe want to introduce a liscensing system for all small arms that would accompany it from manufacture to destruction.AND that it would have to be reviewed every year,yo make sure it hasnt been aquired for illegal purposes and sold off to 3rd world countries so kid soilders can massacre villages out in Bongo or Borat land somwhere. Laudable aim.Laughable in reality.But then Reality of the real world has obviously never been a concern in Brussles has it?? Ergo our lot used this BS as an excuse to not bother introducing OMOL as well with the attitude"Ah shure the EU whom we must all obey[when it suits us] is going to go for this,so why bother changing our system Too much???"
    We really should pay more attention to Brussles nowadays.There will be plenty more shte coming down that pipe soon for us.:(:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

4gun wrote: »
    can you give some please

I'd give you acouple BS.But there is no point in giving all and sundry ideas on how to counter good reason applications.
    The enemy reads here as well.So sorry if I dont want to give them free advice anymore.smile.gif

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

:p
    100%Right about that RRPC it was in a DOJ/FCP statement.If I remember correctly,actually it is here somwhere posted on the boards.:D:D
    I think you'll find your recollection is faulty.
    Because RR,the EU [and UN ]in their drive to make the World 100% safe want to introduce a liscensing system for all small arms that would accompany it from manufacture to destruction.AND that it would have to be reviewed every year,yo make sure it hasnt been aquired for illegal purposes and sold off to 3rd world countries so kid soilders can massacre villages out in Bongo or Borat land somwhere. Laudable aim.Laughable in reality.But then Reality of the real world has obviously never been a concern in Brussles has it?? Ergo our lot used this BS as an excuse to not bother introducing OMOL as well with the attitude"Ah shure the EU whom we must all obey[when it suits us] is going to go for this,so why bother changing our system Too much???"
    We really should pay more attention to Brussles nowadays.There will be plenty more shte coming down that pipe soon for us.:(:(
    That's not a licensing system, it's a traceability system and is based on the serial number of the firearm. The only interface to our licensing system is by reason of serial numbers being recorded on our licences.

Not the same thing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

rrpc wrote: »
    I think you'll find your recollection is faulty.
    Erm, actually rrpc, I remember that coming out from the DoJ at one point myself. Not sure if it ever came out in an official statement though.

Sparks wrote: »
    Erm, actually rrpc, I remember that coming out from the DoJ at one point myself. Not sure if it ever came out in an official statement though.
    Well I certainly don't. The official reason was that PULSE wasn't up to the task and that's pretty obvious.

There may have been some talk that the system would be revisited when the new directive on recording of serial numbers was to be adopted but that's hardly the same as saying the EU directive was stopping the introduction of single person licensing.

Uh huh!RR and the reason they were talking about an annual liscense was,because once you have a firearm in Europe you have it for life,and it is your property.As you do your liscense.You have done the tests,exams etc.Thats it you are competant to own any type of gun in the class of your liscense.
    So say ,if you wanted to flog yours to another individual,the onus is on the PURCHASER to inform the authorthies that he bought the gun of Mr Grizzly.All Grizzly has to do is go to his town council and say,I sold this gun to a Mr RRPC of Xville,Germany.Grand says the council and marks Grizzlys gun as sold.,and puts a bunch of dashes thru his liscense and date stamps it.
    Now wether Mr RR goes and registers it or claims to flog it off to somone else,who uses it for somthing dodgy is where the problem starts.It is virtually unknown for police to pitch up at your door wanting to inspect your guns.It is done on a security of safe category.
    1to 2 guns.Tin boxes like what we have here.8plus.Bank vault style safe,or strongroom.
    So what was happening were strawman purchases,and this got the brains of Brussles thinking that some sort of inspection and traceability of legally held firearms would be a good idea,after all that way the kiddies in Africa will be saved by not getting access to hunting rifles or shotguns form Europe.The few million Aks down there?Ah..welll nothing can be done about that now!
    So who has got an annual renewal or some type of renewal system for their permits in the EU??Of course the UK and Ireland!!And they dont have any gun crime at all due to their tough laws on gun ownership!!So lets look at them as paragons of gun free societies..:rolleyes:
    Be incredlious and dismissive if you want,but that and some more loonier ideas do come from brussles with this kind of thought process.

Am looking for that statement.I am sure it was posted in some discussion or quote system here over the last 12 days.As otherwise I wouldnt have mentioned it.
    After reading Sparks and your replies
    Didnt say it was stopping it.I said it wouldnt be adapted due to the fact that in probability the EU would demand achange in the system EU wide,and our lot boxed clever [for once???] in saying then there is no point in wasting a load of money again in acouple of years having to re install a system we more or less have already,and just needs tweaking to EU demands,so we'll keep the shooters happy by going to three years rather than five in case this does become law.Thats the way I read it,and does explain some of the "odd" info requirements on the new forms.They dont make sense in an Irish context,but in an EU context they certainly do.

• Advertisement

Well I certainly don't. The official reason was that PULSE wasn't up to the task and that's pretty obvious.
    Found what I was remembering - it was said at the FCP conference in Mullingar:
    Sparks wrote:
    The One Man One Licence topic arose again, and again the response was that it looks logical (though apparently some EU states prefer our system) but we're bound by the '06 act and must finish implementing that before we could move on to OMOL. There are also serious IT difficulties (PULSE can't do OMOL right now it seems).
    Times may have changed since then, or DoJ folks might have changed their mind, but at the time, "PULSE can't do it" wasn't the official reason (being bound by Irish legislation was), and there was serious emphasis put on how the other EU states just loved our system and wanted to use it instead.

So what was happening were strawman purchases,and this got the brains of Brussles thinking that some sort of inspection and traceability of legally held firearms would be a good idea,after all that way the kiddies in Africa will be saved by not getting access to hunting rifles or shotguns form Europe.The few million Aks down there?Ah..welll nothing can be done about that now!
    That's not quite what happened Grizzly, unless we're calling the H&K MP5 a hunting rifle.
    The problem was with arms dealers bypassing EU and UN trade restrictions and outright blockades through fairly hinky practices like shipping parts around the place, relabelling stuff and redirecting shipments and so on.
    The small arms tracking stuff the EU's brought in in the last few years is all specifically aimed at the few million AKs (and MP5s and G36s and so forth), and hunting and sporting firearms are specifically exempted in the directives. In fact the directives are really clear - they see the europass (which is an entitlement for all licence holders) as being the sole document needed to travel in the EU with your firearm, and they have whole classes of firearms that need no licence and a whole class in there doesn't even need registration. In terms of firearms law, the EU is far more shooter-friendly than its member states are...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

T In terms of firearms law, the EU is far more shooter-friendly than its member states are...

Which is handy but the Member states firearms law overrides the EU legislation.:rolleyes:

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Which is handy but the Member states firearms law overrides the EU legislation.:rolleyes:
    I know :(

That's not quite what happened Grizzly, unless we're calling the H&K MP5 a hunting rifle

Errrr.Yes it is in Germany Sparks,so long as it is a SEMI AUTO!!With a3 shot magazine.They are called nachsuche gewher [TRANS ] tracking gun.
    This is used for coup de grace shots on injured game,and is preferred by some hunters rather than a pistol... A glance on Egun will show what can be used as tracking guns.Everything from repro Shmeissers and Thompsons to Chopped HK G3 308 rifles. Unfortuneatly those kind of guns are falling outside this arms trafficking remit,as they are classfiied as "weapons of war" with no sporting purpose.That big definition again worldwide.

The problem was with arms dealers bypassing EU and UN trade restrictions and outright blockades through fairly hinky practices like shipping parts around the place, relabelling stuff and redirecting shipments and so on.
    The small arms tracking stuff the EU's brought in in the last few years is all specifically aimed at the few million AKs (and MP5s and G36s and so forth),
    Which is std gunrunning practises for decades,and has gone or had and still has quite a few blind eyes turned to it by various EU member states [When suits of course].Be as it may gunrunners rarely ,ever deal in sporting firearms or semi rifles.Logically why would they bother,when they can hop over to Kaliningrad [The current arms,drugs,and prostitution Mecca close to Europe] and buy a few crates ofbrand new Aks and proably a dozen sate of the art T72 s,freshly nicked out of Ivans barracks this morning??They will ship it for a fee anywhere to the Worlds troublespots from Kgrad.Without ever touching EU terrority,by rights this is more EU "feelgood" legislation which does nothing to slow down the intl arms trafficking.
    and hunting and sporting firearms are specifically exempted in the directives. In fact the directives are really clear -
    See my point above about Sporting firearms.The definition is very open to wide interpertation as to what EU wide is a sporting firearm
    they see the europass (which is an entitlement for all licence holders) as being the sole document needed to travel in the EU with your firearm, and they have whole classes of firearms that need no licence and a whole class in there doesn't even need registration. In terms of firearms law, the EU is far more shooter-friendly than its member states are...
    In Theory....sofar it still doesnt work like that especially here or the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭PJ Hunter

CJhaughey wrote: »

everyones should be entitled to equal treatment.:rolleyes: was it about following up on the united nations lead and the proliferation of small arms in wars, and not much to do with the bothering eu hunters and target shooters. ireland / united states:eek:

According to the “Small Arms Survey,” a Geneva-based non-governmental organisation, the average number of firearms per 100 people is 46 in Finland, 36 in Cyprus, and 32 in Sweden. These are often used for hunting. In contrast it’s 9 in Estonia and Ireland, 3 in the Netherlands and 1 in Poland.
    In the "United States" the figure is 90 guns per 100 people.

http://www.reuters.com/article/wtMostRead/idUSL2834893820070828

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

.....Errrr.Yes it is in Germany.....

And we wonder why they compare here to US :rolleyes:

And as you refuse to post reason/s for a s/a 308 being more suitable than a b/a I presume you don't have any reasonable ones :p

Errrr.Yes it is in Germany Sparks,so long as it is a SEMI AUTO!!With a3 shot magazine.They are called nachsuche gewher [TRANS ] tracking gun.
    You know, even I have trouble faulting the Powers That Be for looking at an MP5 and thinking it's not really a hunting or sporting firearm.
    Which is std gunrunning practises for decades,and has gone or had and still has quite a few blind eyes turned to it by various EU member states
    Hence the push from the EU to not turn a blind eye to it...
    this is more EU "feelgood" legislation which does nothing to slow down the intl arms trafficking.
    Well, it does - just not outside the EU.
    But feck it, you have to start somewhere.
    See my point above about Sporting firearms.The definition is very open to wide interpertation as to what EU wide is a sporting firearm
    Not so much really, as they were careful with their definitions.
    In Theory....sofar it still doesnt work like that especially here or the UK.
    Again, you're mixing up the EU and its member states. The way the europass is treated here and in the UK is akin to how we still have VRT and do other things that break EU directives.

And as you refuse to post reason/s for a s/a 308 being more suitable than a b/a I presume you don't have any reasonable ones :p

Can't shoot in a VCRAI-style Garand match without a Garand...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

For driven hunting abroad, a semi-auto would be ideal. I'll take a Sauer 303 in .338 Win Mag for boar, please. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

I wouldn't mind getting a go at one of these driven boar hunts. I'd there's a hefty price tag attached to such a trip??

PJ Hunter wrote: »
    According to the “Small Arms Survey,” a Geneva-based non-governmental organisation, the average number of firearms per 100 people is 46 in Finland, 36 in Cyprus, and 32 in Sweden. These are often used for hunting. In contrast it’s 9 in Estonia and Ireland, 3 in the Netherlands and 1 in Poland.
    In the "United States" the figure is 90 guns per 100 people.

http://www.reuters.com/article/wtMostRead/idUSL2834893820070828
    I'd have to question those figures. Either our population has dropped to two and a half million or the number of firearms has risen to 360,000 :eek:

Not the first time those people have been wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Considering it's the 'small arms' survey lets assume it's handguns they are referring to.

Our esteemed Colleagues in the Dail have told us there are (were) 1800 licensed handguns in Ireland

We have a population of c. 4,000,000 (ed?)

That means we have one handgun for every 2222.22 people which is approximately

0.045 handguns for every 100 people

That a lot less than

9 for every 100 people.

(They are out by 20,000% - slight exaggeration.

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Bananaman wrote: »
    Considering it's the 'small arms' survey lets assume it's handguns they are referring to.

Our esteemed Colleagues in the Dail have told us there are (were) 1800 licensed handguns in Ireland

We have a population of c. 4,000,000 (ed?)

That means we have one handgun for every 2222.22 people which is approximately

0.045 handguns for every 100 people

That a lot less than

9 for every 100 people.

(They are out by 20,000% - slight exaggeration.

B'Man
    Small arms are anything below .50 cal. Rifles, pistols etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭PJ Hunter

I'd have to question those figures. Either our population has dropped to two and a half million or the number of firearms has risen to 360,000 :eek:

Not the first time those people have been wrong.

x 2.5
    115 in Finland, 90 in Cyprus, and 80 in Sweden. These are often used for hunting. In contrast it’s 22.5 in Estonia and Ireland, 75 in the Netherlands and 2.5 in Poland.

In the "United States" the figure is :eek: guns per 100 people.

PJ Hunter wrote: »
    x 2.5
    115 in Finland, 90 in Cyprus, and 80 in Sweden. These are often used for hunting. In contrast it’s 22.5 in Estonia and Ireland, 75 in the Netherlands and 2.5 in Poland.

In the "United States" the figure is :eek: guns per 100 people.
    That report is two years old and already has had one email from me ;). The figures for UK and Ireland are wrong as they are based on licence numbers which as a comparison is apples and oranges.

UK doesn't licence airguns, we do. UK has one person one licence, we have one firearm, one licence.

It's estimated that there are over eight million airguns in the UK, all off licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

I had the pleasure and privilige of viewing and handling one of our members on boards here

Hah hah :) Can you tell us which one?

BornToKill wrote: »
    Hah hah :) Can you tell us which one?
    :D:D:D

Splutter...coffee in keyboard damn!

:D:D:D

Perverted minds the both of Ye!:D

"In the "United States" the figure is guns per 100 people."

Now courtsey of Obamalama it is somthing like 200million plus and climbing.That is appx four guns for every member of the US armed services .From cheif of staff down to the latest recruit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

All semi-auto rifles above .22 calibre are restricted. People here should know better :(

I have one firearm, I do not know the laws and regulations to do with every other firearm as it has nothing to do with me. I only know of what I hear from friends and family and on here, about the other types of firearms.

Advertisement